Old February 17th 05, 03:13 AM
Robert Peters

Default Name This Radio

I finally rescued a radio I had in High School. It was a gift from some
Ham whose name I have forgotten. It has spent decades in an Arizona
attic so I assume some work will have to be done before firing it up.
I've followed the discussions on recapping and such so no need to warn
me about that. This will be my first project so I'm not holding myself
out as any expert. It looks a little like some model of RME but I've
not found any pictures online.

Anyway, does anyone recognize it?

Pictures he http://members.cox.net/seaplan

Regards,

Bob
Old February 17th 05, 03:24 AM
Ron in Radio Heaven

Anyway, does anyone recognize it?

I think it's an RCA AR88.
Check here, http://www.qsl.net/g3giq/ar88_receiver.htm

Ron

--
Ron Lawrence, kc4yoy
(Curmudgeon in training)

POBox 3015
Matthews, NC 28106-3015
704-289-1166 (home)
kc4yoy(at)carolina.rr.com

Radio Collection Web Page,
http://www.radioheaven.homestead.com

Old February 17th 05, 03:50 AM
Vulcan

Looks like an AR-77 by RCA. A pre WWII model ham receiver. Pretty
good one too. Replaced by the AR-88 just in time for the war when most
of them went overseas to England and Russia.
Somewhat rare now so cleaned up it will make a very nice addition to
any shack.
I like mine. 73 Gary de N9ZSV

Old February 17th 05, 03:51 AM
Dale Parfitt

"Robert Peters" wrote in message
I finally rescued a radio I had in High School. It was a gift from some
Ham whose name I have forgotten. It has spent decades in an Arizona
attic so I assume some work will have to be done before firing it up.
I've followed the discussions on recapping and such so no need to warn
me about that. This will be my first project so I'm not holding myself
out as any expert. It looks a little like some model of RME but I've
not found any pictures online.

Anyway, does anyone recognize it?

Pictures he http://members.cox.net/seaplan

Regards,

Bob

It is not any of the production RME's. The only 2 window was the 69- and
from the layout, this is not it.
What are the controls labeled?

Dale W4OP

Old February 17th 05, 05:37 AM
Brian Hill

"Robert Peters" wrote in message
I finally rescued a radio I had in High School. It was a gift from some
Ham whose name I have forgotten. It has spent decades in an Arizona
attic so I assume some work will have to be done before firing it up.
I've followed the discussions on recapping and such so no need to warn
me about that. This will be my first project so I'm not holding myself
out as any expert. It looks a little like some model of RME but I've
not found any pictures online.

Anyway, does anyone recognize it?

Pictures he http://members.cox.net/seaplan

Regards,

Bob

AR-77 like Vulcan said.

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

EMAIL-
(Hide the $100 to reply!)

Old February 17th 05, 05:41 AM
John Moriarity

It is not any of the production RME's. The only 2 window was the 69- and
from the layout, this is not it.

What about the RME-9 and the RME-70??

Old February 17th 05, 05:43 AM
John Moriarity

Anyway, does anyone recognize it?

Definitely an AR-77. I seriously doubt
that it came in that color, though ;-)

Nice find!

73, John - K6QQ

Old February 17th 05, 06:10 AM
Brian Goldsmith

"Ron in Radio Heaven" wrote

Anyway, does anyone recognize it?

I think it's an RCA AR88.

***No,it is not an AR88 but its predecessor,an AR77.

Brian Goldsmith.

Old February 17th 05, 09:45 AM
Theo

It is definitely an AR77, please have a look at:-

http://www.w9wze.org/Equipment/Photos/ZOther/ar77-3.jpg

Theo

Old February 17th 05, 03:01 PM
Robert Peters

For what it's worth, being my radio, I'm voting "AR 77".
After getting the lead here I was able to find an online schematic
and manual for the Canadian military version (GR 10).

In my example the shield for the tuning capacitors is missing,
the socket for the rectifier tube has been replaced.

As best I can tell from the pictures I've seen so far there is a shutter
over the tuning dials that I'm also missing. Vulcan, you own one, is
there a shutter mechanism?

Lastly, anybody have any leads for the missing parts, or a full manual?

Regards,

Bob