Old January 22nd 16, 12:11 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.info

Default RadioInsight for Thursday 21 January 2016

RadioInsight

Wheeler Launches New Sports Station In Roanoke

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...on-in-roanoke/

Mel Wheeler Inc. launched a new Sports station in Roanoke and Lynchburg VA
this morning on three signals. The new Sports Radio will be heard on 610
WPLY Roanoke, 97.3 W247AD Roanoke and 98.5 W253BT Madison
Heights/Lynchburg. The stations programming will come from Fox Sports Radio
with the exception of afternoon drive where they will air Colin Cowherd on
three-hour delay from 3-6pm rather than Jay Mohr. 610 WPLY had been WVBE
simulcasting Urban AC The Vibe 97.7/100.1 WVBB-FM
Elliston-Lafayette/WVBE-FM Lynchburg.

Planet Moving In Jacksonville

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...-jacksonville/

iHeartMedia Active Rock 106.9 Planet Radio W295AZ Jacksonville
Beach/WKSL-HD2 Neptune Beach FL has announced it will move to 97.3 on
Friday, January 22. 97.3 W247CF Orange Park will be the new home for the
Active Rock programming. The Delmarva Educational Association owned
translator is licensed to operate with 99 watts at 274 meters (Coverage
Map), giving it a slight coverage edge over the 106.9 signal. As we
reported earlier this week in our Daily Domains report, iHeart registered
973PlanetRadio.com for the station as well as two domains for a new format
on 106.9. 97.3 will become the fourth frequency in the Jacksonville market
to host the Planet Radio brand. The station launched on 93.3 WPLA in 1995
and remained there until it moved to 107.3 in 2005. After that station
flipped to Classic Hits in 2010, the brand was resurrected on the 106.9
translator in July 2013.

The Current To Debut in Duluth

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...but-in-duluth/

Minnesota Public Radio will extend its AAA The Current brand into Duluth on
Monday, February 1. MPR purchased 90.9 W215CG Duluth from Family Stations
last summer for $45,000 and just completed the upgrade of the translator to
99 watts at 207 meters (Coverage Map). The translator will rebroadcast MPRs
100.5 WSCN-HD2 starting at 9:09am on February 1. The station will mostly
rebroadcast flagship 89.3 KCMP Minneapolis with the exception of a local
music show on weekends to start. The Current programming is also heard on
translators in eight other Minnesota cities. Cementing its strong
relationship with the areas music scene and its countless fans from Duluth
to points north and east, The Current will broadcast on 90.9 FM and 100.5
WSCN HD-2, beginning Monday, Feb. 1. The Current has always had a special
relationship with Duluth; its vibrant music scene and the community of
music-loving fans, said Jim McGuinn, program director for The Current.
Duluth is at the center of northern Minnesotas burgeoning music scene, and
we want to support what makes the music community thrive, whether it means
giving a band their first spin on the radio, promoting their first gig, or
helping spread the word for their first tour. Our listeners have told us
for years they wanted The Current in Duluth, said Patty Mester, MPRs Duluth
regional manager. We are thrilled that we are finally able to provide The
Current to our Twin Ports audiences. In addition, The Current will hire a
Duluth-based radio personality who will host a weekly Duluth Local Music
show with the opportunity to create additional programming specific to the
region. This position will play a key role in connecting and collaborating
with the music community, creating deep relationships with artists, venues
and community leaders. Funding for the Duluth Local Music show and its host
are made possible by the Minnesota Legacy Amendments Arts and Cultural
Heritage Fund. Interested individuals can apply at
americanpublicmedia.org/careers. The deadline to apply is Sunday, Feb. 14.
Since the stations launch in 2005, weve supported the area artists like
Low, Trampled by Turtles, Charlie Parr, Southwire, Tin Can Gin, Actual
Wolf, Red Mountain, and Sarah Krueger, said Lindsay Kimball, assistant
program director for The Current. And now, with a presence on the dial in
Duluth and the hiring of a Duluth host, well be even better positioned to
discover the next generation of artists coming out of Duluth, the North
Shore and the Iron Range.

