Old May 4th 16, 02:12 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.info

Default RadioInsight for Tuesday 3 May 2016

RadioInsight

Two Central Massachusetts Stations To End Programming

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...d-programming/

Two years after launching broad Variety Hits 99.9 WFNX Athol and
Oldies/Standards AM 700 WFAT Orange-Athol MA, Northeast Broadcasting will
pull the plug on the stations and revert them to simulcasts of AAA 92.5 The
River WXRV Andover/Boston at the end of the month.

Both stations have letters posted on their websites explaining the
difficulty they have received in attracting advertisers to sustain them.
WFAT/WFNX state they need ten businesses to sign one year agreements to
advertise to keep the stations afloat.

It is officially May, and sadly the last month of WFNX 99.9 as you know it
today. It was this month 2 years ago that we started the experiment to find
the perfect format for the area, and it has been an incredible experience.
We were given two years to execute this radio experimentto try something
different in order to take a couple of radio stations that were under
performing and make them both popular with listeners and profitable. While
we would certainly say that the station has gained listeners in the past
two years, unfortunately we are still far from profitable. We very much
appreciate the support of the advertising clients that we have had, we just
wish there would have been more of them. Truth be told, when we started we
thought that part of the experiment would be easyrealistically we only
needed 10 businesses to advertise every month at a reasonably priced rate
in order to cover basic expenses. With signals covering a population of
about 80,000 people, it seemed it would be so easy to find businesses that
would be interested in advertising. We were wrong. During the entire 2 year
period, we have been having conversations with local business owners and
managers, and while getting a no answer is a given in any kind of sales,
the quantity of nos was astounding. Now were approaching the time limit,
and we simply have not been able to get enough yes answers to be able to
continue. Unless we could somehow miraculously find ten businesses that
would advertise annually with us before then, May 29 will be the last day
that the current programming on WFNX will be heard. And on May 30, the
station will go back to being a rebroadcast of The River from the Boston
area.

For all of you out there that have listened to the randomness, voted for
songs, wrote us emails, and posted on our Facebook pagethank you so much!
It has been an incredible ride, and we will truly miss reaching all of you
via the airwaves in the Quabbin Region.

The WFNX Team

INSTANT INSIGHT: Both WFAT and WFNX launched their current formats in June
2014 following a brief stunt. Neither features a mass-appeal format and
too-broad playlists. A recent block on WFNX segued from Linkin Park to
Macklemore to The Coasters to Dee-lite. Hard to sell something thats not
focusing on a core audience.

Arizona LPFM Format Moves To Commercial Station

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...rcial-station/

Filed under something you dont see every day

Show Low Community Radio and New Directions Media have partnered to move
the format of Variety Hits Rewind 99 from 99.7 KPKX-LP Show Low AZ to 1470
KVSL/107.9 K300CL Show Low as Rewind 108. KVSL had been airing a mix of
Talk, Sports and AC.

The move bumps the station from the 2 watt LPFM to the combination of the
5kW AM and 152 watt translator to better cover Show Low. The KPKX-LP will
flip to Country as 99.7 The Bear.

CBS Names Adam Wiener EVP/GM Local Digital Media

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...digital-media/

CBS has promoted Adam Wiener to Executive Vice President/General Manager of
CBS Local Digital Media overseeing the digital operations for the companys
radio and television stations.

Wiener has been with the company since 2010 as Senior Vice President,
Content, Community and Operations. He replaces Ezra Kucharz as head of the
division. Kucharz resigned last week but is serving as a Special Advisor to
CBS CEO Leslie Moonves.

Adam Wiener has been named Executive Vice President and General Manager,
CBS Local Digital Media, it was announced today by Peter Dunn, President,
CBS Television Stations and Andre Fernandez, President, CBS RADIO. He will
report to both. The appointment is effective Monday, May 9.

Wiener, who joined CBS Local Digital Media in 2010, and has served as
Senior Vice President, Content, Community and Operations, will succeed Ezra
Kucharz as the head of CBS Local Digital Media. Kucharz last week announced
his decision to transition into the role of Special Advisor to the Chief
Executive Officer of CBS Corporation, effective May 9.

In his new role, Wiener will be responsible for overseeing the digital
operations of CBS’s 29 television stations and CBS RADIO’s 117 stations
nationwide. He will also work closely with CBS Interactive President and
Chief Executive Officer, Jim Lanzone, tapping into the vast resources and
expertise of CBS Corporation’s entire online content network.

“Adam has been instrumental in helping us grow the most successful digital
business in local broadcasting,” said Dunn. “He is an obvious and terrific
choice to succeed Ezra, and we are pleased to have him assume the
leadership responsibility for what is and most certainly will continue to
be an integral part of our business going forward.”

