Old May 7th 05, 08:37 PM
Kenneth Grimm

Default Need a free manual for your tube-type gear?

Need a manual? Maybe K4XL's BAMA can help. In the spirit of the "Old
Internet," before all the spam and "For Sale" ads, The BoatAnchor
Manual Archive offers almost 2000 manuals from over 200 different
manufacturers for free downloading. Download whatever you need, but
don't be a sleazebag and sell what you download on eBay. The manuals
are available on two sites: http://bama.sbc.edu can serve only 10
users at the same time, but the mirror site at http://bama.edebris.com
can take many more simultaneous connections.

Are the manuals on BAMA as good as those that the vendors provide?
Sometimes, yes, and sometimes, no. In every case, the price is right!

Ken K4XL

*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at
http://bama.sbc.edu and http://bama.edebris.com
FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr
Old May 8th 05, 03:41 AM
Albert & Btittany Spear

B A M A Rocks !

Truly in the spirit of ham radio.

Beware of TOTAL SCUM like Ebay seller micromanuals
) who have copied manuals and sell the very same.
Sometimes doing nothing more than emailing the original.

Old May 8th 05, 09:31 AM
Antonio Vernucci

Those wishing to contribute in BAMA please remember: do not use jpg to =
scan text or diagrams. BAMA recommend to use an algorithm called djvu. =
If you use that, please check that diagrams are OK before uploading, =
because I have seen djvu diagrams which are not really OK. If you would =
instead use lossless compression (e.g. gif) you would be safe for sure.

And please make also sure that diagrams are easily readable, and can be =
easily re-assembled when split across multiple sheets (magnification =
factor must be identical for all sheets).

Another recommendation: please do not upload "partial manuals". You may =
never know what someone else is interested in.

73

Tony, I0JX

"Albert & Btittany Spear" ha scritto nel messaggio =
B A M A Rocks !
=20
Truly in the spirit of ham radio.
=20
Beware of TOTAL SCUM like Ebay seller micromanuals=20

"Kenneth Grimm" wrote in message=20

[...]

FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr=20

=20

Old May 9th 05, 04:09 AM
Ed Price

wrote in message ...
Here is another dirtbag "cw-man" selling BAMA manuals on ebay.

First off, I will say that I have both uploaded & downloaded at BAMA. It's a
most noble use of the Net.

OTOH, if you want to dl a complete set of something, how long does it take
for you to do the dl & burn a CD? And as you do the dl, you are contributing
to the congestion at BAMA.

Consider the picnic model. You want to go on a picnic next weekend, so do
you start making and saving ice cubes a week in advance, or do you just buy
a bag of ice at a convenience store? Sure, it's only a bag of very cold
water, but I don't consider the seller a dirtbag. I'm making a decision for
my convenience, based on how I value my time. And, from my perspective, $9
total (covering materials, labor, packaging, packing, postage & commissions)
is not a way to get rich (unless you have a very poor day job).

Now, maybe as a BAMA contributor, could this seller be hurting me? I can't
see how, since the material I contributed wasn't really my intellectual
property, and the value I added by creating an electronic copy was always
intended as a gift. And remember, I "contributed" the information, so I gave
up any rights I might have had due to the nature of the transaction.

About the only "unfair" practice I could see would be the moral position of
selling something which, but for the buyer's ignorance, could be obtained
for free. OTOH, that ignorance fee is supposed to be the incentive to buyer
enlightenment. g

--
Ed
WB6WSN

Old May 9th 05, 10:34 AM
No One You Know

Ed Price wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

One huge problem is that this guy, if they are BAMA downloads, didn't
do any of the real work of scanning and uploading. Then he didn't have
to compile onto a web site or pay for that web site. THIEF is more the
word that comes to mind. I also have uploaded a few manuals to BAMA for
free use of everyone not to be sold. When I uploaded to BAMA I
transfered my rights to K4XL not to some thief.

Old May 9th 05, 02:13 PM

No One You Know wrote:
Ed Price wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

I have scanned about 25-30 manuals and uploaded them to BAMA. It is a
lot of work. It takes a considerable amount of time to scan them, crop
and make them look good. Periodically, someone will e-mail and ask me if
I would sell them a copy of a manual. I just e-mail it to them and do
the same when they get approached for a copy of a manual.

These guys are not just thieves but low life dirtbags and all for a few
dollars.
Old May 9th 05, 02:19 PM
Steven Fritts

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old May 9th 05, 11:10 PM
Sparky

wrote in message ...
No One You Know wrote:
Ed Price wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

I also have sent manuals to BAMA. These guys are true dirtbags!

Old May 10th 05, 12:14 AM

I have sent several manuals to the Bama site for posting. For several
years, I even gave away manual copies twice a year for the cost of
postage, if the person wanted to pay for it. These commercial dealers
that flood the BA listings on eBay **** me off so much, I have blocked
them from my search. On a regular basis, if you do a search of
"Hallicrafters" out of 4 pages found, at least 2 are these.....
vultures.

FA: Amplex Model "C" Tube Type Radio - Antique Type - Quite Old !LP Swap 0 October 9th 04 08:58 PM
FREE FT-207R instruction manual Uncle Peter Boatanchors 0 July 9th 04 04:03 AM
WANTED: Manual for Realstic 105 tube tester trolliam Boatanchors 0 April 11th 04 03:40 AM
WTB: OLD Tube type UHF PA AL G. Swap 0 January 28th 04 12:38 AM
BK 650 tube tester manual Tracy Fort Boatanchors 0 August 12th 03 09:28 PM