Old September 22nd 05, 02:58 AM

Default Little chief capacitors

I have a Hallicrafters SX110 on the operating table behind me. I find
about 7 tubular film capacitors in it called "Tiny Chief". Also about a
dozen of what I think are the "Black Beauty" Sprague parts. Black with
pretty color bands on em.

I'm going to change the black beauties and the electrolytics. What
about the Little Chiefs? Anybody recognize a little chief?

While we're at it how bout those square jobs with the six or so dots on
em?

73
Bob
N9NEO

Old September 22nd 05, 03:12 AM
COLIN LAMB

The postage stamp caps are micas. Generally ok - unless they are in WWII
radios and black, in which case they are all bad.

Colin K7FM

Old September 22nd 05, 04:30 AM
Chuck Harris

COLIN LAMB wrote:
The postage stamp caps are micas. Generally ok - unless they are in WWII
radios and black, in which case they are all bad.

Seems to me that the black capacitors that look, and are
marked like "postage stamp" micas, are actually paper
dielectric.

-Chuck
Old September 22nd 05, 05:30 AM
Phil Nelson

What Bill said.

For future reference, the article at http://antiqueradio.org/recap.htm has
advice on replacing capacitors and some info on distinguishing the various
types and reading their values.

In case you don't already have the schematic, it can be downloaded from:

ftp://bama.sbc.edu/downloads/hallicra/sx110/

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Old September 23rd 05, 04:02 AM

OK FB. film and electrolytics get changed and micas stay if good.

Yep Chiefs are the pink ones - somebody told me they were all pink
inside.

73
Bob
N9NEO

Old September 24th 05, 06:34 PM
GBrown

Nope, toss the mics to. There pretty easy and inexpensive to replace. I
spent two days tracking one of these down in an AGC circuit that was leaky
under load but not under a test.

--
Regards,
Gary...WZ1M
oups.com...

Old September 25th 05, 01:04 PM
K3HVG

I'll have to second the motion. In many WW2 sets that I've either
gotten on the air or working on, the postage stamp micas are becoming
almost 90% bad. In a BC-669D, I had to change out 100%. My position
is, if I'm in there already, I'll just finish the job. I'll add that
some mfg of small screwdriver-adjusted variable caps, used in the
RF/MIX/LO circuits or receivers (typically), are shedding their
retaining collars (split open) and allowing the plates to short. Worst
cases have been BC-312/342, RMB/RBS, and a few others.
de K3HVG

Bill wrote:
wrote:

I have a Hallicrafters SX110 on the operating table behind me. I find
about 7 tubular film capacitors in it called "Tiny Chief". Also about a
dozen of what I think are the "Black Beauty" Sprague parts. Black with
pretty color bands on em.

I'm going to change the black beauties and the electrolytics. What
about the Little Chiefs? Anybody recognize a little chief?

While we're at it how bout those square jobs with the six or so dots on
em?
73 Bob N9NEO

The banded Black Beauties are a no-brainer. Chuck 'em. If those "Tiny
Chief" are the pink ones they are a no-brainer too...but ya just can't
recoup your 'operating costs' with them like you can with an ebay sale
of old BBs

Domino caps? If they are large values like .001 or greater then they
are most likely paper caps (not mica) and all of the above applies. The
mica cap failure rate seems to be increasing these days so you can't
always rule them as 'good' but the paper Micamold guys must go for long
term reliability.

-Bill