Old September 9th 05, 10:02 PM
Edward Knobloch

Default Tube Socket Source (for Nuvistors, etc.)

Hi, Gang

I've recntly bought some "New Old Stock" tube sockets from
www.electronicsurplus.com
in Cleveland. Here is my report:

I was pleased with the Cinch Nuvistor sockets for $.79 each, P/N 5NS.
They are chassis mount, with what appears to be polyethylene insulation.
Their site says they have 924 in stock.

I was also pleased with the Cinch phenolic 7 pin miniature sockets
with shield bases for $.45 P/N PT-172 (They called them "National",
but they weren't really sockets made by National).

Only moderately pleased with the Cinch ceramic 7 pin miniature sockets,
P/N S0101C (due to tarnishing of the shield bases), for $1.39.
The ceramic itself was in good condition.

I bought some Amphenol sockets, "7 pin w/o center hole",
P/N 6-199 suitable for type 1625 tubes, for $2.50.
The sockets are perfect, but I think I paid too much for phenolic sockets.

I also bought some Amphenol 9 pin "octal type" phenolic sockets,
P/N 9-211 for $1 each. I thought they would be the type
that I could remove the mounting flange from, (useful
for making 9 pin plugs), but the flange
looks permanent. Oh well, good for the junk box, anyway.

73,
Ed Knobloch