Old December 28th 04, 07:33 PM
Edward Knobloch

Default "Variac" Rating?

When I bought my used Powerstat, I was told that it was 4 amp maximum.
That may be a wild guess by the previous owner.
(It is not a standard component, was once part of a motorized
voltage regulator). The iron core is about 4 inches in diameter,
and 3 inches long. Can anyone tell me what the maximum rating is?

Thanks,
Ed Knobloch
Old December 28th 04, 07:52 PM
Bill M

Edward Knobloch wrote:
When I bought my used Powerstat, I was told that it was 4 amp maximum.
That may be a wild guess by the previous owner.
(It is not a standard component, was once part of a motorized
voltage regulator). The iron core is about 4 inches in diameter,
and 3 inches long. Can anyone tell me what the maximum rating is?

Thanks,
Ed Knobloch

Can you peek inside and see the wire gauge?

-Bill

Old December 28th 04, 08:01 PM
Scott Dorsey

Edward Knobloch wrote:
When I bought my used Powerstat, I was told that it was 4 amp maximum.
That may be a wild guess by the previous owner.
(It is not a standard component, was once part of a motorized
voltage regulator). The iron core is about 4 inches in diameter,
and 3 inches long. Can anyone tell me what the maximum rating is?

Throw 60W lamps on it.

When you have enough lamps that the winding gets too hot to touch for
a count of three seconds after the normal amount of operating time, you
are at the rating.

Note that a unit that is rated to 4 amps on a 50% duty cycle at 10 seconds
is probably rated for around 2 amps continuous duty.
--scott

Old December 28th 04, 09:04 PM
Edward Knobloch

Hi, Bill

It looks like AWG #20 enameled wire.
There is also a fixed tap about 40% of the way
back from one end of the winding.

73,
Ed Knobloch

Old December 29th 04, 11:03 AM
Ed Price

"Edward Knobloch" wrote in message
When I bought my used Powerstat, I was told that it was 4 amp maximum.
That may be a wild guess by the previous owner.
(It is not a standard component, was once part of a motorized
voltage regulator). The iron core is about 4 inches in diameter,
and 3 inches long. Can anyone tell me what the maximum rating is?

Thanks,
Ed Knobloch

4 amps intermittent might be reasonable. Continuous may be a little
optimistic. A lot depends on how big a fan you have. g

Ed
wb6wsn

Old January 30th 05, 12:29 PM
larry

I got on several years ago and noticed that along the edge of the non
conductive mounting there was a note that told me how much current I could
pass through the windings...
Larry