Old September 1st 16, 10:35 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.info

Default RadioInsight for Thursday 1 September 2016

RadioInsight

August 2016 Nielsen Audio PPM Ratings Day 4

http://us6.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...e=75862 030d3

KKOB Albuquerque Adds $425,000 FM Signal

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...000-fm-signal/

Cumulus News/Talk 770 KKOB Albuquerque has brought its programming to FM.

Following Cumulus agreement to purchase 94.5 K233CG Sandia NM from Martha
Whitman for $425,000, the translator has immediately begun rebroadcasting
KKOB. The translator operates with 250w vertical/1240m giving it great
coverage of the Albuquerque market.

The translator previously carried an 1980s hits format with 1550 KQNM
Albuquerque, but most recently was rebroadcasting Air 1 105.5 KQRI. Whitman
just closed on the purchase of K233CG from EMF for $61,431.66. As part of
that deal she cannot consummate the sale with Cumulus until 365 days have
passed. Cumulus will operate the translator via a Retranmission Agreement
for $1000 per month which will be pro-rated from the purchase price until
then.

Cumulus Media announces that 770 KKOB-AM, New Mexico’s top talk radio
station and the oldest station in New Mexico, is now broadcasting as a
simulcast on 94.5 FM in Albuquerque with the addition of a new FM
translator being purchased by Cumulus from a local owner. The translator on
top of Sandia Mountain is equivalent to a 50,000 watt FM*and reaches all of
the Albuquerque metro area with its powerful signal. The FM simulcast will
broadcast all the same award-winning talk programming that has made 770
KKOB the #1/#2 station consistently for more than 20 years on the new 94.5
FM position, as well as on its 94-year-old home at 770-AM.

Jeff Berry, Vice President/Market Manager, Cumulus Media-Albuquerque said:
“We celebrate a remarkable milestone in the history of Albuquerque as we
turn on the FM simulcast of New Mexico’s oldest radio station, 770 KKOB-AM,
the #1 talk station in Albuquerque for over 20 years and an Albuquerque
treasure. The new FM simulcast allows us to serve our entire community with
New Mexico’s best talk radio programming from this iconic and beloved
Albuquerque original. Our listeners and advertisers will get more of what
they love with KKOB’s new FM broadcast, paired with the existing AM
broadcast.”

Pat Frisch, AM Operations Manager and Program Director of KKOB, said: “This
is an exciting time for all of us*here at KKOB, and one that has been years
in the making. We look forward to introducing our great talk radio
programming to thousands of new listeners that live on the FM dial.

Midroll Media Promotes Erik Diehn To CEO; Lex Friedman CRO

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...-friedman-cro/

Midroll Media has promoted Erik Diehn to Chief Executive Officer and Lex
Friedman to Chief Revenue Officer.

Diehn succeeds Adam Sachs who exited the company earlier this year. He
joined Midroll in 2014 as VP/Business Development from WNYC/New York Public
Radio where he served in a similar capacity.

Friedman has been with Midroll since 2013 overseeing the Sales side of the
company. In his new roll he will add oversight of other revenue producing
sides of the company including the Howl.fm subscription service and live
events.

Erik Diehn has been named chief executive officer of Midroll Media, the
leader in podcast production, advertising and distribution.

Midroll also has named Lex Friedman to the new post of chief revenue
officer, broadening his role from executive vice president of sales and
development.

As CEO, Diehn will have wide-ranging responsibility over the company’s
strategy and operations for all areas of the podcast ecosystem, including
content development, advertising and distribution. Diehn had most recently
been vice president of business development for Midroll, which was acquired
by The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP) in 2015.

“Erik and Lex are a powerful partnership to lead the Midroll team forward
on an aggressive path as we build out a complete podcasting ecosystem,”
said Adam Symson, chief digital officer for Scripps. “Erik has a proven
track record of being a strategic leader with the vision to accelerate the
company even faster, while Lex is certainly the industry’s most
accomplished revenue innovator.”

Diehn will guide the company’s continued growth through the expansion of
Midroll’s owned-and-operated podcast network and advertising rep-firm
business through which Midroll represents nearly 300 of the industry’s
top-ranked podcasts. Ahead will be the continued development and deployment
of Midroll’s data-driven technology and consumer-listening platform
Stitcher, which Scripps acquired in June.

