Old May 16th 05, 11:38 PM
Phil Nelson

Default fraudulent eBay listing for Hallicrafters SX-28

eBay auction 6531717822 is fraudulent.

The Hallicrafters SX-28 shown there belongs to me, not to the "seller" in
Lima, Peru. All of the photos and text were stolen from my website at:

http://antiqueradio.org/halli12.htm

I have notified eBay and asked them to cancel the auction.

The same person listed three other fraudulent auctions using photos and text
from my website (for a TransOceanic A600L, a Sparton Bluebird, and a Scott
800B6 radio/tv/phono) in the last few days.

Caveat emptor.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Old May 16th 05, 11:53 PM
gb

"Phil Nelson" wrote in message
eBay auction 6531717822 is fraudulent.

The Hallicrafters SX-28 shown there belongs to me, not to the "seller" in
Lima, Peru. All of the photos and text were stolen from my website at:

http://antiqueradio.org/halli12.htm

I have notified eBay and asked them to cancel the auction.

The same person listed three other fraudulent auctions using photos and
text from my website (for a TransOceanic A600L, a Sparton Bluebird, and a
Scott 800B6 radio/tv/phono) in the last few days.

Caveat emptor.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Phil -

Do you have the "eBay name" of seller .. so I can track on watch list (to
avoid)?

gb

Old May 17th 05, 01:35 AM
Phil Nelson

Do you have the "eBay name" of seller .. so I can track on watch list (to
avoid)?

This person uses fake IDs, created a few minutes before the auction begins
and discarded as soon as the auction ends (or is cancelled by eBay).

Anyhow, the two IDs that I saw were galatea1000 and nancyr552.

This person has used international eBay sites. The first two auctions were
on eBay UK (http://www.ebay.co.uk/ ). I was alerted by a fellow collector in
the UK who noticed that items from my US website were mysteriously for sale
by someone in Peru. This SX-28 and Sparton Bluebird were listed on eBay
Italia (http://www.ebay.it/ ).

Don't ask me how all of that works. I have never sold anything on eBay. If I
were an unemployed slacker/hacker in the Third World and knew a bunch of
guys just like me, I could probably convince a couple of them to spend a
couple of hours a day setting up fake auctions, on the off chance that some
sucker somewhere in the world might click the Paypal button to send you
money for nothing.

The one thing shared by all four auctions was the purported location: Lima,
Peru (listed as "lima, lima" in one auction and "lima, lima, lima, lima" in
another.) Which was comical in the case of the auction for my Scott 800B
radio/tv/phono console. It's a massive item, weighing well over 200 lb., and
they said the shipping cost from Peru to the UK would be 30 British pounds.
It would cost me at least that much to hire someone to haul it one mile down
the street where I live.

You'd think eBay would make it moderately difficult to create a fake ID and
sell nonexistent items. Perhaps not. Maybe I'll find some piece of junk in
my garage and create a new account to sell it on eBay, just to find out
what's involved.

Regards,