Old February 22nd 07, 11:50 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

Default Setting up a radio station - Novice inquiry

I live in a small town in the mountains of western Montana. My town has
about 1000 people. There are a couple of other towns within a 30 mile area,
but our nearest big communities with radio transmission are Missoula, 80
miles away, Great Falls at 90 miles away, and Helena about 50 miles away,
but on the other side of the continental divide. On good weather days we
might get two good stations and some days we don't get any.

So would anybody like to give me some ideas on what it would cost to put a
radio station in that people could hear within a 2-5 mile area of the
transmitter? I'd like to use it to relieve community boredom, as a tool to
teach and give kids a way to express themselves, and finally, local issue
community awareness talk radio.

Since we are a poor community it would be non-profit regardless of the type
of license. LOL! And of course, used equipment would be preferable to new.
I also know nothing of the F.C.C.'s regulations.

If you have the time I would appreciate some constructive input.

Thanks