Old December 28th 04, 08:52 AM
Dale H. Cook

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 21:43:09 -0800, Bill Turner
wrote:

If you only use the GR brand, how did you arrive at your conclusion?

Because I have used other brands owned by client stations over the
last 35 years. My personal variable autotransformers (3 of them) are
all GR.

Dale H. Cook, Chief Engineer, WWWR Roanoke VA, WCQV Moneta VA, WKBA
WZZI Vinton VA, WKPA WLNI WZZU Lynchburg VA, WMNA/WMNA-FM Gretna VA,
WOWZ Appomattox VA
http://members.cox.net/dalehcook/starcity.shtml

Old December 28th 04, 02:15 AM
COLIN LAMB

Like most hams, I use whatever brand I can find at a swap meet. Never had a
bad one, except for the one that came without a brush to connect to the
windings.

My theory is that if you find an old well used one, it means that it was a
good design and will likely last the rest of your life.

Beware of a like new used one - there may be a reason it was not used much.

Colin K7FM

---

Old December 27th 04, 02:41 AM
Brian Goldsmith

"Diane" wrote

Anyone know which variacs to avoid? The brands I am thinking of are; Staco,
Calrad, General Radio and Superior Electric (which I think is the same as
powerstat???).

**** Varaiac IS a brand,and is a registered trademark

You are asking which different brands of variable transformer should be
avoided.

Brian Goldsmith

Old December 27th 04, 04:34 AM
Edward Knobloch

Phil wrote:
Anyone know which variacs to avoid? The brands I am thinking of are; Staco,
Calrad, General Radio and Superior Electric (which I think is the same as
powerstat???).

Hi, Phil

I have a 4 Amp Superior Electric "Powerstat", and it seems of nice
quality. A one amp Ohmite variable autotransformer also seems OK.

73,
Ed Knobloch

Old December 28th 04, 01:27 AM
Dale H. Cook

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 01:09:57 GMT, "Diane" wrote:

Anyone know which variacs to avoid? The brands I am thinking of are; Staco,
Calrad, General Radio and Superior Electric (which I think is the same as
powerstat???).

Phil -

I only use Variacs (spelled with a capital V), i.e., General Radio.
They invented the variable autotransformer and, IMHO, built the best
(and probably most expensive).