Old January 5th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Hallicrafters SX-42 Parts Needed

I need the following bits and bobs for my SX-42:

Knurled Antenna screws (three)
The post on the tilt up cover that snaps it in place (one)
Set screws for all the knobs.

Thank you
Rich

Old January 6th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
gb

wrote in message
oups.com...
I need the following bits and bobs for my SX-42:

Knurled Antenna screws (three)
The post on the tilt up cover that snaps it in place (one)
Set screws for all the knobs.

Thank you
Rich

Rich -

Phil Nelson may have a parts chassis
http://antiqueradio.org/halli07.htm

You can also request this in the: rec.antiques.radio+phono Usenet group.
Some Hallicrafters restorers there as well.

I do not have a good photo of the rear SX-42 panel for the antenna
terminals.

Of that era:

H.H. Smith metal binding posts
http://www.abbatron.com/products/part/get/ppj_ibn_meta

Binding post style terminal strips
http://www.abbatron.com/products/part/get/hdw_tsb_bdgp

Knob style binding posts
http://www.abbatron.com/products/part/get/ppj_ibn_knob

Battery Nut Washer
http://www.abbatron.com/products/part/get/hdw_snw_banu

Brass Chassis Fasteners
http://www.abbatron.com/products/spa...stener/sps_bcs

w9gb

Old January 6th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Phil Nelson

Phil Nelson may have a parts chassis
http://antiqueradio.org/halli07.htm

Hey, small world. Rich already contacted me, and I did have one other bit
that he's looking for. But my junker is missing the things he mentions in
this thread, so I suggested he post here. Surely I can't be the only one on
Planet Earth with a junker SX-42 :-)

Knob style binding posts
http://www.abbatron.com/products/part/get/ppj_ibn_knob

At a glance, the type A knurled binding post from Abbatron looks closest to
the SX-42 part. The others would work if that one's too fat. It would have
to be insulated from the chassis, of course, but if I'm not mistaken, the
original antenna connectors are mounted on a little phenolic board. I should
order a couple myself. Two of the connectors on my set are half-stripped and
wobbly.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Old January 6th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
gb

"Phil Nelson" wrote in message
Phil Nelson may have a parts chassis
http://antiqueradio.org/halli07.htm

Hey, small world. Rich already contacted me, and I did have one other bit
that he's looking for. But my junker is missing the things he mentions in
this thread, so I suggested he post here. Surely I can't be the only one
on Planet Earth with a junker SX-42 :-)

You have the patience of "Job" for that SX-42 restoration (nice photos).

Knob style binding posts
http://www.abbatron.com/products/part/get/ppj_ibn_knob

At a glance, the type A knurled binding post from Abbatron looks closest
to the SX-42 part. The others would work if that one's too fat. It would
have to be insulated from the chassis, of course, but if I'm not mistaken,
the original antenna connectors are mounted on a little phenolic board. I
should order a couple myself. Two of the connectors on my set are
half-stripped and wobbly.

Yes, H.H. Smith had many owners over past 15 years - but I think it has
settled down and the move to Meadville (western PA) was likely a good move).
At one time, their web site had the entire original binding posts (past 75
years) .. they removed some of the models from the web site lisitng --
which I guess was due to lack of interest of sales.
Restorers should be jumping on some of these items -- since H.H. Swmtich was
likely the origonal suppleir when they were in New Jersey.

They also have the old style "pin plug" that were used extensively in the
1940s for headphone jacks, etc.

Greg

Old January 6th 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
tchrme

Rich,
I have a parts unit. I probably have the antenna screws and the cover
post you need. I will ck tomorrow (Fri) and let you know. 73 Mike KF6KXG

Old January 6th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Frank Dresser

"Phil Nelson" wrote in message

Two of the connectors on my set are half-stripped and
wobbly.

Do you still have washers under all the connector screws? On my SX-62, the
connector screws threads were undercut at the base. I was missing a couple
of washers, and the phrase "half-stripped and wobbly" would have described
the connections perfectly, until I replaced the washers.

Frank Dresser

Old January 7th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
tchrme

Rich,
I have a cover snap post but not the knurled antenna screws. Please
email me ) your mailing address and I will send it to
you. 73 Mike KF6KXG