“As Midroll heads into another year of growth, I’m honored to lead our
talented team through the new opportunities ahead,” said Diehn. “Whether
developing and supporting new and exciting shows, building and enhancing
Stitcher to reach whole new groups of listeners, or helping advertisers
discover the incredible value of podcast advertising, Midroll will continue
to be at the forefront of podcast innovation.”

Before joining Midroll in 2014, Diehn led business development at New York
Public Radio/WNYC, where he helped drive audience and revenue growth for
national programming such as “Freakonomics Radio.” He has also worked in
strategy at financial news and information leader Bloomberg, LP and was a
consultant to major media and consumer goods companies while at The Boston
Consulting Group. He holds a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism from American
University and an MBA from Columbia University Business School. Diehn
succeeds Adam Sachs, who left the company earlier this year.

In his new role as CRO, Friedman expands on his responsibility for
Midroll’s sales organization to encompass all facets of Midroll’s new and
existing business lines, including strategy for the company’s push into
subscription premium content, live events such as this fall’s Now Hear This
podcast festival in Anaheim, California, and e-commerce. Since joining
Midroll in 2013, Friedman has overseen the expansion of Midroll’s sales
force and a more than tenfold increase in Midroll annual sales.

“As major brands and advertisers tap into the value of podcast advertising,
they are increasingly turning to Midroll and our growing list of services
and product offerings,” said Friedman. “In addition to continuing to grow
our advertising base, we will further develop revenue streams tied to
listeners’ love for our shows – the paid premium content, events with our
talented hosts and online sales of products tied to our popular podcasts.”

Midroll is a featured presenter at the IAB Podcast Upfront event on
Wednesday, Sept. 7, in New York City, where it will unveil a new roster of
shows and provide insights into the value of podcast advertising for a
sold-out crowd of brands and agencies. For more information about the event
and Midroll’s presentation, email: .

Fox Sports Radio Launches New Morning Show

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...-morning-show/

Fox Sports Radio will debut a new morning show on Tuesday, September 6.

Outkick The Coverage with Clay Travis will air from 6-9am eastern replacing
Fox Sports Daybreak with Andy Furman and Mike North. Travis serves as a
College Football analyst for Fox Sports and is editor of
OutkickTheCoverage.com. He has also previously written for CBS Sportsline
and AOL Fanhouse and spent five years as co-host of Three Hour Lunch on
Cumulus Sports 104.5 The Zone WGFX Nashville.

FOX Sports Radio (FSR) announced today the addition of multimedia sports
personality Clay Travis to its weekday morning lineup. Beginning September
6, Outkick The Coverage with Clay Travis will broadcast weekdays from 6 to
9 a.m. ET on 220 stations nationwide, in addition to FOX Sports Radio’s
channel on iHeartRadio, iHeartMedia’s industry-leading digital radio
platform.

Originating from Nashville, Tenn., the program will feature Travis’
informed, outspoken, fearless and often funny commentary on the latest
sports headlines, as well as pop culture commentary, interviews and
listener interaction. The FS1 college football analyst and founder of the
wildly popular OutKickTheCoverage.com will continue to host his top-ranking
Outkick The Show webcast, which is streamed live on Facebook, Periscope,
YouTube, FOX Sports GO and FOXSports.com.

More than two million unique video viewers watched/listened to Outkick the
Show in June 2016, making it the most-watched daily sports show streamed
live on Periscope and Facebook in the country. In addition,
OutKickTheCoverage.com had another record year in 2015. The four-year-old
site had nearly 12 million unique visitors last year alone, who spent
nearly 21 million minutes reading Outkick articles.

“Even though my wife disagrees, Ive always thought there is no better sound
to wake up to in the morning than my voice. Now everyone can hear it!”
shared Travis. “While I’m very excited to take the next step in the
direction of Outkick dominating all forms of media, I’d like to apologize
in advance for hating your favorite team and thinking they’re overrated
unless youre an Ohio State fan, in which case, I really do hate your team
and they are overrated.”

