Old October 25th 04, 04:22 PM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

Default Allied Radio and Knight Kits

Wow Ed - great research -- thanks.
Lets see a Rook Kit -- no don't think so
But a King Kit maybe
However I think Knight kit was the right choice.
I built many of Allied's kits including the a crystal set, Ocean Hopper, and
the R-100 Receiver

Here are some Knight/Allied web sites

http://www.af4k.com/ham/knight.htm

http://www.senac.com/boards/1270/

http://www.qsl.net/kb7rgg/
--
The Anon Keyboard
I doubt, therefore I might be

"Ed Price" wrote in message

"-exray" wrote in message
Keyboard In The Wilderness wrote:

Saw a post asking about this and I recall a James Knight company --
maybe making crystals.
Did Allied buy them and then adopt the Knight name to their kits ????

Just a guess

There were Knight brand consumer radios going back into the mid-30s and
maybe earlier. It is my understanding that this was the same Allied
company. I don't know of any affiliation with James Knight.

-Bill

However, they were somewhat close geographically. Allied was based out of
the west side of Chicago (100 North Western Ave.) during it's Knight Kit
heyday. James Knight Crystal Company was located about 40 west of Chicago,
in Sandwich, Illinois.

I visited their plant in 1973, while involved in selling them thermistors.
Sandwich was just a dot on the side of (IIRC) US Route 30, even then. I
dug up a reference that really surprised me:

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/p...ries/_randall/

The lady is saying that she lapped crystal for Knight during World War I!!
If this quote is correct (her memory too), then Knight was making crystals
at a very early time in electronics. personally, I think she must have
been in a time warp.

Here's a more believable citing, where the James Knight company was being
formed at the beginning of WWII:

http://www.arrl.org/arrlletter/97/970801/

And another:

http://www.bliley.net/XTAL/Industry-...#_Hlk390359909

Hmmm, looks like they finally left town, one way or another, circa 2003:

http://www.sandwich.il.us/econdev/ctsknights.html

There's even a pix of the vacant plant. As you might expect with a company
that had been a major employer in a little town, there's Knight street,
Knight park, etc....

If you're really obsessed, you might try emailing the local Sandwich
officials for more detail.

http://www.sandwich.il.us/cityofficials.html

Seems that James Knight company became CTS Knights sometime in the 70's;
was that a merger with another local Chicago company called Chicago
Transformer? But that must be another story.

Finally, if you have to name your product line with something symbolic,
doesn't Knight just sound better than Rook or Pawn?

Ed
wb6wsn

--
The Anon Keyboard
I doubt, therefore I might be

Old October 26th 04, 05:00 AM
Mike Knudsen

In article gT8fd.76532$hj.72733@fed1read07, "Keyboard In The Wilderness"
writes:

I built many of Allied's kits including the a crystal set, Ocean Hopper, and
the R-100 Receiver

My first rx was the Knight R-100, which I built myself. Using the latest
tubes, it was a very "hot" receiver, though its mechanical stability (and
overall physical design) were rather flimsy. In fact, most Knight Kits were a
bit less than rugged.

Hethkits, OTOH, were mostly rugged but with some questionable electronic design
features. But not my DX-40, my first rig -- it worked pretty well all the way.
73, Mike K.
Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.