Old December 17th 05, 06:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Steve2

Default J.L.A. McLaughlin Signal Splitter -- sideband convertor?

Hi,

I have a JLA McLaughlin "signal splitter" model number MCL 10 VBX. I would
guess it's from the 1950's or so, and I'm trying figure out what it is and
maybe get some history on it.

It was used in a set up with a R-390A, R-389, and a Panoramic Radio
Panalyzor SB-8b. My guess is that it's a sideband adaptor since it had an
input from the IF of the receivers and has an "upper" and "lower" switch.
It's in a rackmount chassis with a black crinkle paint face plate.

Is anyone familiar with this?

Thanks,
Steve

Old December 17th 05, 09:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Scott Dorsey

Steve2 wrote:

I have a JLA McLaughlin "signal splitter" model number MCL 10 VBX. I would
guess it's from the 1950's or so, and I'm trying figure out what it is and
maybe get some history on it.

It was used in a set up with a R-390A, R-389, and a Panoramic Radio
Panalyzor SB-8b. My guess is that it's a sideband adaptor since it had an
input from the IF of the receivers and has an "upper" and "lower" switch.
It's in a rackmount chassis with a black crinkle paint face plate.

It is indeed a sideband adaptor, and it will work with any receiver that
has a 455 MC IF output. I've been looking for one for years.

I'd guess it was from the early sixties. There were a lot of similar
devices that became available as commercial SSB took off. As I recall,
this is not one of the super-high-grade ones with the 7680 sheet-beam
tube, but the IF filtering on the 390A is good enough that it shouldn't
matter much.
--scott