“FOX Sports Radio’s Don Martin, Scott Shapiro and I couldn’t be more
excited to add Clay Travis to this already strong lineup,” stated Julie
Talbott, Premiere Networks President.* “Clay is bold, opinionated and
entertaining, and we’re confident Outkick the Coverage will be home to some
of the most thought provoking sports-talk programming each morning, while
driving immediate reaction from his large and engaged national audience.”

In July of 2007, Travis published his first book Dixieland Delight, a
critically-acclaimed chronicle of his 2006 tour of all 12 Southeastern
Conference football stadiums and his entertaining fan experiences at every
stop. The Nashville native and former lawyer previously wrote columns for
CBSSports.com for four years before joining Deadspin as an editor in 2008.

During fall of that year, he began his second book,*On Rocky Top: A
Front-Row Seat to the End of an Era, an all-access tell-all documenting the
University of Tennessee football program over the course of its season.

After spending 2009-2011 as a columnist for AOL FanHouse, Travis launched
Outkick The Coverage, then an SEC-centric news and opinion blog, in July
2011. Gaining strong traction through the world of social
media,*Outkick*became an internet phenomenon, attracting an average of two
million unique visitors each month. The site entered a licensing
partnership with FOX Sports in July 2013, at which time Travis also became
a college football analyst for FS1. He also co-hosted the top-rated 3HL on
104.5 The Zone in Nashville for five years.

Daily Domains 9/1: New Name For CBS Radio Potentially Set

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...tentially-set/

As CBS Radio prepares for its IPO and spinoff has the company settled on
its new name?

Also potential changes in Atlanta and Austin. And more Reals and Gs.
This content is for Premium Annual and Premium Monthly members only. Visit
the site and log in/register to read.

Gator Harrison Named Senior VP/Programming iHeartMedia Nashville

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...dia-nashville/

iHeartMedia has announced that Gator Harrison has been named Senior Vice
President of Programming for the companys Nashville stations.

Harrison transfers from the same position in Chattanooga and will have
oversight over Country The Big 98 97.9 WSIX, Alternative Alt 98.3/97.5
WNRQ-HD2, Urban 101.1 The Beat WUBT, Classic Rock 105.9 The Rock WNRQ, CHR
107.5 The River WRVW, and News/Talk 1510 WLAC. He will also retain his
position as Brand Coordinator for iHeartCountry. Harrison previously worked
in Nashville at CHR Y107 WYHY from 1990 to 1996.

He replaces Michael Bryan, who had served as SVP/Programming as well as
OM/PD of WSIX and WRVW and Executive Producer of The Bobby Bones Show and
Tige Daniel. No word on his status with the company.

iHeartMedia announced today that Gator Harrison has been named Senior Vice
President of Programming for the Nashville market, effective immediately.
iHeartMedia Nashville has a strong cross-platform presence, massive
consumer reach and includes a number of iconic brands and franchises — both
broadcast and digital — encompassing radio station brands WSIX-FM, WUBT-FM,
WNRQ-FM, WNRQ-HD, WRVW-FM and WLAC-AM.

Gator will work closely with program directors, on-air personalities and
sales to oversee on-air, digital and music programming for the radio
station brands and their local events. Gator will continue to serve as
Brand Coordinator for the Nashville-based iHeartCountry team, which has
more than 145 Country broadcast radio stations across the U.S. He will
report to Rod Phillips, Senior Vice President of Programming for
iHeartMedia’s Nashville Region and Brand Manager for iHeartCountry.

“We’re thrilled to have Gator join us and oversee programming in
Nashville,” said Dan Endom, Region President for iHeartMedia Nashville.
“Gator built his network and experience in the industry from the ground up
and his proven track record makes him perfectly suited to lead our
Nashville station brands’ programming.”

Gator previously worked as the Senior Vice President of Programming for
iHeartMedia Chattanooga where he oversaw all aspects of on-air and online
programming for the market’s five radio station brands. Gator has received
26 awards recognizing his excellence in broadcasting from national
organizations including: Academy of Country Music Awards, Country Music
Association Awards, CRB-Country Aircheck Awards and more.

