Old October 19th 04, 09:52 PM
Francesco Sartorello

Default SP600 Panel restoration service

Hello everybody,
my SP600-JX29 would appreciate a repainted and relettered panel (engraved):
any suggestion about whom could do this?
Thanks again
Francesco Sartorello

Old October 20th 04, 05:05 PM
Brian Hill

"Francesco Sartorello" wrote
in message ...
Hello everybody,
my SP600-JX29 would appreciate a repainted and relettered panel

(engraved):
any suggestion about whom could do this?
Thanks again
Francesco Sartorello

It's fairly easy. Give it a go. Strip panel, Repaint, Let dry completely,
Fill in lettering ( I use tile guard white grout coating. It cleans up with
water and leaves nice white lettering. It has a sponge tip that makes it
easy to do the lettering also.) Buff off excess with a damp rag. Let dry
completely. Then clear coat panel with clear laquer. Done!

Theres other ways to do it too and I'm sure others around here can fill you
in.
--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

Old October 22nd 04, 12:41 PM
Al Parker

Hi Francesco,
As Brian says, it's not hard to do. You can see some of my results
at:
http://www.thecompendium.net/radio/sp600.htm
go about half way down the page, and at:
http://www.hammarlund.info/SP200.htm
73,
Al, W8UT
New Bern, NC
BoatAnchors appreciated here
http://www.thecompendium.net/radio/
http://www.hammarlund.info

Old October 22nd 04, 09:06 PM
Roger and Ute Brown

I have used the same method utilizing artists oil paint (white or black).
It is particularly good for deeply engraved lettering. It dries very hard
and looks great. The trick is to let it dry for about three days prior to
attempting to clean up the smearing around the lettering. It will come off
easily with light strokes from a cloth dampened with paint thinner and not
affect the paint in the groves of the engraving. I just smear a little on
with my finger while rubbing it deeply into the groves. Looks great and
will not wear with years of use. I have used this method in the restoration
many engraved radio panels and HRO main tuning dial divisions.

Roger, KL7Q

Old October 22nd 04, 09:40 PM
Phil Nelson

You can also use colored "lacquer sticks" as described in my SX-28
restoration article at http://antiqueradio.org/halli12.htm .

As others mentioned, it's not tricky to fill engraved markings with color.

Have fun!

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Old October 23rd 04, 08:38 AM
Francesco Sartorello

Thanks to everybody: I was really looking for somebody to do this
professionally for me, I see the engraving is very shallow and, maybe, needs
silkscreening? Any names? Otherwise I had better keep it as is!
Ciao, Francesco

ink.net...