Old March 15th 10, 05:17 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

Default Don Kent, WBZ weatherman

Anyone who lived in Eastern Massachusetts in the last half of the
twentieth century probably listened to, or watched, Don Kent.
I recently learned that he died a week or so ago, at 92. WBZ put up a
nice retrospective for him:
http://www.wbz.com/topnews/Don-Kent-dies-at-92/6477378

I lived in that part of the world for about half that period, and have
my own memories of Kent and his forecasting. I remember, in particular,
the 1978 February snowstorm, which he called to a T. He said it was
going to be bad, and while I went to work that day, I didn't wait too
long after the snow started to head for home. 30 miles on back roads,
but I got home---more than the people who waited and took the major
highways did.

And, a couple of years later, a group of us had jobs that were long
commutes by car, but the work location was right on an airport, and we
had airplanes, so commuted by air when we could. We got daily weather
briefings from the official sources, but also listened to Kent. I can't
remember now which source was more often right, but Kent could read the
weather by looking out the window and knowing what the wind was on Mt.
Washington about as well as the Gov't pros could with all their met
data.

Kent retired a few years later---from WBZ---but was forecasting for
local stations until about five years ago. That was nearly sixty years.

So, another legend is gone.

Hank

Old March 19th 10, 05:54 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

,
[...]

..

So, another legend is gone.

Hank

Thanks for this. I remember Don on 'BZ from the time I was a wee lad
in the early 1960's. My dad, who worked outdoors, used to cuss him
out for being wrong, but he watched Don Kent religiously every morning
and evening. He was a member of our family. RIP Don.

Bruce Jensen

FA: ATWATER-KENT MOD #32 + STUFF Heytubeguy Boatanchors 0 January 25th 08 09:16 PM
FA: ATWATER-KENT MOD #32 + STUFF Heytubeguy Equipment 0 January 25th 08 09:16 PM
FAl ATWATJER-KENT MOD #32 + STUFF Heytubeguy Homebrew 0 January 25th 08 09:16 PM
Kent SP-1 Paddle Handset King General 0 September 21st 03 05:00 PM
Kent SP-1 Paddle Handset King General 0 September 21st 03 05:00 PM