Causes And Effects Of iHeart's Seattle Shuffle

https://radioinsight.com/blog/blogs/...attle-shuffle/

The four station format shuffle that iHeartMedia pulled off yesterday may
have caught many off-guard but the pieces started coming together over six
years ago. In 2009, then Clear Channel rounded out their Seattle cluster
with the acquisition of CHR Kiss 106.1 KBKS Tacoma/Seattle as part of a
seven station swap with CBS Radio. That deal at the time gave Clear Channel
full control of the younger demographics in the market as KBKS joined
Rhythmic CHR 93.3 KUBE in their holdings. That monopoly ended up leading to
the demise of both stations as they were known. In 2010, Sandusky (now part
of Hubbard) flipped Movin 92.5 KQMV to Rhythmic leaning CHR and the station
quickly became not just the dominant CHR in the market, but the dominant
station in the market. In the last Nielsen Audio ratings released before
the flips yesterday, KQMV was leading the Seattle market with a 6+ share of
7.4 and second in Cume to its Christmas music aided sister AC Warm 106.9
KRWM. The rise of KQMV first pulled the younger demographics from both
stations. They were then hit with the August 2013 launch of Rhythmic Hot AC
Hot 103.7 by Entercom. That station attacked the upper end of KUBE leaving
it vulnerable on both ends. Which brings us to what iHeart pulled off
yesterday. With KQMV becoming the dominant player in the market and the
KUBE and KBKS brands weakened in recent years, instead of trying to fix the
problems with KUBE particularly iHeart went for the nuclear solution
blowing up 4 of the 6 stations in its Seattle operations in some form.
Power 93.3 places a new Top 40 brand on the adjacent signal to 92.5 for
those listeners that still utilize the seek button in their car. Power is
matching Movin by bringing in an airstaff that will be based locally but
also much younger than the hosts on that station. Former Elvis Duran Show
members Carla Marie and Anthony in mornings, middayer Kat Fisher and newly
announced afternoon host Kwame Dankwa are all in their twenties. The
upstart KQMV is now the established power and iHeartMedia is going to
attack them the same way Movin hurt KUBE and KBKS. KBKS still has an
established morning show led by Bender Cunningham who has been on the
station since 2001. By shifting the station to Hot AC it keeps it around as
a flanker to Power to go after KQMVs older demographics as well as going
further after Hubbard Modern AC Click 98.9 KLCK, Sinclairs Star 101.5 KPLZ
and KHTP. Kiss-FM no longer needs to dominate in 18-34 or 25-54, but rather
just be a solid performer in-between Power 93.3 and sister Classic Hits
95.7 The Jet KJR-FM. The other two FMs involved in the shuffle are rimshots
that only reach the southern end of the market. The elimination of Hot AC
Now 102.9 KYNW was necessitated by the shift of KBKS to that format.
Eliminating Boobs Based Active Rock 104.9 The Brew KKBWs 0.3 share for a
more accessible Alternative format on 102.9 should help grow the formats
share and attack some shares from Entercoms 107.7 The End KNDD. iHeart will
also utilize the resources of former KNDD PD Mike Kaplan and afternoon host
Harms who both work for the company in Los Angeles. The odd move is the
repositioning of KUBE as a Tacoma based station on 104.9. The stations
signal barely reaches Tacoma (Coverage Map), but comes across as the
company hedging its bets and keeping the strong KUBE brand heritage alive.
Retaining two local on-air personalities for the station is a nice sign of
support, but in reality this station will be struggling to generate a 0.5
share and it will likely be a matter of time before more syndicated or
premium choice content is plugged in or the stations moves in yet another
direction. Which brings us to how iHeart handled the moves yesterday. The
company s intents to keep most of the moves secret worked out as the domain
registrations outside of Alt1029.com were not made until after the launch.
Everything else surrounded by the launches on the digital and on-air side
was not done as smoothly. Station websites began showing the new logos an
hour before the flips took place. The launch of Power 93.3 made no
reference to KUBEs move to a new frequency as the station went into a
stopset promoting KUBEs 12pm programming feature and out of it with a new
format, nor has any mention of the move been made in the 24 hours since on
social media. In fact iHeart didnt claim all the new brands quick enough
leading to KQMV making posts like this: Other stations might move around,
but theres only one @MOViN925! MOViN 92.5 (@KUBE1049) January 19, 2016
Great, relevant content! https://t.co/OHOOyWshKN MOViN 92.5 (@KUBE1049)
January 20, 2016 KUBEs Facebook page has only made one generic post since
the move, yet while bombarded with listener comments about it has not made
any statement on where to listen failing to promote 104.9 or the
iHeartRadio app. On the Alt 102.9 Facebook page, the new midday host for
the station who had been heard on The Brew is telling a listener that the
station may not sound the same in 10 days or 10 weeks. What a great way to
instill confidence in a new brand to listeners let alone advertisers!
Personally, I wouldve stunted on 93.3 over the three day Martin Luther King
holiday weekend to generate attention. Find something that wouldve gained
local attention to the heritage KUBE brand promoting the next evolution of
the station to come on Tuesday at 12pm. At that time announce that KUBE has
moved to Tacoma on 104.9 and introduce Power 93.3 to a market that has been
now been told to expect something. Instead the moves were made with a
whimper and the stations will need to work extra harder to generate
attention.

