Old December 5th 04, 10:43 PM
Diane

Default SP-400sx or RME 45-B

Looking at these two beauties. Both are about the same price. Assuming
same condition, what are the differences between them? I am looking mainly
for AM listening and ease of restoration. Thanks.
Phil (not Diane)

Old December 6th 04, 10:19 PM
VT1

"Mike Knudsen" wrote in message
In article , "Diane"
writes:

Looking at these two beauties. Both are about the same price. Assuming
same condition, what are the differences between them? I am looking

mainly
for AM listening and ease of restoration. Thanks.

Yes, SP400 will work wonderfully if recapped like all vintage gear.
To the contrary, the RME 45 is essentially a useless piece of junk. I have
never seen one work worth a darn. I have no idea how they ever sold them!

Old December 6th 04, 10:53 PM
Llgpt

Subject: SP-400sx or RME 45-B
From: r (Mike Knudsen)
Date: 12/5/2004 10:15 PM Central Standard Time
In article , "Diane"
writes:

Looking at these two beauties. Both are about the same price. Assuming
same condition, what are the differences between them? I am looking mainly
for AM listening and ease of restoration. Thanks.

I like RMEs but have never owned or worked on one.
But I do have a military Super Pro, BC-779A, and it is a great set. Its
outstanding feature is the continuously variable IF bandwidth control, which
varies the Q of the IF transformers by shoving slugs up into the coils as you
turn the knob. Just the ticket for hi-fi AM listening.

Two RF stages, push-pull audio (IIRC) and nice looking (tho not as sexy as an
RME). The power supply is separate, which is both good and bad (easier to
pick
up the radio :-)

I wouldn't mind selling mine, since I have too many radios, but my version
has
no BC band coverage -- it has two LW bands instead. SW bands from 2.5 to 20
MHz. In excellent restored condition.

When shopping for an SP-400, be sure to ask which bands it covers, since
Hammarlund made them (and SP-600s too) in lots of models with differing
frequency coverage. Best wishes, Mike K.
Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.

The SP-400X covers 540 kc to 30 mc, the SP-400SX covers 1.25 mc to 40 mc. Those
were the only two versions produced, whereas the SP-200 was produced in more
than 17 versions counting the military and civilian versions.

Les Locklear
Monitoring since '57
Collins 51J4
Hammarlund HQ-120X