Old May 29th 04, 03:35 PM
Barbara & Joel

Default Transistoring Tubes

I am trying to get some information for a friend of mine. He wants to
transistorize some 01As. I remember that the AWA Old Timers Bulletin had an
article on transistoring WD11s. I made several of these for my Radiolas 111
and 111A and they worked great but I no longer have the article.

Any help on the original article or suggestions for 01A would be appreciated

Thanks

Joel WB2BMH

Old May 31st 04, 03:18 AM
Scott Dorsey

Barbara & Joel wrote:
I am trying to get some information for a friend of mine. He wants to
transistorize some 01As. I remember that the AWA Old Timers Bulletin had an
article on transistoring WD11s. I made several of these for my Radiolas 111
and 111A and they worked great but I no longer have the article.

Any help on the original article or suggestions for 01A would be appreciated

01A should be substitutable with a big zener diode. It'll have to be able
to handle the current, of course, but you can get a string of lower voltage
higher current ones to get the correct regulator drop. Should be no big deal.
--scott
Old May 31st 04, 05:37 AM
exray

Scott Dorsey wrote:

01A should be substitutable with a big zener diode. It'll have to be able
to handle the current, of course, but you can get a string of lower voltage
higher current ones to get the correct regulator drop. Should be no big deal.
--scott

Scott, you're usually a sensible poster but the usenet censors are all
over themselves trying to figger out the "big zener" approach. I have
it on personal authority that 'they' will allow you another stab at this
question. I think they want to see the term "RF" in the answer.

-BM

Old May 31st 04, 02:28 PM
Scott Dorsey

exray wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

01A should be substitutable with a big zener diode. It'll have to be able
to handle the current, of course, but you can get a string of lower voltage
higher current ones to get the correct regulator drop. Should be no big deal.

Scott, you're usually a sensible poster but the usenet censors are all
over themselves trying to figger out the "big zener" approach. I have
it on personal authority that 'they' will allow you another stab at this
question. I think they want to see the term "RF" in the answer.

Well, if you're using the 01A as a reference voltage for a regulator, I
don't see any difference between it and the zeners.

Of course, you could be using it as a noise source... and the 01A does
spew out huge amounts of RF trash. Even more than the zeners will,
and the zeners are noisy as hell.
--scott
Old May 31st 04, 02:47 PM
Dave Stadt

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
exray wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

[...]

According to RCA and GE an 01A is a triode used as an amplifier or a
detector diode. They were around before dirt.

FS: Transmitting Tubes Jim McShane Boatanchors 0 April 18th 04 06:00 PM
FS: TUBES Eugene Rippen Boatanchors 0 February 13th 04 03:08 AM
Question - 6EA8 and 6GH8A Tubes ??? Captain Crane Boatanchors 3 December 19th 03 12:39 PM
Tubes FS Tom Hix w4th Boatanchors 0 December 3rd 03 12:18 PM
FA 4 lots of 1930s boxed NOS audio and receiver tubes Simon Boatanchors 0 September 13th 03 03:14 PM