Cumulus Promotes Two In DC

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...tes-two-in-dc/

Cumulus Media has filled its long-vacant Market Manager position in
Washington DC. Jake McCann has been promoted to the VP/Market Manager
position from his role as Vice President of Sales for the cluster. McCann
replaces Mark OBrien whose contract expired at the end of February 2015 and
later joined CBS Radio as VP of political sales. Concurrently with McCanns
promotion, Beth Cohen is promoted from Director of Sales to Vice President
of Sales for the cluster. She previously worked in the market as General
Sales Manager for iHeartMedia Washington. Cumulus Media announces that it
has promoted Jake McCann to Vice President/Market Manager for Cumulus
Washington, D.C.Â*McCann was formerly Vice President, Sales for Cumulus
Washington, D.C.Â*Prior to that, he was Director of Sales for Greater Media
in Detroit. Concurrently, Cumulus announces that it has promoted Beth Cohen
to Vice President, Sales for Cumulus Washington, D.C. Cohen was formerly
Director of Sales for Cumulus’ D.C. stations. Prior to joining Cumulus, she
was General Sales Manager for iHeart Media in Washington, D.C. for many
years. Gary Pizzati, Senior Vice President for Cumulus Media said: “Jake
McCann and Beth Cohen are the leadership team needed to achieve our goals
in D.C. In the past year, they’ve accomplished that and more.Â*Both
promotions are well deserved. We look forward to their continued
contributions as they advance the growth trajectory of Cumulus D.C.” McCann
said: “I’m inspired and motivated by Mary Berner’s leadership and vision
for the future of Cumulus. Thank you to Gary Pizzati for his coaching,
support and belief as Beth Cohen and I continue to be the “FORCE” in
Washington, D.C., leading WMAL and WRQX, two powerful stations in one of
the most influential markets in the country.” Cohen said: “Since joining
Cumulus I have had the privilege to work with some of the best talent in
the business including Gary Pizzati, Jake McCann and all my colleagues at
Cumulus DC.Â*In my new role, I look forward to continue leading our sales
team to new levels, to building on the momentum we ignited over the past 15
months, and most importantly, to providing clients with superior marketing
results with the iconic brands of Mix107.3 and WMAL.”

