Old April 1st 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

Default Is this how radio shows are started? Questions about VoiceAmerica

To make a long story short, a producer that has previously set up
shows for VoiceAmerica (http://www.voiceamerica.com/) has pitched them
a sports show for their upcoming sports channel. The show would be
hosted by me and is an interview show. The producer has already lined
up one sponsor for the show but he needs to get at least another one
to make it a go. If the producer gets sponsors to cover 25% of the
production cost, VoiceAmerica will cover the remaining 75%. I am not
being asked to give them money or get a sponsor. That's the
producer's job. The producer did ask if I knew of a potential sponsor
but when I said I didn't, he went ahead and got the first one. If I
did pay money to get the show off the ground, VoiceAmerica would pay
me back all such money with future ad revenue. I have no interest to
paying anything to VoiceAmerica so if the producer can get and
additional one or more sponsors, the show will be a go. As the show's
host, I would own all rights. Even odder is that I would not get paid
for hosting but receive 50% of all ad revenue brought in by the show.

Another odd thing is that VoiceAmerica apparently will not cover
travel expenses incurred by the show. That would come out of my
pocket. But to do my show, I would need to travel to do the
interviews in which the show would specialize. I told the producer I
wouldn't eat this cost. He said VoiceAmerica wouldn't either. I said
then I will not do the show. He did give me a bit of a song and dance
on how much producing a show costs VoiceAmerica, but I pointed out how
much travel expenses would cost. But when I again said I wouldn't eat
the travel expenses, the producer said he'll talk to other producers
and see if something can be worked out.

I am curious to know if the above is basically how radio shows are
started. The producer said this was the case with all broadcast and
Internet radio shows. That seems real odd to me. Very odd. But
maybe I'm wrong. Am I? If you know how radio shows are started up,
please tell all.

Thanks in advance!

Scott