Old December 6th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

Default LPFM and the New Congress

michaelmuller wrote:
What are the chances that the new congress will relax restrictions on
third adjacents any time soon?

I doubt it, and I sure hope not.

The bands are already much too crowded, and third adjacent IS still a big
issue, especially with crappy radios in urban areas.

What I would LIKE to see is the FCC start shutting down stations that aren't
operating in the public interest and the return of the duopoly laws. This
is unlikely, but would do far more to help LPFM than anything else.

Reducing technical standards in an attempt to shoehorn more stations into
existing space just isn't going to work... you cannot fight the physics.
If you want to have more small stations, you're going to have to start
shutting down some of the big ones. And that's something the FCC has been
much too reluctant to do in my opinion. Does your city really need a
seventh oldies station?
--scott