RadioBanter

-   -   Tube tester (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/94366-tube-tester.html)

Jump'n Jack Flash May 13th 06 02:29 AM

Tube tester

I am looking to buy a heathkit tube tester. Can anyone enlighten me on the
order of model number. Is TC1 the earliest and the TC2, TC3, and finally
TC17 and or is there major differences in the models. I can't seem to fine
any catalog info on these.
Thanks

Chuck Harris May 13th 06 01:35 PM

Tube tester

Jump'n Jack Flash wrote:
I am looking to buy a heathkit tube tester. Can anyone enlighten me on the
order of model number. Is TC1 the earliest and the TC2, TC3, and finally
TC17 and or is there major differences in the models. I can't seem to fine
any catalog info on these.
Thanks

Did you want the Heathkit for a collection, or to use?

The reason I ask, is the Heathkit is an emissions tester, and as a result,
doesn't actually test anything but the cathode of the tube, and to check for
shorts.

Any of the Hickok machines would be a much better choice. They are all dynamic
mutual conductance (Gm) testers... (But then, with a used Heathkit, you do get
the added advantage of having a unit that was soldered by a hobbyist;-)

-Chuck

Chris Suslowicz May 13th 06 06:53 PM

Tube tester

In article ,
Chuck Harris wrote:

Jump'n Jack Flash wrote:
I am looking to buy a heathkit tube tester.

Did you want the Heathkit for a collection, or to use?

The reason I ask, is the Heathkit is an emissions tester, and as a result,
doesn't actually test anything but the cathode of the tube, and to check for
shorts.

Any of the Hickok machines would be a much better choice. They are all dynamic
mutual conductance (Gm) testers... (But then, with a used Heathkit, you do get
the added advantage of having a unit that was soldered by a hobbyist;-)

So *that* explains the high prices of the unbuilt Heathkit projects on eBay!

Truly things /are/ stranger than we can imagine.

8-)

Chris.

Beerbarrel May 14th 06 05:45 AM

Tube tester

On Sat, 13 May 2006 23:42:53 GMT, "Jump'n Jack Flash"
wrote:

Good Point. What is a good model of Hickok?
"Chuck Harris" wrote in message
.. .
Jump'n Jack Flash wrote:
[...]

Get yourself a tv-7 series...military. They are on Ebay quite often.

KE4ODD

It’s Christianity vs. Islam. Let’s get this party started!

Chuck Harris May 14th 06 01:31 PM

Tube tester

My favorite would be the 539C. It is well sought after, so the prices
tend to be high. The 539 A and B are great too, just older. The 750,
and 752 are nice too, as is the 600.

For a complete list with some history, try:

http://6007.us/

-Chuck Harris