Old February 2nd 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Fred W4JLE

Default Double Super Hetrodyne what does this do in a CB Radio ?

A funny story, Years ago I used to work on HAM equipment and ran a small
shop out of my basement. One day a CBer showed up with a Browning radio.
After repairing the fault, I noticed a design flaw. A capacitor across the
B+ was on the wrong side of the transmit relay.

It allowed sufficient B+ to keep the transmitter alive when the unit went to
receive and caused a feedback "ping".

I corrected the default in design and returned the radio to the owner. He
came back mad as a wet hen because his "Browning Ping" was gone. Being the
curmudgeon I am, I put in a LARGE cap extending the ping to nearly a second.
I thought that would really **** him off. Sad to say I had a wave of CBers
wanting me to fix their pings like the first guy.

"- exray -" wrote in message
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee wrote:
We're 10-8 and on the side bubba 10-4? beep. Gotcha comin on. Beep.

I really don't know this lingo...I'm reading it off the side of a 1970s

-Bill

Old February 4th 06, 03:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Captain Crane

CB Radio is Still Fun !!!!. Its True DX Radio unlike using a ham -
Trunking device and repeaters like CEL Phones Do.
CB is Good Old Fashion AM ( REAL DX ) Radio.
Brian , Las Vegas

Old February 4th 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
- exray -

Captain Crane wrote:

CB Radio is Still Fun !!!!. Its True DX Radio unlike using a ham -
Trunking device and repeaters like CEL Phones Do.
CB is Good Old Fashion AM ( REAL DX ) Radio.
Brian , Las Vegas

What does "using a ham" mean?

-Bill
Old February 4th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Uncle Peter

"- exray -" wrote in message
Captain Crane wrote:

CB Radio is Still Fun !!!!. Its True DX Radio unlike using a ham -
Trunking device and repeaters like CEL Phones Do.
CB is Good Old Fashion AM ( REAL DX ) Radio.
Brian , Las Vegas

What does "using a ham" mean?

-Bill

I think he intended to use It as a modifier for "trunking devices", etc.

I guess the CB crowd abandoned SSB for good ol' Y-AM...

Pete 10 Fer?

Old February 4th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Don Bowey

On 2/4/06 7:29 AM, in article bL3Ff.37405$bF.14747@dukeread07, "Uncle Peter"
wrote:

"- exray -" wrote in message
Captain Crane wrote:

CB Radio is Still Fun !!!!. Its True DX Radio unlike using a ham -
Trunking device and repeaters like CEL Phones Do.
CB is Good Old Fashion AM ( REAL DX ) Radio.
Brian , Las Vegas

What does "using a ham" mean?

-Bill

I think he intended to use It as a modifier for "trunking devices", etc.

I guess the CB crowd abandoned SSB for good ol' Y-AM...

Pete 10 Fer?

There is still SSB activity on CB - Usually in the high channels.

Don

Old February 4th 06, 07:49 PM
Junior Member

Location: near detroit

Many CB radios were so good they were converted to 10M and were appreciated
for their advance design.

Don[/quote]

advanced design?
sry om had nothing to do with advanced design

cb radios were converted to 10 meters
because they were cheap and easy
often conversion took little more than one rock and alignment

could pick up all kinds of non runing cb rigs for free
often took only a hour or two and few junk box parts
now had free cb rig ready to convert to ten meters

brand new surplus High Gain 23 channel boards
sold for as little as $12.99
less if you bought more than one board
no case, no knobs, no pots no meter or switches
few hours work, few parts
now had cheap kick around ten meter qrp lash up

at one time there were at least 25 ops
in and around Detroit running converted cb radios
don't think any of us, had more than 100 bucks invested

yes there were some very well made cb radios
there were some very poorly made cb radios

it was not advanced design
that caused so many to be converted to ten meters

Mac w8znx
Old February 4th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Edward Knobloch

Captain Crane wrote:
Hi, Does anyone know What Double Super Hetrodyne does in a CB radio.
I have a GE 40 channel cb and it has Double Super Hetrodyne.
Brian - Las Vegas

Hi,

If you go to wikipedia.org and search for "superheterodyne",
it will explain the concept. The "double conversion superheterodyne"
is explained in the wikipedia article, as a method of improved receiver
image rejection. The article has plenty of links to lead you
to further information, if desired.

73,
Ed Knobloch
Old February 5th 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Don Bowey

On 2/4/06 11:49 AM, in article , "de Mac"
wrote:

[...]

Don't apologize, you are correct that there were both good and mediocre CB
equipment available..... So what's new? Same with ham gear.

Some if us went for quality, not cheapest. If you convert crap you still had
crap. Mine was dual conversion and had a great noise canceller.

Don

Old February 5th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Michael A. Terrell

- exray - wrote:

Captain Crane wrote:

CB Radio is Still Fun !!!!. Its True DX Radio unlike using a ham -
Trunking device and repeaters like CEL Phones Do.
CB is Good Old Fashion AM ( REAL DX ) Radio.
Brian , Las Vegas

What does "using a ham" mean?

-Bill

To me its the second thing on my recipe for a ham sandwich. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

203 English-language HF Broadcasts audible in NE US (27-NOV-04) Albert P. Belle Isle Shortwave 1 December 1st 04 05:09 AM
shortwv John Lauritsen Shortwave 0 November 28th 04 07:19 PM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1402 ­ June 25, 2004 Radionews Shortwave 0 June 25th 04 07:32 PM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1402 ­ June 25, 2004 Radionews General 0 June 25th 04 07:29 PM
GE Superadios for Dummies [ GE Super Radios I - II - III ] RHF Shortwave 9 March 22nd 04 09:37 AM