Old July 6th 05, 04:30 AM
Bob Rinaldi

Default TO: ah6gi/4

Hi:

Well, its not a happy situation.....I'm trying to help a divorced lady meet
the court's decree that all of her ex's equipment must be sold. So I've
been trying to sell her gear for her (at no charge). And that just means
I'm trying to do what I can to get her the best price....And that includes
the 75S2 and 32S2 that I have up on ebay also.

These are legimately rare according to Rob Blocksome, so I'm trying for
$1800 on those..but will take $1500....

Yes, I've been trying a few times with those rigs.

Privately we have sold a 32S3A, 75S3C, 30K-1, KW-1, A4/KWS-1, SC-101, and a
62S-1 for her.

So, I appreciate your comments, and I do understand...

Thanks,

73, Bob
W1CNY

Old July 6th 05, 09:55 PM

Bob Rinaldi wrote:

Well, its not a happy situation.....I'm trying to help a divorced lady meet
the court's decree that all of her ex's equipment must be sold. So I've
been trying to sell her gear for her (at no charge).

And someone is giving some sort of free help in kind to the ex, too,
right?

Old July 7th 05, 01:30 AM
kh

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 03:30:23 UTC, "Bob Rinaldi"
wrote:

Hi:

Well, its not a happy situation.....I'm trying to help a divorced lady meet
the court's decree that all of her ex's equipment must be sold. So I've
been trying to sell her gear for her (at no charge). And that just means
I'm trying to do what I can to get her the best price....And that includes
the 75S2 and 32S2 that I have up on ebay also.

These are legimately rare according to Rob Blocksome, so I'm trying for
$1800 on those..but will take $1500....

I've seen the name Blocksome but gotta disagree with the conclusion.
I don't think the S-2's are especially valuable.

Back to the serial number 2 units....

Given that the auctions on the Serial Number 2 units has come in at
about $400 each, that's the price. Both for $800 roughly.

My own feeling is that a serial number 2 set is probably "valuable"
but unless I'm willing to put down my own money, my feelings don't
count. It's only worth what the market says it's worth, not a penny
more.

And for a lot of reasons, I would/could not bid even half what
you've received.

Yes, I've been trying a few times with those rigs.

Privately we have sold a 32S3A, 75S3C, 30K-1, KW-1, A4/KWS-1, SC-101, and a
62S-1 for her.

Well, those are primo units, 32S3A's are going for a fortune but
I've been watching the radio collectable market and prices seem
"soft" to me. The Collins group has a couple KWS-1's for sale.

I think it's because of several factors:

1. Radios have not crossed over into the general Yup-boomer,
nut-case, metro-sexual, "collectable", PBS-Antique-Roadshow market,
where a wooden chicken is worth tens of thousands of dollars.

If that ever happens, watch out! A 75S-1 would be worth fifty
grand. That's any 75S-1.

Well, Catalin radios have crossed over but not S-Lines.

2. Hams are "cheap" and think of radios as appliances. "It doesn't
work as well as an IC-720 or TS-520 and I can get that for
$150."

Well, yeah. But that's not the point of a boatanchor.

3. There are relatively lots of S-lines and similar radios. These
look expensive so even the clueless didn't toss them out. Except
for the reports of S-Lines and KWM-2's crushed or abandoned at the
end of the Vietnam war, most of the radios have survived. So many
that a 1958 75S-1 is worth "about" $250, maybe $300.

This is just me but I'm expecting a *real* boom in the value of
Collins. How much? How high is the sky?

I know folk who collect military stuff, civil war, WWI, medals,
guns, reproductions even.

I wonder why Collins and other Vietnam and cold war era radio's
don't appear in military collections. Curtis LeMay, SAC, Listening
Posts, Signal Intercept, the woodpecker, all that cold war era
stuff was interwoven with Collins and MARS, and the dawn of SSB.

Instead we have the Antique Roadshow on PBS and silly yups bidding
up the price of wooden chickens.

So, I appreciate your comments, and I do understand...

Thanks,

73, Bob
W1CNY

Good luck to you and that lady. Seems strange that she got the
radios in the divorce, probably a sad story there.

de ah6gi/4