Old April 13th 16, 11:29 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.info

Default RadioInsight for Wednesday 13 April 2016

RadioInsight

B105 Winchester Flips To Classic Country

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...assic-country/

Centennial Broadcasting flipped Country simulcast B105 104.9 WZFC
Strasburg/105.5 WXBN Berryville VA to Classic Country at 5:00pm on Tuesday.
Now positioned as True Country B105, the station is focusing on 90s Country
from artists such as Alabama, Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks and George Strait.
With the change afternoon host Cisqo exits. Chuck Carroll moves from
middays to afternoons and Mike Evans from nights to middays. The syndicated
Big D Bubba remain in place for mornings. B105, located simultaneously at
105.5 and 104.9 FM, is redirecting its version of Country with a direction
and focus that features the rich heritage of both the station group and the
format. ”Serving our community and the Shenandoah Valley is our mission”,
says GM and Market Manager, Chris Martin. After careful analysis it was
determined that what’s hot in Hollywood or Nashville or American Idol
doesn’t necessarily translate to the tastes and desires of Winchester or
the Valley. “Patsy Cline recorded in our building, in our studios, on our
microphones and with our staff. That is a fact.” notes Mr. Martin. “And
since when does fantastic go out of style?”. “Listeners can expect to hear
a music intensive variety of traditional classics and the best of the
best”, according to Director of Programming, Mike Herald. “We believe this
is the true identity of the area, the heritage and the people.” Starting at
5PM today, Tuesday, April 12, 2016, you can expect to hear what they
collectively refer to as “just better country”. From Winchester east to the
mountain and up and down the I-81 corridor, B105 strives to match the
beautiful scenery with a brand of music worthy of it.

Binnie Media Expands Into Portsmouth NH

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...portsmouth-nh/

After a previous deal to merge with Aruba Capital Holdings and Port
Broadcasting to create Coastal Media Partners failed to close, Garrison
City Broadcasting is selling AC 98.7 The Bay WBYY Somersworth/Portsmouth
and News/Talk 1270 WTSN Dover NH to Binnie Media. The $2.1 million purchase
will bring Binnie their first two stations in Portsmouth to join their
fourteen other stations in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont and WBIN-TV
Derry NH. Binnie began operating WBYY and WTSN via LMA on April 7.

KLIV To Flip To Classic Country

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...assic-country/

Empire Broadcasting has announced it will flip News 1590 KLIV San Jose CA
to Classic Country in the coming weeks. The new 1980s/1990s Country format
will create a flanker for sister Country 95.3 KRTY. KLIV will retain its
Sports coverage of MLS San Jose Earthquakes and San Jose State University
as well as some of the commentaries currently featured on the station. The
entire news department will exit with the flip. KLIV President Robert Kieve
posted a letter on the station website explaining the rationale for the
format change was due to the station not being profitable in its thirty
years in the News format with 2015 being the worst in station history.
Within a few weeks, KLIV will be changing its format. The high expenses of
running a news station and declining ad revenues have become too great.
Indeed, in the 30 years that KLIV has been a local news station, it has
never made a profit; it has lost money every year. 2015 was the worst year
in our history. We’ll retain many features that have made KLIV distinctive
– Carl Guardino’s weekly programs, our traffic reports, the voice of John
McLeod, Phil Cosentino’s Produce Reports, commentaries about local issues
by local community issues, speakers from the San Jose Rotary Club and from
the Commonwealth Club. And yes, the “Secret Sound.” In place of local
newscasts, we’ll play the best country music of the 80’s and 90’s. We will
miss our small news staff, especially its leader, George Sampson. They’ve
done a wonderful job. We hope that you can view this change with sympathy –
and that you give our new format a fair listen. Although the changes are
still weeks away, we wanted you to know about our plans. Robert S. Kieve
President, Empire Broadcasting

Ian Camfield Moves From UK To Alt AZ 93.3 Phoenix

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...-93-3-phoenix/

Hubbard Alternative 93.3 Alt AZ KDKB Mesa/Phoenix AZ has hired Ian Camfield
for mornings. Camfield has spent much of his career in his native United
Kingdom at now-defunct Alternative 104.9 Xfm London hosting afternoons from
the stations launch in 1997 through 2007 and then returning for multiple
dayparts from 2009 through its format change to Rock Radio X last year.
During that one year gap at Xfm, Camfield hosted afternoons at CBS Rock
92.3 K-Rock WXRK New York. Hubbard Radio hires Ian Camfield as morning host
for Alternative KDKB-FM (ALT AZ 93.3) Phoenix, effective in April. He
previously worked for CBS Radio in New York as WXRK-FM (K-Rock)s afternoon
host, then returning to the UK to front the Morning Show on Xfm. Camfield
has also hosted shows for VH-1 and MTV2, made various appearances on music
documentaries, as well as hosted multiple festivals such as Download,
Wireless and Sonisphere. Camfield stated, I feel incredibly privileged Trip
Reeb and Nancy Stevens have chosen me to host Mornings on ALT AZ 93.3, and
super excited to be returning to the greatest country in the world. I cant
wait to start working with the team at Hubbard. VP/Market Manager Trip Reeb
commented, I have been aware of Ians work since the K-Rock New York days
and think hes a great fit for the team at ALT AZ 93.3.