Dave & Chuck The Freak Sign Multi-Year Extension With WRIF

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...ion-with-wrif/

Greater Media Rock 101.1 WRIF Detroit have signed morning hosts Dave and
Chuck The Freak to a multi-year contract extension. Dave Hunter, Chuck “The
Freak” Urquhart and Lisa Way joined WRIF in May 2013 from Bell Media
Alternative 89X 88.7 CIMX Windsor ON to replace Drew Lane and Mike Clark.
Greater Media announces radio morning personalities Dave Chuck the Freak
have signed a new multi-year contract with WRIF-FM in Detroit. The new pact
ensures the Motor City’s top rated morning show will remain on the station.
The duo has held wake-up duties at the station since May of 2013. No
strangers to the Detroit airwaves, Dave and Chuck the Freak, along with
Lisa Way, have spent over a decade working together at WRIF-FM and “across
the border” in Windsor, Ontario. The show continues to incorporate heavy
listener interaction, both live on the air and through the use of social
media. “We are thrilled to be continuing our journey here at the legendary
WRIF,” said Dave Hunter. “With an incredible team and support staff, it has
been unbelievable to watch the show grow so much since weve started here.”
“The continued consistent success of the Dave Chuck the Freak morning show
is truly phenomenal,” said Greater Media Detroit Vice President and Market
Manager Steve Chessare. “Their dedication and commitment to our listeners,
advertisers and community is a shining example of the power of live and
local radio. We are honored to have them in the Greater Media family.” The
six member team of the Dave Chuck the Freak Morning Show anchor one of
America’s most successful rock radio stations. WRIF-FM recently marked 44
years in the rock radio format in Detroit.

