Old April 9th 10, 03:44 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

Default Endangered Classical Format

John Higdon had written:

| I actually found KBAY to be a foreground station. It played original
| popular hits as well as selected covers. It dipped into KKSF territory
| with pop jazz pieces. It even played an occasional show tune. It was
| borderline eclectic.

Perhaps a little less eclectic, but something more than a
background music station was the old KCFM in St. Louis up until the
late 1970s. It managed to hold its own for a while against KEZK,
which was on the old KDNA, and AM station WRTH.

Around 1978, KCFM went to what we would now call a AAA format,
calling itself "The Natural Sound." While moderately successful,
and quite beloved of some people even to this day, the station's
founder decided to retire and sold to Gannett. Gannett, which
ruined almost every radio station it ever touched, promptly
switched it back to a beautiful-music format, this time much more
formulaic and a lot less interesting. It bombed.

Classical KFUO-FM was, at the time, still running tapes from
Parkway.

--
Mark Roberts - E-Mail address is valid but I don't use Google Groups
If you quote, please quote only relevant passages and not the whole article.

Old April 9th 10, 03:45 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

Art Clemons had written:

| Actually in general, the commercial classical stations were making money by
| attracting advertisers who wanted access to the classical audience. That
| being said, what really happened in places like Philadelphia was that
| station owners could get really high offers for the station and opted to
| sell. The format likely could have continued earning some rate of return
| indefinitely in most of those same markets.

That's what happened with the Florians' WNIB in Chicago, and
relatively late, too. Obie Yadgar, who was the morning announcer,
went back to Milwaukee but, as I understand it, no longer is on the
air. There just isn't much demand for classical announcers.

Old April 9th 10, 04:53 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

Default Tight playlists (was Endangered Classical Format)

Amid this discussion of how broad station playlists are, I was in
a cafe yesterday picking up a sandwich for lunch when I heard the
Eagles' "I Can't Tell You Why." I immediately recognized it as one
of the songs that KYUU (KNBR's FM sister station in San Francisco)
was playing when I worked there in the summer of 1980. I counted
the carts once and figured there were about 400 songs in rotation.
Even in those few months, I heard each of them so many times that
they now jump out at me 30 years later as being "KYUU songs." :-)

Patty

Old April 9th 10, 10:28 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

In article ,
Patty Winter wrote:

Amid this discussion of how broad station playlists are, I was in
a cafe yesterday picking up a sandwich for lunch when I heard the
Eagles' "I Can't Tell You Why." I immediately recognized it as one
of the songs that KYUU (KNBR's FM sister station in San Francisco)
was playing when I worked there in the summer of 1980. I counted
the carts once and figured there were about 400 songs in rotation.
Even in those few months, I heard each of them so many times that
they now jump out at me 30 years later as being "KYUU songs." :-)

When ARS took over the original KBAY, they gutted the format. It turned
into ARS' version of a KOIT sound-alike. The playlist was tightened to
less than a couple hundred songs, which of course were played over and
over.

That was in the mid-nineties. To this day, when I hear ANY of those
songs, I cringe inside, recalling the corporate destruction of the
station where I had worked for twenty-three years.

--
John Higdon
+1 408 ANdrews 6-4400

Old April 9th 10, 10:29 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

Patty Winter wrote:

of the songs that KYUU (KNBR's FM sister station in San Francisco)
was playing when I worked there in the summer of 1980. I counted
the carts once and figured there were about 400 songs in rotation.
Even in those few months, I heard each of them so many times that
they now jump out at me 30 years later as being "KYUU songs." :-)

And KYUU was a very popular station at the time. So, 400 songs is about 30
hours of music without repeats, though most playlists repeat some songs more
than others.

It goes back to that mythical waitress in the 1950s playing the same 5 songs
from the 200 selection jukebox that was the supposed inspiration for Storz top
40 format.

Old April 10th 10, 02:16 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 17:28:55 EDT, John Higdon wrote:

When ARS took over the original KBAY, they gutted the format. It turned
into ARS' version of a KOIT sound-alike. The playlist was tightened to
less than a couple hundred songs, which of course were played over and
over.

And of course, 200 songs is the opposite extreme, and would be
considered by almost any music programmer, except those aiming at
teens, to be too small a list.

As discussed elsewhere, 400-500 songs is a sweet spot for most
commercial formats, and some of those songs will be heard more often
than others. There will also be some rotating in and out of such a
list. But the key thing is, they will ALL be hit songs among the
station's target audience.

Mark Howell

Old April 28th 10, 05:18 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

In article ,
Jim wrote:
Another commercial classical FM flips to noncom.

Now Seattle's KING-FM (98.1) is
laying the groundwork to end more than half a century of commercial
classical radio in the Puget Sound area.

There was a mention of KING in an article about classical-music
public-radio stations in yesterday's NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/26/bu...a/26radio.html

Most of the article is about, no surprise, WNYC. But a few other
stations are also discussed.

Patty