Old March 15th 16, 12:33 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,ba.broadcast

Default P connectors?

Does anyone (else) remember the P connector? It was a predecessor to the
XL/XLR and was about an inch across with three pins on a right, not
equilateral, triangle. In the '70s I saw some in a 1930's school theater
(Pasadena CA) and a couple of years later in another old theater. Who made
them? When? Any photos? There is approximately zero info about them in
google, at least that I've been able to find.

Thanks,

z!

Old March 15th 16, 05:18 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,ba.broadcast
SMS SMS is offline

On 3/14/2016 5:33 PM, Carl Zwanzig wrote:

Does anyone (else) remember the P connector? It was a predecessor to the
XL/XLR and was about an inch across with three pins on a right, not
equilateral, triangle. In the '70s I saw some in a 1930's school theater
(Pasadena CA) and a couple of years later in another old theater. Who
made them? When? Any photos? There is approximately zero info about them
in google, at least that I've been able to find.

Thanks,

z!

Are you thinking of the Amphenol 91-MC3M/91-MC3F connectors? These
predated the XLR connectors. There are adapters and adapter cables
available at pretty high prices.

Old March 16th 16, 09:15 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,ba.broadcast

On 3/15/2016 10:18 AM, sms wrote:
Are you thinking of the Amphenol 91-MC3M/91-MC3F connectors?

No, these looked like a scaled-up XLR, with an overall D shape of the
connector and a push-button latch (not a threaded-ring).

Of course, once you publicly ask a question the answer practically jumps out
at you:
http://www.soundfirst.com/xlr.html
"At one time Cannon made a large circular connector series that was popular
for microphones called the P series."

Although it looks like I was actually thinking of the UA series even though
the people I met called them "P connectors".

Which even references this
http://www.amphenolaudio.com/product...ors/ep-series/
but it doesn't appear that they still make UA connectors.

Now I know.

z!

F connectors John Ferrell Antenna 12 March 20th 07 09:31 PM
Connectors Dave Piggin Antenna 2 February 23rd 06 07:19 AM
FA - (15) New "N" Connectors Not any More Equipment 0 June 28th 05 05:16 AM
FA - (15) New "N" Connectors kk4tl Swap 0 June 28th 05 05:13 AM
2 pin mic connectors Ron, KC4YOY Boatanchors 0 September 4th 04 10:00 PM