Old November 30th 04, 02:54 AM
DesignGuy

Default Advice needed on HQ-100

I purchased a reconditioned Hammarlund HQ-100 a couple of years ago, and
until recently was in pretty good alignment. However once when the dial
light burned out I pulled the radio from it's cabinet and something
underneath must have shorted against the cabinet (yes, I left it on -- bad
idea).

Now the dial reads around 270 KHZ low on the 1.6-4 MHz band, and 610 KHz low
on the 10-30 MHz band. The 4-10 MHz band dial calibration is spot on.

Also, there is weak signal strength on the 0.54 - 1.6 MHz band, but that was
always the case with this receiver.

There is not enough play in the trimmers to compensate for the
miscalibration, so something else must be wrong. I can only assume it's
related to the shorting out of something when it was removed from the
cabinet.

Does anyone have any ideas or advice on what could be causing this?

Many thanks

Old November 30th 04, 05:29 AM
COLIN LAMB

Hello:

I would like to make a comment - not to embarrass you but to prevent the
same type of mistake made by others. It is a common mistake, because I have
acquired a number of receivers that suffered the same fate.

The mistake is aligning the radio when some malady occurs. The radio, over
a period of years may age slightly, requiring a minor adjustment. But, the
alignment will not jump dramatically in a manner that would be corrected by
re-alignment. A jump in frequency is an indication that something else is
wrong. Instead of re-aligning the set, the problem must be located.

At this point, play like Sherlock Holmes. Use deductive reasoning. Test
the radio on each band. Make notes of what the malfunction is and home in
on the components which are common to the problem.

In the case at hand, a jump of frequency on two bands would not be
alignment. It could only be a component which is in common between the
malfunctioning bands. Since it happened suddenly, it would be a defective
component (or possibly a short created by opening the cabinet).

Now, in addition to finding the original problem, you will need to realign
the receiver, and each realignment can cause wear on those components. I
once got an HQ-145 where every if core was cracked and most of the
oscillator and rf section cores were damaged by using an improper instrument
and some of those cores were cracked. I should have dumped the receiver but
took it as a challenge and finaly got it restored.

Regarding the receiver, I believe the rf stage may be disconnected on the
broadcast band to prevent overload, so it is not uncommon to have a deaf
receiver.

73, Colin K7FM

I am sorry I was so harsh. Perhaps it is because I am working on my
helicopter rating and any minor mistake can kill you.

---

Old November 30th 04, 02:20 PM
DesignGuy

"COLIN LAMB" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Not harsh at all.... I did inspect visually before aligning but should have
starting checking each component in common as you say. Perhaps a cap failed
somewhere. Also, the mediumwave band is not dead but just weaker than it
should be. That's a seperate issue however, as it was that way before I
screwed up the rig.

Thanks for your advice. Time to pull the schematic out again and take
another look.