Old March 9th 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Carter, K8VT

Default Clegg Question

I recently ran across a Clegg 22er am/fm. A web search turned up the
original Clegg 22er (AM only), the 22er II (?) --presumably also AM only
and a Clegg 22 FM. None of these seem to do both AM and FM.

However, the one I have is marked "am/fm" and the front panel controls
seem to indicate it is capable of either.

Is this somewhat scarce? Maybe a prototype? Any Clegg collectors out
there that might be interested (or are they-the collectors, that is-
pretty scarce?)

73,
Carter K8VT
Old March 9th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
William Warren

Carter, K8VT wrote:
I recently ran across a Clegg 22er am/fm. A web search turned up the
original Clegg 22er (AM only), the 22er II (?) --presumably also AM only
and a Clegg 22 FM. None of these seem to do both AM and FM.

However, the one I have is marked "am/fm" and the front panel controls
seem to indicate it is capable of either.

Is this somewhat scarce? Maybe a prototype? Any Clegg collectors out
there that might be interested (or are they-the collectors, that is-
pretty scarce?)

73,
Carter K8VT

Carter,

Towards the end of AM era, many VHF transceivers were converted to
_transmit_ FM using varacter diodes. It worked surprisingly well, but
required "slope detection" of the received signals, i.e., using an AM
receiver to tune the FM signal onto the skirts of the IF filters, thus
converting FM directly to AM.

If your unit is a prototype, the receiver will probably have both
product and ratio detectors, i.e., it will be a "true" FM receiver. If
there's no FM receiver, I'd guess it's a homebrew conversion.

FWIW.

William

--
William Warren

(Filter noise from my address for direct replies)
Old March 10th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Carter, K8VT

William Warren wrote:
Carter, K8VT wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the thoughts...

BTW, one thing I should have mentioned is that the factory silk
screening right on the front panel says "Clegg
22'er AM/FM" so it seems unlikely that it is homebrew... and a web
search has, so far, not turned up anything with that name/labeling.
Old March 10th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Dale Parfitt

"Carter, K8VT" wrote in message
. com...
William Warren wrote:
Carter, K8VT wrote:
[...]

I thought I knew Clegg/ Squires Sanders fairly well- but that is a new one
to me. Never have seen it even mentioned.
Do you have a manual?
Dale W4OP

Old March 10th 06, 11:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Carter, K8VT

William Warren wrote:
Carter, K8VT wrote:
[...]

No, I'm sorry to say that I do not have the manual...and that is what
prompted this whole quest. When I went to do web research to find a
manual, nothing showed up. That's why I almost suspected a prototype or
possibly Clegg's last gasp--a rig that just barely got to market before
they went under???

Carter K8VT

Old March 10th 06, 12:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Carter, K8VT

Dale Parfitt wrote:

I thought I knew Clegg/ Squires Sanders fairly well- but that is a new one
to me. Never have seen it even mentioned.
Do you have a manual?
Dale W4OP

Sorry, I forgot to ask this in my previous response...

Can you refer me to any Clegg web sites?

Also, what, if any, was the tie-in between Clegg and Squires Sanders? I
always thought of Clegg as V/UHF and SS as HF.

Carter K8VT

P.S. As you seem knowledgeable about Clegg, would you like me to email
you a picture of it?
Old March 10th 06, 01:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Dale Parfitt

"Carter, K8VT" wrote in message
. net...
Dale Parfitt wrote:

I thought I knew Clegg/ Squires Sanders fairly well- but that is a new
one to me. Never have seen it even mentioned.
Do you have a manual?
Dale W4OP

Sorry, I forgot to ask this in my previous response...

Can you refer me to any Clegg web sites?

Also, what, if any, was the tie-in between Clegg and Squires Sanders? I
always thought of Clegg as V/UHF and SS as HF.

Carter K8VT

P.S. As you seem knowledgeable about Clegg, would you like me to email you
a picture of it?

Yes, I would like a picture. I'm on dial up- so be gentle.
I think SS bought Clegg in their latter years. Seem to also recall that SS
had at least one CB transceiver.

Dale

Old March 11th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
William Warren

Dale Parfitt wrote:
"Carter, K8VT" wrote in message
. net...

[snip]

P.S. As you seem knowledgeable about Clegg, would you like me to email you
a picture of it?

Yes, I would like a picture. I'm on dial up- so be gentle.
I think SS bought Clegg in their latter years. Seem to also recall that SS
had at least one CB transceiver.

Dale

Carter,

Please post it to alt.binaries.pictures.radio, and place a link here.

TIA.

Old March 11th 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Ron in Radio Heaven

Please post it to alt.binaries.pictures.radio, and place a link here.

YES, please do post it to the binaries NG, I would like to see it too.
I have a Clegg 22er FM, I've had several so called experts tell
me that there's no such thing, then I pull out a photo of it.
I also have a manual for it too.

73, Ron

Old March 12th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Carter, K8VT

Ron in Radio Heaven wrote:
Please post it to alt.binaries.pictures.radio, and place a link here.

YES, please do post it to the binaries NG, I would like to see it too.
I have a Clegg 22er FM, I've had several so called experts tell
me that there's no such thing, then I pull out a photo of it.
I also have a manual for it too.

73, Ron

OK...It looks like I have posted three JPGs (~35-50 kB each) to
alt.binaries.pictures.radio, called Clegg-1, -2 and -3. First attempt at
that...hope I did it right.

BTW, is Ed (?) Clegg or any of the other principles of the company still
around?

73,
Carter K8VT