Old March 3rd 05, 06:21 PM
Phil Nelson

Default Novel approach to shipping

I just got email from a guy who checked a 90+ pound military boatanchor as a
piece of LUGGAGE on a flight from the UK to the US. This was some time ago,
so apparently he wasn't charged for the extra weight.

I'm amazed that it survived, even if packed in a box. Can you imagine the
bang when that thing came rocketing down the conveyors?!

:-)

Phil Nelson

Old March 3rd 05, 07:47 PM
Shawn K

I used that approach to shipping when our family went to Holland in
1995. My Dad, my brother, and I each bought a european table radio, plus
one of my uncles gave us one as well. We packed them in cardboard boxes,
and dropped them off at the "special baggage" area on our return flight.
Everything arrived in one piece. They were about 20-25lb each, packaged.

Shawn K
www.thisoldradio.com

Old March 3rd 05, 07:47 PM
Larry Fowkes

"Phil Nelson" wrote in message
.net...
I just got email from a guy who checked a 90+ pound military boatanchor as

piece of LUGGAGE on a flight from the UK to the US. This was some time

ago,
so apparently he wasn't charged for the extra weight.

I'm amazed that it survived, even if packed in a box. Can you imagine the
bang when that thing came rocketing down the conveyors?!

:-)

Phil Nelson

It seems that most military gear should be designed to take some extra hard
abuse. I just would not want my luggage at the bottom of the chute when it
came sliding down!!

Larry

Old March 3rd 05, 07:51 PM
robert casey

Phil Nelson wrote:

I'm amazed that it survived, even if packed in a box. Can you imagine the
bang when that thing came rocketing down the conveyors?!

Probably no worse that what happens at UPS... :-)
Old March 3rd 05, 08:20 PM
Ken

They beat UPS! Ken

Old March 3rd 05, 08:23 PM
Ken

UPS destroyed a boat anchor for me, packed in it's own military shipping
crate. Unbelieveable. Ken

Old March 3rd 05, 08:59 PM
K3HVG

That wouldn't work now. A 90lb package would be overweight and
guaranteed to require a sizable fee (unless you know the gate
agent...hi!!). But... at least you'd know where it was!!!!!

Old March 4th 05, 12:50 AM
twomuttheads

Phil Nelson wrote:
I just got email from a guy who checked a 90+ pound military

boatanchor as a
piece of LUGGAGE on a flight from the UK to the US. This was some

time ago,
so apparently he wasn't charged for the extra weight.

I'm amazed that it survived, even if packed in a box. Can you

imagine the
bang when that thing came rocketing down the conveyors?!

:-)

Phil Nelson

I watched the Airtran folks load luggage onto planes when we were
waiting around Atlanta airport Saturday. They were tossing bags with no
concern about the contents.

Old March 4th 05, 04:09 AM
Mike Andrews

In .com (rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors), twomuttheads wrote:

Phil Nelson wrote:
I just got email from a guy who checked a 90+ pound military

boatanchor as a
piece of LUGGAGE on a flight from the UK to the US. This was some

time ago,
so apparently he wasn't charged for the extra weight.

I'm amazed that it survived, even if packed in a box. Can you

imagine the
bang when that thing came rocketing down the conveyors?!

:-)

Phil Nelson

I watched the Airtran folks load luggage onto planes when we were
waiting around Atlanta airport Saturday. They were tossing bags with no
concern about the contents.

S'Ok. If I ship an EK-07 or an FRR-59, they won't be tossing it.
They'll be heaving, and then finding loops of gut poking through
suddenly-expanded holes in their abdominal walls. Maybe an R-390 or
an R-1051 as "bag two of two", just for chucks.

--
Mike Andrews W5EGO 5WPM
Extra
Old March 4th 05, 03:48 PM
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Phil Nelson wrote:
I just got email from a guy who checked a 90+ pound military boatanchor as a
piece of LUGGAGE on a flight from the UK to the US. This was some time ago,
so apparently he wasn't charged for the extra weight.

You should see what I've taken as "carry on" luggage on an AMTRAK train!
Shop the bargain fares and a round-trip ticket can be less than shipping
for a medium serious boat-anchor.

I've "shipped" two R-390s that way.

FS MOTOROLA RADIO'S John Swap 0 February 3rd 04 07:53 AM
MOTOROLA RADIOS for Sale! John Swap 0 January 30th 04 03:55 PM
FS MOTOROLA RADIOS HT1000'S , VISAR'S ,& MAXTRAC'S John Swap 0 January 19th 04 05:50 AM
FS MOTOROLA RADIOS HT1000'S , VISAR'S ,& MAXTRAC'S John Equipment 0 January 19th 04 05:44 AM
FS/FT Commercial VHF/UHF & Test Gear - Long List David Little Swap 0 October 9th 03 03:55 AM