Old March 8th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Rod

Default Alignment procedure for S-38

OK, time to start a new topic. I'm now tryign to align my S-38s and I
have some questions. I have an RF generator and its working fine. Do I
need a VTVM to connect to the speaker pins? Or will any multi-meter
type instrument work? Is it ACV that needs to be measured? Also, the
S-38 alignment instructions says when aligning the 455kc section to
connect the hot lead to the "stator plates of the rear section of the
tuning gang." Now, I know what the tuning gang is, at least I think I
do, but what are the stator plates? Any help on these questions would
sure help out someone who's learned a lot with his first boatanchor
restoration, but needs to know a bit more.
Thanks, Rod

Old March 8th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Mike Andrews

Rod wrote:
OK, time to start a new topic. I'm now tryign to align my S-38s and I
have some questions. I have an RF generator and its working fine. Do I
need a VTVM to connect to the speaker pins? Or will any multi-meter
type instrument work? Is it ACV that needs to be measured? Also, the
S-38 alignment instructions says when aligning the 455kc section to
connect the hot lead to the "stator plates of the rear section of the
tuning gang." Now, I know what the tuning gang is, at least I think I
do, but what are the stator plates? Any help on these questions would
sure help out someone who's learned a lot with his first boatanchor
restoration, but needs to know a bit more.
Thanks, Rod

Probably any old multimeter will work fine for speaker output; it's
the AGC lines and suchlike that really want zillion-Ohm-per-Volt
meters. At the speaker pins, you'll be measuring ACV.

The stator is the set of plates that doesn't move, that is
_stat_ionary, hence _stat_or.

Good luck, and thanks for asking!

--
ASR: We took both pills.
Old March 8th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
COLIN LAMB

The new digital volt meters are high enough impedance to replace the vtvm in
most tuning applications, although they are a bit more finicky to tune with.
But if you are slow and methodical, it will work fine. The vtvm needs to be
pulled down off the shelf and plugged in.

The plates of the capacitor are the rotor and stator. The rotor is grounded
through the shaft.

It is possible, especially n the higher frequencies to align the mixer to
the image, which is 910 kHz away.

Good luck. When you are finished, have a cold 807.

73, Colin K7FM

Old March 8th 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

The stator plates are the plates that do not move. I strongly suggest
that you find somebody locally who can guide you around before you
start poking among those voltages.

Steve, W3DEF