“Our digital effort is well on its way to realizing our vision of a
powerful and compelling destination for viewers and listeners in our local
markets,” said Fernandez. “Adam’s proven track record within the digital
industry will be vital to the ongoing expansion of our assets and
distribution strategy moving forward, and we are thrilled to have him
assume this leadership role.”

Leslie Moonves, CBS Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, added: “CBS’s
local digital operation is an impressive addition to our overall content
strategy. Working alongside Peter, Andre and Jim, Adam will be instrumental
in helping our local online destinations thrive and achieve continued and
consistent growth. We are very pleased to welcome him to his new position.”

A digital and traditional media veteran with content, operational and
revenue experience, Wiener began his career at CBS and has held positions
including: Executive Producer of CBSNews.com, Senior Producer at CBS News,
Senior Vice President of Business Development for NBCU/iVillage, Chief
Operating Officer for NBCUs driverTV, General Manager for broadband health
network Healthology, and Vice President of Content and Operations for a
joint venture of Dow Jones/IAC.

With more than two dozen major market specific portals, music and lifestyle
websites, apps and local commerce platforms, CBS Local Digital Media takes
an active role in reaching more than 60 million unique monthly consumers
with extensive coverage of news, traffic, weather, sports and entertainment
headlines. Live and on-demand audio and video from all CBS stations, as
well as an extensive lineup of original podcasts, allows consumers to
experience award-winning programming whether at home, the office or on the
go.

WTOP: Real-life radio hijinks inspire comedy web series The Jamz

http://wtop.com/entertainment/2016/0...ries-the-jamz/

Townsquare Acquires Two & Divests One In Tuscaloosa

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...in-tuscaloosa/

Townquare Media is purchasing Classic Country simulcast Catfish Country
102.9 WNPT-FM Marion and 1230 WTBC/100.1 W261BT Tuscaloosa AL from John
Sisty Enterprises for $550,000.

To stay under the ownership limits for the market Townsquare will divest
Sports Tide 99.1 WDGM Greensboro AL to a currently unknown buyer. WTBC and
WNPT-FM will join a Townsquare Tuscaloosa cluster that includes Urban 92.9
WTUG-FM*Northport, Country 95.3 The Bear WFFN Coaling, CHR B101.7 WBEI
Reform, and Gospel 790 The Truth WTSK Tuscaloosa.

Entercom Snags San Diego Padres Radio Rights

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...-radio-rights/

On the heels of signing an extension to keep the Boston Red Sox on 93.7
WEEI-FM Boston, Entercom has landed the radio rights to another Major
League Baseball franchise.

The San Diego Padres will move from Broadcast Company of Americas Sports
Mighty 1090 XEPRS Tijuana to Entercom Alternative FM 94/9 KBZT San Diego
starting with the 2017 season. The five year deal was announced by Entercom
CEO David Field during the companys quarterly earnings report this morning.

And I am pleased to report that we have entered into an agreement to become
the flagship radio broadcaster for the San Diego Padres. Starting in 2017
and continuing through 2021, our FM 94.9 in San Diego will be the home for
all the Padres games. FM 94.9 will retain its alternative rock format
offering our listeners a unique combination of great music, sports and
local personalities.

Should KBZT retain its format it will become the second Alternative station
to carry an MLB franchise. Northern Lights Broadcastings Go 96.3 KTWN-FM
Minneapolis carries the Minnesota Twins. The Padres will become the fourth
team carried by an Entercom station. The company also has rights deals with
the Boston Red Sox, Kansas City Royals and Oakland Athletics. Only CBS
Radio and iHeartMedia have relationships with more teams.

XEPRS had held the rights for the Padres since the 2004 season.

KABQ Albuquerque Goes All 80s

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...-goes-all-80s/

The what goes around comes around cycle of programming is seeing the return
of the all 1980s format.

Just weeks after iHeart VP Darren Davis mentioned at the NAB Show that the
iHeart 80s channel was the most listened to on their streaming platform,
Classic Hits 104.7 KABQ-FM Bosque Farms/Albuquerque has relaunched as The
80s Station.

The station is currently running jockless with Mitch Craig voiceovers.
KABQ-FM is licensed to the Aloha Station Trust for eventual divestment.
KABQ-FM ranked 22nd in the Albuquerque market with a 1.5 share in the
Winter 2016 Nielsen Audio ratings.

INSTANT INSIGHT: The All-80s and 80s More formats had their time in the
sun around the turn of the century, but with Classic Hits now completely
centered in that decade musically perhaps there is room for a station
hyper-focused on the decade yet again. An 18 year old in 1986 is now 48 and
right in the core of the 25-54 demographic.