Old May 22nd 05, 02:14 AM
Dave Platt

Default Laport's "Radio Antenna Engineering" available

An electronic (PDF) version of Edmund Laport's 1952 textbook "Radio
Antenna Engineering" is now available for free download. Details may
be found at:

http://snulbug.mtview.ca.us/books/Ra...naEngineering/

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old May 22nd 05, 09:18 AM
Gregg

Behold, Dave Platt scribed on tube chassis:

An electronic (PDF) version of Edmund Laport's 1952 textbook "Radio
Antenna Engineering" is now available for free download. Details may be
found at:

http://snulbug.mtview.ca.us/books/Ra...naEngineering/

All I saw was Bit Torrent. Do you have a real link to the PDF?

--
Gregg "t3h g33k"
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca
Old May 22nd 05, 02:32 PM
Frank

"Dave Platt" wrote in message
An electronic (PDF) version of Edmund Laport's 1952 textbook "Radio
Antenna Engineering" is now available for free download. Details may
be found at:

http://snulbug.mtview.ca.us/books/Ra...naEngineering/

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Thanks for your effort Dave. Very interesting text.

Regards,

Frank

Old May 22nd 05, 03:55 PM
Wes Stewart

On Sun, 22 May 2005 01:14:18 -0000, (Dave Platt)
wrote:

An electronic (PDF) version of Edmund Laport's 1952 textbook "Radio
Antenna Engineering" is now available for free download. Details may
be found at:

http://snulbug.mtview.ca.us/books/Ra...naEngineering/

Wow. Thanks Dave!

I'll have to find someone with a faster connection than my 28K dial-up
to fetch it for me, but great job.

Wes N7WS

Old May 22nd 05, 05:48 PM
Dan Richardson

On Sun, 22 May 2005 07:55:09 -0700, Wes Stewart
wrote:

Wow. Thanks Dave!

I'll have to find someone with a faster connection than my 28K dial-up
to fetch it for me, but great job.

Wes N7WS

Its on it way Wes - check you email.

Danny, K6MHE

Old May 22nd 05, 06:38 PM
Cecil Moore

Dan Richardson k6mhatarrl wrote:
Wes Stewart wrote:
I'll have to find someone with a faster connection than my 28K dial-up
to fetch it for me, but great job.

Its on it way Wes - check you email.

Is 28k email any faster? :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 22nd 05, 08:28 PM
John Smith

Dave:

Excellent contribution...

I am interested, did you use fine reader for scanning or another? And, did
you use adobe to create the .pdf or other free software? Is the .pdf text
searchable (in text format) or not (in graphic format?)

Warmest regards,
John

Old May 22nd 05, 09:30 PM
Dave Platt

In article ,
John Smith wrote:

I am interested, did you use fine reader for scanning or another? And, did
you use adobe to create the .pdf or other free software? Is the .pdf text
searchable (in text format) or not (in graphic format?)

The work was done using only noncommercial (freely-distributable)
software tools... the SANE scanning software, NETPBM image-processing
programs, The GIMP for manual image processing, and GPL GhostScript to
create the PDFs. I wrote a bunch of custom scripts to perform some
higher-level functions (e.g. automatically levelling, centering, and
"bleaching" the pages).

The text is not searchable. I don't have access to OCR software which
can do the job with acceptable accuracy, nor the time required to
proofread the whole book and correct the inevitable errors. The PDF
text is all in graphic format.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old May 22nd 05, 10:10 PM
John Smith

.... shame, searchable text is nice... I have finereader, what is the
graphic format of the scanned pages... perhaps it can work with that?

Warmest regards,
John

Old May 22nd 05, 10:37 PM
Dan Richardson

Wes Stewart wrote:
I'll have to find someone with a faster connection than my 28K dial-up
to fetch it for me, but great job.

Its on it way Wes - check you email.

Is 28k email any faster? :-)

Did I say anything about an attachment? 28K is fast enough for a
personal note.