Old February 15th 10, 07:14 AM posted to ba.broadcast.moderated,rec.radio.broadcasting

Default Keep CALM

[cross-poste to and followups set to rec.radio.broadcasting, since
my comments aren't related to the Bay Area.]

In article ,
Phil Kane wrote:

At this past week's SBE Chapter meeting, the presenter (Orban's
National Sales Manager) led a small discussion about Rep. Eshoo's CALM
bill which will dump the issue of regulating advertising loudness onto
the FCC to solve. ("We Fought the Law and the Law Won")

(Why do I hear the strains of "Dream the Impossible Dream" from "Man
of La Mancha" in the background? How does one herd cats?)

With professional cat herders, of course:

http://creativity-online.com/work/eds-cat-herders/13811

I noted in the discussion that the bill only covered TV and Cable and
Satellite, and not radio. Just like the OTARD act, someone dropped
the ball.

Hmmm, if it's been a problem on radio, it's been rare. Most of the
problems I've heard on TV have been from inserts--e.g. DirecTV inserting
a spot into a local slot on BBC America or Comcast on CNN. Since radio
stations mostly have local programming, they aren't mixing different
feeds. (Okay, I don't listen to many syndicated shows, so maybe it's
a problem with those. Although I do listen to some on weekends and
haven't heard problems.)

Phil, have you heard really obvious audio-level changes with radio
spots?

Patty