Old December 13th 04, 07:18 PM
zeno

Default ARC 5 Transmitter

Someone gave me an old ARC 5 (7-9.1) transmitter found at the county
dump. I would like to see if I can get it going on 40 meter CW. I have
found some information online, namely a schematic and an article for
"converting to Amateur use". I realize this is a crap shoot, but I
think it would be fun trying. I am trying to verify the wiring
according to this old schematic knowing that so many units have been
hacked into over the years. I have put together a power supply along
the lines of the reprinted "converting" article available at the ARRL
website. The Xtal in this unit is 8870 KC. Is this OK? How does this
Xtal function in this otherwise VFO unit, and what determines the
frequency that was chosen for this xtal? Other information or sources
of information would be welcome. Anyone else have any luck with these
things? Any recommendations?

Bill K6TAJ