Old August 29th 04, 08:31 PM
G.Beat

Default Electronics Club - Time to "pass the knowledge torch"

Well its that time of year again, and school has started.

Middle schools, high schools and youth organizations (e.g., 4-H, Boy Scouts,
Girl Scouts) often look to their communities for assistance in developing
"experiential"
learning programs and knowledgeable volunteers.

Electronics and computers are often at the top of the lists for external
assistance by these educational organizations.

If your assistance is asked for, one of the biggest stumbling blocks that
you may face is gathering the proper educational materials
or developing actual projects for these organizations or groups.

One web site that I would highly recommend is the Electronics Club web page.
This web page was designed by Mr. J. Hewes for the students (pupils) at the
Kelsey Park School (UK).

Electronics Club - Kelsey Park School
http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/index.htm

The AmQRP / NorCal Keyer Kit is also a possible kit for educational usage
http://www.amqrp.org/kits/NCKeyer/index.html

I already received my request from a new middle school teacher 2 weeks ago !

Greg
w9gb

Old August 30th 04, 04:26 AM
Paul P

Perhaps a tad OT but an enjoyable read. The Electronics Club material may
be useful in our Boy Scout/Cub Scout troop.
Thanks,
Paul
"G.Beat" wrote in message
[...]

!

Greg
w9gb

Old August 30th 04, 04:47 AM
David Stinson

"Pass the knowledge torch" to today's kids
and they'll light their crack pipe with it...

Old August 30th 04, 05:39 AM
Steven Dinius

"David Stinson" wrote in message
"Pass the knowledge torch" to today's kids
and they'll light their crack pipe with it...

I watched a 16 year-old nearly fix a tough mechanical problem with a
Rowe/AMI stereo jukebox and he was halfway there towards fixing my IF coils.
Bite your tongue.

Old August 30th 04, 05:39 AM
JDAM

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 03:47:56 GMT, David Stinson
wrote:

"Pass the knowledge torch" to today's kids
and they'll light their crack pipe with it...

Now that sounds like the voice of experience!

Old August 30th 04, 05:42 AM
Steven Dinius

PS If he manages to finish it I've promised him a 1960's Sharp SS multiband
portable. His aptitude is marvelous.

Old August 30th 04, 12:59 PM
Paul Burridge

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 19:31:04 GMT, "G.Beat"
wrote:

Well its that time of year again, and school has started.

Middle schools, high schools and youth organizations (e.g., 4-H, Boy Scouts,
Girl Scouts) often look to their communities for assistance in developing
"experiential"
learning programs and knowledgeable volunteers.

Electronics and computers are often at the top of the lists for external
assistance by these educational organizations.

Computers (or more likely computer games) might be at the top of the
list, but kids nowadays don't seem to give a f**k about electronics in
general. Hardly surprising, given the superficial garbage we force
feed them via TV, film and "newspapers."
--

"What is now proved was once only imagin'd." - William Blake, 1793.
Old August 31st 04, 11:06 AM
Ed Price

wrote:

Well its that time of year again, and school has started.

Middle schools, high schools and youth organizations (e.g., 4-H, Boy
Scouts,
Girl Scouts) often look to their communities for assistance in developing
"experiential"
learning programs and knowledgeable volunteers.

Electronics and computers are often at the top of the lists for external
assistance by these educational organizations.

Computers (or more likely computer games) might be at the top of the
list, but kids nowadays don't seem to give a f**k about electronics in
general. Hardly surprising, given the superficial garbage we force
feed them via TV, film and "newspapers."

Although I tend to agree with you about the interests of the younger
generations, I also have to remember that my parents were probably worried
that all their kids wanted to do was mess with them radio gadgets, and who
would the world depend on to machine ball bearings? Somehow life stumbles
on, and who really needs precision ball bearings anymore? We can use
adaptive software to fix the vibrations!

Ed
wb6wsn