Old January 3rd 06, 08:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Arlen Kerbaugh

Default a couple newbie questions about the Yaesu FRG-7 ?

I am new to this hobby and have acquired a beautifully cared for
FRG-7. It is externally stock but has the Gilfer MOD-1 kit and a
Collins 2.1 kHz mechanical filter installed and documented
professionally.

Question 1: Inside the internal battery bay is a slide switch with a
couple large resistors (15 & 5.6 ohm) on it. What might this be used
for? It looks original to me but I suppose it could be from one of the
mods. BTW, this radio has never had a battery in it.

Question 2: Does anyone know where I should tap into with my Tek freq
counter to look at a digital output that would correspond to the dial
readings on the front? I have downloaded the schematic but am not very
radio savvy yet.

A little background: I've just retired from 20+ years as an avionics
technician, but, unfortunately, most of my expertise is in radar.
Waveguides in place of wires. I've run many aircraft radios across
test stations but that didn't help me much (some though) with the
theory behind them.

I am in full-bore research mode right now concerning radios and have
so much to learn (I've been mostly lost in all the different antennas
out there). I'm pretty anal and have been spoiled by mil spec so who
knows where this will take me.

Is this the best newsgroup for this type of posting or am I off base
here? I know the FRG-7 doesn't have tubes but it is analog. What
determines a boatanchor?

Best regards,

Arlen
Old January 3rd 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Dave

Hi Arlen,

The resistors might possible be for a battery
discharge for NiCads - I once had a switch to
fully drain batteries in a radio before recharging
them - NiCads were fussy about that. Your
resistor values sound about right as a 'drain' for
Nicads.

Regarding your Frequency counter, I don't believe
you can tap in and get anything but a local oscillator
readout. Not sure what the IF in a FRG-7 is, but
that's what your meter will read. Someone makes
a digital add-on for receivers that adds difference
back in so you're reading the actual frequency, not
the local oscillator.

I may be wrong on an FRG as they use a funky
tuning system that may have the fundamental
available as an oscillator but I really can't say for
sure.

Dave
Old January 4th 06, 08:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
gb

"Arlen Kerbaugh" wrote in message
I am new to this hobby and have acquired a beautifully cared for
FRG-7. It is externally stock but has the Gilfer MOD-1 kit and a
Collins 2.1 kHz mechanical filter installed and documented
professionally.

[snip]

Is this the best newsgroup for this type of posting or am I off base
here? I know the FRG-7 doesn't have tubes but it is analog. What
determines a boatanchor?

Arlen -

Look at this web page on the FRG-7 sponsored by Fox Tango International
(Yaesu owners/user group)
http://foxtango.org/frg7/foxtangofrg7.htm

The owners and maintenance manual for the FRG-7 is available on their web
pages, as well as Ken Walker's web page on the FRG-7
http://www.crocuta.com/FRG7/index.html

FRG-7 User Notice board
http://p206.ezboard.com/fshortwavean...enersforumfrm1

There is also a Yahoo user group "FRG-7" hosted by Mrs. Petra Henderson,
DG1PEH

g. beat
w9gb

The FAQ (Well, Question 1, at least) Airy R.Bean Homebrew 20 February 22nd 05 07:04 PM
The FAQ (Well, Question 1, at least) Airy R.Bean General 20 February 22nd 05 07:04 PM
A newbie with a couple of questions. Donnie B Antenna 10 February 1st 04 06:49 PM
Newbie Questions MikeB General 88 November 25th 03 09:04 AM
Newbie Questions MikeB General 0 October 10th 03 02:39 AM