Old May 2nd 05, 12:11 AM

Default Cleaning modern plastic cabinets??

Hi,
I had a dusty RF2200 that I cleaned off with a painters brush, but
there is a covering of grime that shows up under the right light. How
do I safely wash these modern plastic cabinets and leave a nice, deep
glow like the sets originally had? I can keep the washing solution away
from any problem areas, but don't quite know what to use to get the
desired affect. The RF2200 was dusted off because the dust gets into
the switches (like the SW1 switch) and eventually the switch fails.
Having cleaned all the switches, (the RF2200 is quite easy to work on)
the set works perfectly, but I'd like to get it looking great too. Any
help would be greatly appreciated.
rgds,
Mark S.

Old May 3rd 05, 05:04 AM
Duby Todd

WD-40 works wonders.

Dube K4DWW

ups.com...

Old May 4th 05, 07:41 PM
Phil Nelson

Have you tried a mild cleaner like Windex? You can spray it onto a soft
cloth and apply, to avoid getting it into places where liquid doesn't
belong. Something that's a little stronger is "Goof Off 2."

If the plastic is scuffed, you can restore the shine with Novus Plastic
Polish #2. I have used that on all types of plastic, including delicate dial
covers, with good results. Take it easy around painted letters. If you
polish too hard, you may polish them right off. Novus #1 is an even milder
polish.

WD-40 is a solvent (a mixture of kerosene and petroleum oil), so yes, it
will dissolve grime. So will just about any other solvent, from paint
thinner to acetone. But WD-40 will also leave an oily residue that
eventually dries out and becomes gummy, attracting dirt.

I know that some people use WD-40 to "shine up" plastic and Bakelite, but
that's not a good idea in my experience. Plastic and Bakelite cabinets were
shipped from the factory with a clean, shiny surface, not with a coating of
WD-40 or any other goo. If you do clean with WD-40, wash it off with
something else when you're done.

Regards,

Phil Nelson