Old March 17th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Steve Nosko

Default What's A Boat Anchor

"Chuck Harris" wrote in message
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Ed wrote:
It's a tube rig made in America by Americans. I love my 78 Toyota

pickup,
but it will never be the classic a pre-70's American made vehicle is,

it is
worthless to anyone but me. Same for rice box radios, after the new is

worn
off, they're worthless compared to vintage American made rigs, just

look on
EBay. Yes, I owned rice boxes the first time around, thousands of

dollars
worth of rice boxes, and now they're worth the same amount as my 78 Toy
pickup.

No, not at all. I have used German boatanchors and Soviet boatanchors.
Never used any of the prewar or wartime Japanese boatanchors, but I have
seen a few on display now and then.

If the input power in watts is less than the weight in pounds, it's a
boatanchor.
--scott

Well, than that leaves out the R-390/390A series. They weigh about 70-80

pounds,
and draw 140W w/o ovens, and 250W w/ovens.

It also leaves out the KWM-2, TCS, and just about everything else I can
think of.

Care to try again with your definition?

-Chuck

I think that was more of a tougue-in-cheek than a definitative definition...
73, Steve, k,9.D/C'I

Old March 17th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Caveat Lector

Interesting that there are really two threads going here

1. What is origin of the name "Boatanchor"

2; What qualifies as a "Boatanchor"

For number one, a lot of research went into finding the origin
See results here URL:
http://ac6v.com/73.htm#ba

For number two. Qualifications -- lotsa opinions here -- many subjective
depending on the muscles of the beholder (;-)

Some proposed "Classic" -- I really feel the TS-520, TS-830, HRO models, and
several Collins do or will qualify as classic by virtue of obtaining a
standard of excellence, but a classic is not necessarily a boatanchor IMHO

But if you want to see a lot of real boatanchors see URL:
http://members.cox.net/wa6mhz/

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old March 20th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Mike Coslo

Default When did Kenwoods etc become "boatanchors"?

Cal wrote:
Kenwoods, Yaesus, Icoms, Sonys...sheesh!
Don't you guys with your modern rice boxes have plenty of other forums to
fill up? I know you'd like to think your stuff is "classic" but it isn't
and doesn't belong here.

As time marches on, that boatanchor definition will inevitably expand
to include tube radios of all sorts.

And why shouldn't it? Those early "rice boxes" have a lot in common
with the "true boat anchors".

They are all vintage radios, and of a design not made any more.

Don't sweat it - it's all good...

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old March 20th 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Mike Coslo

Bob Miller wrote:
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 09:55:22 -0600, "Cal"
wrote:

Kenwoods, Yaesus, Icoms, Sonys...sheesh!
Don't you guys with your modern rice boxes have plenty of other forums to
fill up? I know you'd like to think your stuff is "classic" but it isn't
and doesn't belong here.

Okay, what is a boat anchor?

Since we are dealing in exact definitions here - its that thingy on a
boat that is supposed to keep it in one place. Kind of a hooked cross on
a big chain.

When did old time radios become "boatanchors"? hehe ;^)

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Old March 22nd 06, 06:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Ed Zeranski

............. Those early "rice boxes" have a lot in common
with the "true boat anchors".

I rebuilt a K'wood 520 for Gary KM6A. It had tubes (6146)so it is BA for
me...perhaps the end of BA but BA just the same. Crap sakes! If you look
the other way, as in back, before tubes there were crystal sets...proto
solid state....so our beloved tube sets were perhaps a short lived
transitional stage....~8^* OOOOH but I like them anyway.

EdZ

Old March 23rd 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Ben Bradley

wrote:

Kenwoods, Yaesus, Icoms, Sonys...sheesh!
Don't you guys with your modern rice boxes have plenty of other forums to
fill up? I know you'd like to think your stuff is "classic" but it isn't
and doesn't belong here.

I've wondered if some American-made tube radios could really be
called boatanchors, such as the S-38. It's small, line-powered and
thus NO power transformer, and light enough that even if it doesn't
float, I wouldn't feel confident using it to anchor the smallest boat
that would hold me.

I recall my father's NC-300. He used it for a short while with his
SB-400, then when he got and assembled an SB-301, he put the NC-300 on
a separate table for SWL. That thing has double conversion, lots of
tubes including one for current regulation, a VR-150 for voltage
regulation, a 100kHz crystal calibrator w/oscillator tube, and of
course a power transformer to run them all that by itself must weigh
many times more than an S-38. It's got the mass of a boatanchor, and
so in a pinch (when you don't mind destroying a perfectly good radio)
it would work well to hold a boat in one place.

Old March 28th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Michael Coslo

Ed Zeranski wrote:
............ Those early "rice boxes" have a lot in common
with the "true boat anchors".

I rebuilt a K'wood 520 for Gary KM6A. It had tubes (6146)so it is BA for
me...perhaps the end of BA but BA just the same. Crap sakes! If you look
the other way, as in back, before tubes there were crystal sets...proto
solid state....so our beloved tube sets were perhaps a short lived
transitional stage....~8^* OOOOH but I like them anyway.

I came in late to the game, having been weaned on transistorized
radios. And am happy to have discovered hollow state technology at this
late stage of the game. The glow, the sound, the look and the smell too,
for cryin' out loud. All awesome.

To put it another way, perhaps more understandable today...

TUBEZ RULEZ!

- 73 de mike KB3EIA -

FS International Radio SSB Filter for Kenwoods Charlie Hugg Swap 0 October 11th 05 06:04 PM
KENWOOD'S FOR SALE Jerry Swap 0 December 18th 04 06:29 PM
fa- TURNER + THREE DESK MICROPHONE for KENWOODS ! 1-day RLucch2098 Swap 0 November 1st 03 03:35 PM
Fa= TURNER + THREE DESK MICROPHONE for KENWOODS ! RLucch2098 Equipment 2 October 31st 03 03:49 PM
FOR SALE KENWOODS AND DENTRONS Jayne Medley Swap 0 August 14th 03 04:38 PM