Emmis And Big Boy Come To Legal Settlement

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...-with-big-boy/

Emmis and Kurt Big Boy Alexander have reportedly come to terms on a
settlement of their legal matters connected to Alexanders jump to
iHeartMedias Real 92.3 KRRL Los Angeles last year. TMZ reports that terms
of the settlement are confidential with both sides paying their own legal
fees. The loss of Alexander to the newly launched competitor to Emmis Power
106 KPWR has had a significant impact on Emmis bottom-line. The company
reported 5.1% declines in revenue in the third quarter of 2015 and laid of
32 employees to make up the difference. Update 3/4/15: With the legal
injunction out of the way, iHeartMedia has announced that Big Boy will
debut on Real 92.3 KRRL on Monday, March 9. Update 3/3: At todays hearing
Emmis was denied an injunction keeping Kurt Big Boy Alexander from joining
iHeartMedias Real 92.3 KRRL until the completion of a trial. The court did
agree that Emmis is potentially due damages from Alexander and iHeart,
which will be settled in court barring a preliminary settlement. While Big
Boy is now free and clear to join iHeart, a start date has not been
announced. Emmis released the following statement following the ruling,
While Emmis is disappointed with the Courts ruling and will evaluate our
legal options, we are pleased with the Courts indication that damages are
an available remedy at trial. Emmis remains resolute in continuing to
protect our legal rights and committed to the continued success of Power
106. Update 2/11: Emmis has won a temporary restraining order to keep Big
Boy from jumping to iHeartMedias Real 92.3 until a hearing on Tuesday,
March 3. At that time the Court will determine whether a longer injunction
is necessary through the completion of a trial. Emmis has released a
comment stating, We are pleased with the Court’s ruling, and look forward
to continuing to make our case to protect Emmis and our rights under our
employment agreement with Big Boy. Update 2/3 10:15pm: Emmis has issued a
statement stating it is suing Big Boy for breach of contract. Emmis is
seeking millions in damages and injuctions preventing Big Boy, real name
Kurt Alexander, from joining iHeartMedia. The suit claims that Alexander
came to Emmis on January 16th with a $3.5 million contract offer from
iHeart as he had a 60 day window to solicit offers with Emmis having the
right to match, which they claim they did but Alexander deciding to take
the rival offer instead breaching his deal. Emmis Radio, LLC, a subsidiary
of Emmis Communications Corporation (Nasdaq: EMMS), today filed suit
against Kurt Alexander, also known as “Big Boy” on its Power 106 Los
Angeles radio station KPWR-FM, for breach of contract. Emmis is seeking a
preliminary and permanent injunction to prevent the long-time media
personality and host of its morning show from moving to competitor
iHeartMedia, Inc. in addition to millions of dollars in damages. Emmis
first discovered Alexander, 45, working as a body guard more than 20 years
ago, and has invested substantially over the years in helping him develop
into the star that he is today. Emmis’ complaint, filed in Superior Court
for the State of California, County of Los Angeles, Central District,
asserts that Alexander, who remains under contract to Emmis through
February 28, 2015, breached his employment agreement by failing to honor
its “right of first refusal” provision to match an offer from an Emmis
competitor. Under the terms of Alexander’s employment agreement, he
specifically agreed that if he received an offer from an Emmis competitor –
and Emmis agreed to provide employment on terms “substantially similar” to
the competitor – Alexander would enter into a new and exclusive employment
agreement with Emmis, and would not move to a competitor radio station.
Despite acknowledging Emmis’ matching offer, Alexander turned his back on
his radio home of more than 20 years and plans to move to a Los
Angeles-area radio station operated by iHeartMedia, which would immediately
launch a new format as a director competitor to Emmis. “Big Boy has been a
beloved member of the Emmis family for more than two decades, and we are
particularly dismayed by his breach after we agreed to meet the iHeart
terms,” said Jeff Smulyan, chairman, president and chief executive officer
of Emmis Communications. “I am personally saddened by his actions and the
impact they will have on our brand and our people.” Original Report 2/3
8:50pm:Morning host Big Boy is off the air at Emmis Urban Power 106 KPWR
Los Angeles as his contract is about to expire. Could a jump across the
street to iHeartMedia bring back The Beat brand to the market? Anonymous
registration for 923TheBeatLA.com was made last Friday and associated
social media accounts have been reserved. Currently Rhythmic Oldies Hot
92.3 KHHT, the station was known as The Beat from 1989 until 1999 when the
brand moved to 100.3, where it would remain until 2006. In a statement
regarding the whereabouts of Big Boy, Emmis told AllAccess, EMMIS
COMMUNICATIONS is in contract negotiations with BIG BOY, host of BIG BOY’S
NEIGHBORHOOD on POWER 106 FM LOS ANGELES. Our contract with BIG BOY does
not expire until FEBRUARY 28th, 2015, and we hope to successfully resolve
our talks by that time. In the interim, J. CRUZ will be hosting the morning
show. Up until now the former bodyguard has spent his entire radio career
at KPWR, working his way up from nights to afternoons and since 1997 has
been a fixture in mornings. KPWR is currently ranked sixth in the Nielsen
Audio ratings with a 3.8 share. KHHT is 14th overall with a 2.5.

WAVW Expands Into Palm Beaches

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...-palm-beaches/

iHeartMedia Country Wave 92.7 WAVW Stuart/Port St. Lucie FL has added a
Palm Beach area simulcast on 93.3 W227CX North Palm Beach. The move gives
an in-market competitor to Digitys 103.1 WIRK Indiantown while expanding
WAVWs presence into the larger market. The 132 watt translator covers the
area in-between West Palm Beach and Jupiter, but not the entire West Palm
Beach market (Coverage Map). INSTANT INSIGHT: Itl be interesting to see if
JVC Medias 93.5 The Bar WBGF Belle Glade makes an attempt to have W227CX
displaced as it will block out the rimshot signal on the adjacent channel.
WBGF targets its programming at the West Palm Beach area despite not
putting a 60dBu signal over the populated areas of the market (Coverage
Map).