Old June 9th 05, 07:13 PM
Roger D Johnson

Default MFP

I removed the MFP from the knobs of an old HRO I
purchased. I subsequently decided that this was a
mistake and want to restore the knobs to original.
Is there anything that can be sprayed/painted on to
restore the original look of the MFP?

Thanks, Roger

--
Remove tilde (~) to reply

Remember the USS Liberty (AGTR-5)
http://ussliberty.org/
Old June 9th 05, 09:13 PM
K3HVG

I use clear Krylon. It gives a reasonable finish. Just make sure the
nozzle isn't spitting so you'll get a uniform coating. Also, don't
overdo it!!. Real MFP generally has a yellowish cast to it, whereas
clear Krylon does not. If the knobs are dark, it won't matter. If
necessary, one could use a tinted varnish, applied manually, but the
spray is a lot easier. Good luck.

Old June 11th 05, 08:12 PM
Alan Douglas

Hi,
Chuck wrote:

MFP stands for Moisture Fungus Proofing

It is a varnish with an mild poison added.

I understand it was copper naphthenate.

73, Alan
Old June 13th 05, 06:36 PM

And vernacularly referred to as "tropcial varnish."

It can still be found in spray cans, furnished even in more recent
years to MIL repair facilities for touchup, such a SIMA's etc. That
is, unless it's me looking for a can...