Old July 24th 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Small Coaxial Cable Labels?

Barry wrote:

I just make some paper labels using my word processor program, and print

them on
my laser printer. I wrap them around the wire, and slip a piece of clear

heat
shrink tubing over the label.

Note, pick a font that is readable on the size wire you are labeling.

-Chuck Harris

I'm wondering about the lifespan of paper labels. I suppose the laser print
will not fade as easily as color jet print, but I'm thinking the label
itself doesn't hold up well over time. Perhaps sealing it under shrink
tubing helps with this. I was hoping to find someone who makes these in
some sort of plastic, teflon, etc. The one I replace on this R390A is
probably over 30 years old and still very clear.

I have plenty of laser printed documents that are well older than 20 years,
and they are as clear and crisp as the day they were printed. The toner is
a fused plastic/carbon compound. It will not fade in your lifetime. Paper
can be had in all varieties and grades. Even if you buy the cheapest copier
paper it will last for your lifetime under a piece of clear heat shrink tubing.

I have delivered labels made this way to the US Army on equipment I have built
for them.

-Chuck Harris
Old July 24th 06, 05:42 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Barry wrote:
"Chuck Harris" wrote in message
Barry wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get some small labels made for some coaxial
cables? Specifically, I'm looking for something that will wrap around a
0.085" OD coax. I'm thinking these are made somewhere, but not sure

where
to look.

I'm restoring some of the interconnecting cables in an R390A and not

sure if
I can fit the old, metal ones back onto the new coax. One of them had a
yellow label that slipped off the old coax rather easily. I slipped it

on
the new coax and secured it with some clear heat-shrink tubing. I'd

like to
do the same for the other cables.

Thanks,

Barry - N4BUQ

I just make some paper labels using my word processor program, and print

them on
my laser printer. I wrap them around the wire, and slip a piece of clear

heat
shrink tubing over the label.

Note, pick a font that is readable on the size wire you are labeling.

-Chuck Harris

I'm wondering about the lifespan of paper labels. I suppose the laser print
will not fade as easily as color jet print, but I'm thinking the label
itself doesn't hold up well over time. Perhaps sealing it under shrink
tubing helps with this. I was hoping to find someone who makes these in
some sort of plastic, teflon, etc. The one I replace on this R390A is
probably over 30 years old and still very clear.

Barry - N4BUQ

You old farts planning to live that long?? grin
Gizmotski.
Old July 24th 06, 12:20 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

I use the Brother "P-Touch", Model PT-1400 label maker, available from
Staples or Office Depot. Its not too expensive and has a variety of
label materials. Although they appear to stay put on coax (RG-58, 214,
et al)alone, I do use the clear shrink tubing retention method. I got
the cue from a Telco installation team at one of our commo sites. They
stuck them on and they're still there, a year or so later. de K3HVG

Dymo RhinoPro 5000
http://www.hgtvpro.com/hpro/np_edito...841663,00.html

they have other models

Old July 24th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Chuck Harris wrote:

I just make some paper labels using my word processor program, and print them on
my laser printer. I wrap them around the wire, and slip a piece of clear heat
shrink tubing over the label.

I've done the same thing, except the labels were handwritten (block
letters, obviously).

Was a trick I learned from a radio station engineer I used to ride with
back in my mid-teenage years.

This method certainly looks more professional than tags hanging from
the cable - or even those little digit strips that you'd wrap around
the wire to make up a code. Anyone remember THAT???? UGH!

--
Stephanie Weil
New York City, NY

Old July 24th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
BH BH is offline

Barry wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get some small labels made for some coaxial
cables? Specifically, I'm looking for something that will wrap around a
0.085" OD coax. I'm thinking these are made somewhere, but not sure where
to look.

I'm restoring some of the interconnecting cables in an R390A and not sure if
I can fit the old, metal ones back onto the new coax. One of them had a
yellow label that slipped off the old coax rather easily. I slipped it on
the new coax and secured it with some clear heat-shrink tubing. I'd like to
do the same for the other cables.

Thanks,

Barry - N4BUQ

Find who does High End custom residential audio or home theater in your
city. The better ones all have cable label machines.

Bruce