RadioBanter

-   -   Free: RAA-3 receiver (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/7216-free-raa-3-receiver.html)

Glenn Harden November 4th 04 05:33 AM

Free: RAA-3 receiver

Includes circa 1944 VLF receiver and power supply.
Together they weigh about 500 lbs.

Eugene, OR

-exray November 4th 04 05:47 AM

Glenn Harden wrote:
Includes circa 1944 VLF receiver and power supply.
Together they weigh about 500 lbs.

Eugene, OR

Will you pay shipping to 00765?

-BM

Dbowey November 4th 04 06:45 AM

Includes circa 1944 VLF receiver and power supply. Together they weigh about
500 lbs.

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but.... what's its condition?

I will be in Eugene some time this coming weekend, and I would like to have it.
If it's still available pls email me your address and phone number.

Don

Henry Kolesnik November 4th 04 09:12 PM

Can you please put a pix of it up or sendme one. I've never heard of this
big a receiver and would like to know more aobut why it's so big. Too bad
I'm in Tulsa.
tnx

--

73
Hank WD5JFR

William Donzelli November 5th 04 04:08 AM

(Dbowey) wrote in message ...

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but.... what's its condition?

RAAs are rare enough that one doesn't ask about condition! 1944? Are
you sure its not 1934?

Seriously, to those that have never seen and RAA (or RAB), a first
glance at the innards will leave you stunned. Never again will you see
such overengineering.

I wish I could get it - I have an RAB-2 (the HF brother to the RAA)
that needs company.

--
William Donzelli

Mike Knudsen November 5th 04 07:56 PM

In article ,
(William Donzelli) writes:

Seriously, to those that have never seen and RAA (or RAB), a first
glance at the innards will leave you stunned. Never again will you see
such overengineering.

Wow. I had an RAK (IIRC) VLF Navy set, that I could pick up by myself back
then. It was over-engineered enough -- inductors and a tuning cap that looked
like a KW antenna tuner. The separate PS had a ballast bulb that looked like
something out of a searchlight. And it worked great -- WWVB any time of the
day, and who knows how many useless encrypted Navy RTTY stations.

But even it couldn't get that Swedish station, from the Midwest. I traded it
for an HF boatanchor rx.

I wish I could get it - I have an RAB-2 (the HF brother to the RAA)
that needs company.

I'd have loved to get the RAL, the regenerative HF brother to the RAK. I have
never operated such a smooth regeneration control as what that RAK had -- you
could peak it for max AM sens and select, or just drop it in to hear weak CW.
Would be fun on HF.
73, Mike K.

Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.

kn4r February 10th 06 07:56 AM

RAA and RAB receivers wanted by USS North Carolina

All,

Yesterday I had the opportunity to tour the battleship USS North Carolina
yesterday (Wilmington NC) with a special tour of Radio Room One from the
onsite electronics tech, Terry Kuhn...

Onboard are the ship's original RAK/RALs, RBA/RBB/RBCs and transmitters,
panoramic adapters, etc etc...as things were left in 1947 when the ship
was decomissioned.....

The USS North Carolina is looking for a RAA and RAB (purchase, tax
donation, etc)... please contact:

Terry Kuhn (not a ham but should be!)

His phone-ship: 910-251-5797 ext 2035

thanks and regards,