Old June 25th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Jim Barnard

Default Hallicrafters SX-101A Restoration Question

I am in the processing of restoring a Hallicrafters SX-101A model MKIIIA.

The big black dial bezel on this radio has a smooth flat black finish. I all
the pictures that I have examined on the Internet, the bezel has a black
wrinkled finish. In disassembling the bezel from the front panel, it looks
like this was original because none of green painted on "screw seals"
appeared disturbed.

Is this correct for this model or has someone done a masterful refinishing
job at some point in the past?

Thanks for any suggestions/comments.

Jim

Old June 26th 06, 05:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
COLIN LAMB

Hi:

I had a SX-101 IIIA and it was flat black.

73,

Colin K7FM

Old June 28th 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Roger

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 14:13:56 -0400, "Jim Barnard"
wrote:

I am in the processing of restoring a Hallicrafters SX-101A model MKIIIA.

The big black dial bezel on this radio has a smooth flat black finish. I all
the pictures that I have examined on the Internet, the bezel has a black
wrinkled finish. In disassembling the bezel from the front panel, it looks
like this was original because none of green painted on "screw seals"
appeared disturbed.

Is this correct for this model or has someone done a masterful refinishing
job at some point in the past?

Early models of the 101 including the straight 101 had a flat black
bezel. Only the later models had the crinkle finish.
I'd have to go out and look but as I recall the 101A and the MKIII
have a number of differences including the bezel finish, frequency
coverage, and main tuning knob.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com