Old February 2nd 06, 07:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Bill Bird

Default Need help on Central Electronics VFO 457

(sorry for posting this twice, in error I posted as reply, hope this is better)

Hi,

I've just gotten my Central Electronics 20-A working nicely on cw into a dummy
load on 3595 KHz using my one crystal. I've got a VFO 457 and VFO 458 that I'm
wanting to begin using for my first time. I'm starting with the 457 and could
use some help.

Instead of a 0C3 tube the unit has a 0D3.
Instead of a 1626 tube the unit has a VT135/12J5GT tube.
The second 1629 tube has not been removed (no wire to top cap)

The "Basic Modification of the BC-457, BC-458 or BC-459 as a VFO for Model 10 or
20 Multiphase Exciter for 12 Volt Operations" states at one point: "Remove the
1629 eye tube and also the 1625 located near the tuning shaft, Jumpers should be
installed across the filament terminals of these unused sockets."

I'm guessing having the second 1625 installed without a wire to the top cap
might be just to provide the jumper across the filament terminal for its socket.
I don't know where the 1629 eye tube used to be. I also wonder why the 0D3
and VT135/12J5GT are installed.

I am thinking this VFO 457 was modified and working many years ago. This VFO
457 was hooked up to the 20-A when I got both units. Thanks for your help on
the VFO 457 or any comments about the 457 vs the 458 since I will be trying to
get both working but focused on the 457 for now.

73,

Bill Bird
KG0YJ
Chesterfield, MO