Old July 5th 04, 02:38 AM
Steve

Default Anyone know of a modern 60 Hz - 400 Hz converter?

Hi Gang,
In the past, when converting equipment from 400 Hz power to 60 Hz power,
I've replace the transformer(s), and increased the size of the filter caps.
That was many moons ago.

These days, it seems like it'd be fairly easy to build something like a
switching power
supply but using a fixed frequency at 400 Hz instead. Has anyone done this
yet, and if so, I'd sure be intersted in the details.

Steve

Old July 5th 04, 05:21 AM
Scott Dorsey

Steve wrote:
Hi Gang,
In the past, when converting equipment from 400 Hz power to 60 Hz power,
I've replace the transformer(s), and increased the size of the filter caps.
That was many moons ago.

This is the smart thing to do IF you don't care about keeping the equipment
original.

These days, it seems like it'd be fairly easy to build something like a
switching power
supply but using a fixed frequency at 400 Hz instead. Has anyone done this
yet, and if so, I'd sure be intersted in the details.

There are switching converters out there. The problem is that if you use
a square wave at 400 Hz, you get all kinds of harmonic trash, so you either
need to use a class B or better stage and suffer extreme inefficiency, or
use a "modified sine" inverter configuration. I don't think it would be
too hard to hack up some of the cheap truckstop 12V-120V inverters to
produce 400 Hz, though.
--scott

Old July 5th 04, 04:03 PM
Bill Janssen

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Steve wrote:

[...]

I modified a 140 watt unit using information I got from some where.
Only two capacitors had to be changed.
It worked well until I tried to run a motor from it :-(.

No I don't remember the details of the modification, but the new units
would probably be different anyway.

Bill K7NOM

Old July 5th 04, 04:10 PM
Scott Dorsey

Bill Janssen wrote:

I modified a 140 watt unit using information I got from some where.
Only two capacitors had to be changed.

Was there much RF trash coming out of it?

It worked well until I tried to run a motor from it :-(.

The modified sine wave units need to be derated by about a factor of four
to run electric motors, and the motors do tend to buzz a little. What
400Hz motors do you need to run? Antenna tuner?
--scott
Old July 5th 04, 04:20 PM
Steve

Scott,
One of the advantages of running it at a fixed frequency is that you
could use the primary of the 400 Hz transformer as a tuned circuit by
putting an appropriate cap across it. That would cut down on the harmonics
even if its driven with a power MOSFET.

Since no one seems to have built something like this from scratch, I'll
start doing some bread boarding this week. If I'm able to get a good solid
design, I'll post it.

Steve W6SSP
p.s.-keeping the equipment original is certainly one of my goals

Old July 6th 04, 12:25 AM
Bill Janssen

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Bill Janssen wrote:

I modified a 140 watt unit using information I got from some where.
Only two capacitors had to be changed.

Was there much RF trash coming out of it?

Never checked as it didn't bother anything I was using. (10 GHz amp
power supply)

It worked well until I tried to run a motor from it :-(.

The modified sine wave units need to be derated by about a factor of four
to run electric motors, and the motors do tend to buzz a little. What
400Hz motors do you need to run? Antenna tuner?

I tried to run a military surplus fan.

Bill K7NOM

--scott