Old August 11th 04, 03:22 AM
Sam Byrams

Default PLEASE READ - Internet site under legal attack by Radioshack corp.

Anyone with the merest knowledge of DC Electrical Fundamentals can go
into about any Radio Shack company store and be in a position to
tech-slam the employees. Radio Shack has pursued a policy of not
hiring electronics people for decades, they have remained to the small
extent that they are in the electronic parts, tools, books, and 'test
equipment'for image purposes and I have been repeatedly told as much
by Radio Shack management.

Radio Shack is a cancer on the ass of all electronics hobbies and all
electronics professionals, what few remain.

They should be stripped of their image by persistently and
consistently reminding the technically less knowledgeable that "real
nerds won't set a foot in there". Radio Shack's death would be a good
thing IMO.

Putting MM on the dime would serve a lot of purposes. It would
displace the devious FDR, send a signal to the Islamist world, make
the currency more attractive, and be a thorn in the ass to the Kennedy
Family, to name four good ones.
Old August 11th 04, 03:59 AM
mark

"Sam Byrams" wrote in message
om...
Anyone with the merest knowledge of DC Electrical Fundamentals can go
into about any Radio Shack company store and be in a position to
tech-slam the employees. Radio Shack has pursued a policy of not
hiring electronics people for decades, they have remained to the small
extent that they are in the electronic parts, tools, books, and 'test
equipment'for image purposes and I have been repeatedly told as much
by Radio Shack management.

Radio Shack is a cancer on the ass of all electronics hobbies and all
electronics professionals, what few remain.

They should be stripped of their image by persistently and
consistently reminding the technically less knowledgeable that "real
nerds won't set a foot in there". Radio Shack's death would be a good
thing IMO.

I don't understand this attitude towards RS at all. If you don't like it,
don't buy from them. You now have a zillion alternatives right through the
internet.

Then again, you may actually be the type of guy that walks into Best Buy or
Circuit City and actually relies on the snot-nosed salesperson knowing all
about TVs and giving you advice on which to buy. It's a self-serve world out
there now. If you want premium service, you'll have to pay extra for it and
buy from a smaller shop in which you can get help. But you'll pay more for
it.

Old August 11th 04, 12:43 PM
Martin

This thread reminds me of a conversation I overheard in a Radio Shack store
many years ago.

Salesman, trying to sell customer a Micronta sliderule: "See, if you want
to multiply 2 by 2, you put this 1 here on this slider over the 2 down here
and move this window thing so this line here is on the 2 over here. Then
the answer is down here, see, 2 times 2 equals, hmmm, about 3.95.

"Miles O'Neal" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 02:59:52 +0000, mark wrote:

I don't understand this attitude towards RS at all. If you don't like

it,
don't buy from them. You now have a zillion alternatives right through

the
internet.

Hmmm... What's that they say in all their ads?
"You have questions? We have answers." Oddly
enough, if your question is even the least bit
technical, their answer is either "I don't know",
or it's bogus.

Every once in a while they screw up and hire folks
who understand electronics. But IME, not too
often. And heir selection is *abysmal* - and
getting worse.

Granted, the hobbyist market is down. But I contend
that RS helped destro it.

Old August 11th 04, 03:02 PM
Scott Dorsey

"Sam Byrams" wrote in message

I don't understand this attitude towards RS at all. If you don't like it,
don't buy from them. You now have a zillion alternatives right through the
internet.

Not on Sunday afternoon when the transmitter is down and the boss is screaming
at you and you're trying to explain to the man that you want an XLR plug with
four pins, and not three, and he's telling you that nobody uses XLR plugs any
more.
--scott

Old August 11th 04, 08:33 PM
+yaluM

;-)

Chuck wrote:

I do that pretty well...butt suck.

Chuck muck bophuc

Old August 11th 04, 08:35 PM
Chuck

"Miles O'Neal" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 02:59:52 +0000, mark wrote:

I don't understand this attitude towards RS at all. If you don't like it,
don't buy from them. You now have a zillion alternatives right through the
internet.

Hmmm... What's that they say in all their ads?
"You have questions? We have answers." Oddly
enough, if your question is even the least bit
technical, their answer is either "I don't know",
or it's bogus.

Every once in a while they screw up and hire folks
who understand electronics. But IME, not too
often. And heir selection is *abysmal* - and
getting worse.

Granted, the hobbyist market is down. But I contend
that RS helped destro it.

Yeah. We've seen this thread before -even heard from the guy with the
website too, IIRC. The place definitely isn't a hobby shop anymore.
Closer to a home electronics specialty shop. It may do that pretty
well, but certainly it DOES suck at its 'old' business.
Chuck
Old August 12th 04, 03:22 AM

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 11:43:36 GMT, "Martin"
wrote:

This thread reminds me of a conversation I overheard in a Radio Shack store
many years ago.

Salesman, trying to sell customer a Micronta sliderule: "See, if you want
to multiply 2 by 2, you put this 1 here on this slider over the 2 down here
and move this window thing so this line here is on the 2 over here. Then
the answer is down here, see, 2 times 2 equals, hmmm, about 3.95.

They had Pentium sliderules?