Old March 6th 08, 05:23 AM
Senior Member

Location: san francisco, ca
Default AM 1680 identification difficulty (northern california)

I'm in Northern California and I'm using an Eton E5 with no external antennas. I'm trying to identify an English language station on 1680 kHz. It is a weak signal with some fading. The station is playing hits from the 1960s and 1970s ("Yesterday" by the Beatles and "The Gambler" by Kenny Rogers as examples). At the top of the hour, the part of the identification that I understood was "right here on legends 1680, KGED, fresno." I am unsure about the callsign and the city; those are my best guesses. Fresno has (or had?) a Radio Disney station on 1680 with the callsign KAVT.

This station also periodically announces "the all-new (inaudible)". Just now I heard a clear quote, "You're listening to the home of America's best music." Google searches for these phrases have not turned up a positive id yet. It looks like a few stations use the "America's best music" slogan.

I'll probably have to stick with this signal for a while in order to confirm the identification. I also checked the FCC am query page for all registered stations on 1680 with a callsign starting with K. There are only three stations, and none seem to match my guess at the callsign (KGED). Anyone have more info on this signal?
__________________
weatherall :: http://cobaltpet.blogspot.com/
Old November 29th 08, 12:54 AM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherall View Post
I'm in Northern California and I'm using an Eton E5 with no external antennas. I'm trying to identify an English language station on 1680 kHz.
Probably
http://www.legends1680.com/

Legends 1680 out of Fresno. According to radio-locator
http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin...GED&service=AM
It's still KGED but the website doesn't use any call sign letters.

I hope this helps.