Old July 1st 04, 03:43 PM
Lew/ K1NDV

Default WTB-TR SWITCH

Im looking for a TR switch for breakin cw between my DX40 and Drake
2B. May consider a well built home made one even. Any suggestions
appreciated. tnx 73s Lew -K1NDV
Old July 1st 04, 04:54 PM
G.Beat

"Lew/ K1NDV" wrote in message
om...
Im looking for a TR switch for breakin cw between my DX40 and Drake
2B. May consider a well built home made one even. Any suggestions
appreciated. tnx 73s Lew -K1NDV

Lew -

Radio Adventures has a Vintage Radio T/R Adapter that you should consider
This kit was featured in a QST article a few years ago, and has been in the
ARRL Handbook for the past few years.
The Vintage Radio Adapter consists of two assemblies, the keying and control
unit and a remote antenna relay. The control unit accepts key, paddle, keyer
or push-to-talk input.

Vintage Radio T/R Adapter (BK-175)
The Vintage Radio T/R Adapter provides automatic transmit/receive switching
for many vintage transmitters and receivers. It provides time sequenced
antenna transfer (with optional remote antenna relay), receiver muting and
transmitter keying in semi and full break-in modes or with push-to-talk
systems in AM or SSB. At less than $ 40 for the entire kit - all components
except power supply, remote antenna relay and enclosures.
http://www.radioadv.com/ham_radio_eq...ries/BK175.htm

Greg
w9gb

Old July 3rd 04, 06:07 AM
Edward Knobloch

Lew/ K1NDV wrote:
Im looking for a TR switch for breakin cw between my DX40 and Drake
2B. May consider a well built home made one even. Any suggestions
appreciated. tnx 73s Lew -K1NDV

Hi, Lew

I've had good luck with the E.F. Johnson electronic TR switch,
as well as the B&W models 380 and 381B. The 381B is not as convenient,
since it has a band switch.

The Johnson unit looks best for high power operation,
since it uses a TV sweep tube (6BL7), whereas the others
use receiving-type tubes. However, it runs hot and is pricey
on the used equipment market.

Dow-Key made a one-tube electronic TR switch, which is small
and mechanically elegant. (I've got one, but haven't tried it yet.)
It requires an external power supply.

One thing, if you go the electronic TR switch route,
don't forget to include a low pass filter in the coax
between the TR switch and the antenna, because you will
generate TVI otherwise, due to diode rectification
in the TR switch, even if your transmitter itself is clean.

73,
Ed Knobloch