Old May 29th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
gkb

Default Hallicrafters Repro Paint

I did look an nothing came even close. I was doing a COMPLETE restoration on
this radio and wanted to do it as right as possible. Now all I have to do is
the white lettering using an ALPS printer and white lettering.

--
Regards,
Gary...WZ1M
"Ron" wrote in message
I have always found an off the shelf paint that will match or come so
close for every Hallicrafters that I have ever restored. Look before
you spend your money you might be surprised. As someone stated
Hallicrafters never used the same shade of paint twice it seems.

Ron WA0KDS

gkb wrote:
I do all my needed radios with matched paint. Sometimes its not cheap.

For
instance, Hallicrafters SX-71 front panel and lower cabinet paint is

$47.00
for a pint.

Old May 29th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Al Parker

Hi Jim,
I've seen/heard most of the comments so far before. Here's my
solution, well tested by me and others. I have repainted several SX-101,
SX-115, and HT-32 cabinets, most needed it. They definitely looked much
better when done, and several other boatanchor guys have seen them and
agree they are a very good match to whatever was new. New varied by month
and year, so what it was 40-50 yrs ago is anyone's guess.
For the cabinet, I use Rustoleum V7777 Satin Black. It's great for
these units, and Drake 4-line cabinets.
For the perforated lid, I use Duplicolor Truck and Van Paint #T 229
Silver M. I think there may be a later no. now used for the same stuff,
and there is another mfgr with one almost as good, would have to search
for both no.s.
There are techniques for helping the finish come out best, drop me a
note & I'll dig up some info I've had luck with.
73,
Al, W8UT
New Bern, NC
BoatAnchors appreciated here
http://www.boatanchors.org
http://www.hammarlund.info

"Jim Barnard" wrote in message
I have a nice working SX-101 receiver that I would like to refinish.

Does
anyone know if there is after market Hallicrafters paint available?