The Tennessee community has been great to me throughout my career, and I
can’t wait to make them proud in Nashville,” said Gator. “iHeartMedia
Nashville is home to six leading radio station brands that I can’t wait to
work with and help them continue to connect with listeners every day.”

Gator succeeds Michael Bryan in this role.

iHeartMedia is a leading media outlet throughout the Nashville Region. Its
radio brands and content are available across multiple platforms, including
its broadcast stations; online via its branded digital sites; mobile; and
social, with nationwide listening through iHeartRadio, the all-in-one
streaming music and live radio service.

Volume One: Where FM Means Fine Music

http://volumeone.org/articles/2016/0...ans_fine_music

Ross On RadioInsight: Reconsidering Radios Worst Summer (Of The Early 80s)

https://radioinsight.com/blog/blogs/...the-early-80s/

The summer of 1979 was pretty great for hit music—the peak of disco, the
explosion of new wave crossovers, not much has to be said. Besides, I’d
just graduated from high school.

The summer of 1980 was pretty good where I was in Washington, D.C., thanks
to the battle between WPGC and WRQX (Q107). WPGC hadn’t stopped playing RB
crossovers like many top 40 stations. Q107 leaned pop/rock and was pounding
a half-dozen songs that weren’t national hits, or even singles. Outside, it
was the summer of Air Supply, Robbie Dupree, and Christopher Cross, but it
was OK in D.C.

The summer of 1982 was the ramping up of Top 40’s resurgence. There was
“Don’t You Want Me,” “Tainted Love,” “Hurts So Good,” “Eye of the Tiger,”
“Vacation,” “Abracadabra,” etc. All of which did a lot to wash out the
taste of “I’ve Never Been To Me” or “’65 Love Affair” at summer’s outset.
Besides, I had my first radio job.

That leaves the summer of 1981 as the generally acknowledged nadir of Top
40’s early ‘80s doldrums. It’s easy to remember 1981 now as the year that
“yacht rock”—the last wave of Doobie Brothers disciples—wouldn’t leave. It
was a year when RB couldn’t crossover unless it was “Slow Hand” by the
Pointer Sisters or “Endless Love” by Diana Ross Lionel Richie.

In the summer of 1981, the Top 40 format itself was going missing in many
markets. In D.C., WPGC was in the process of softening to AC. Q107 was
segueing to AOR as “Q Phase II”—a reaction to the relaunch of rival WAVA as
a Doubleday AOR along the lines of the phenomenal WLLZ Detroit. New York
didn’t have a real top 40 that summer either. (WABC and WNBC were really
Hot ACs.)

Recently, I wrote an article comparing 1985 with 2016, and asking if Top 40
music really was better back then. In a well-reasoned e-mail, reader James
Machinia took exception with my suggestion that pop music in 1985 had in
any way lost momentum from the previous two summers. “No one will ever
confuse it with the summer of 1981,” he wrote. But recently I came across a
playlist from CFTR Toronto from the summer of 1981 at the ARSA site for old
radio surveys. I found myself dividing the summer’s hits into a handful of
pilesthose that were actually good, those that were despicable, and those
in between.
Actually Pretty Good (At Least At The Time)
Stars On 45, “Medley” (scoff now, but having a song that was essentially
“Beatles meet Abba” was exciting on the radio)
Kim Carnes, “Bette Davis Eyes”
Phil Collins, “In The Air Tonight”
Foreigner, “Urgent”
Rolling Stones, “Start Me Up”
Greg Kihn Band, “The Breakup Song”
Hall Oates, “You Make My Dreams”
Rick Springfield, “Jessie’s Girl”?
Moody Blues, “Gemini Dream”
Gary “US” Bonds, “This Little Girl”
Juice Newton, “Queen of Hearts”
Santana, “Winning”
Stevie Nicks Tom Petty, “Stop Dragging My Heart Around”
ELO, “Hold On Tight”
Moody Blues, “Gemini Dream”
Rosanne Cash, “Seven Year Ache” (more about this in a minute)?
Neutral, But Harmless
George Harrison, “All Those Years Ago” (this John Lennon tribute was a
better gesture than record)
Ray Parker, Jr., Raydio, “A Woman Needs Love (Just Like You Do)”

Journey, “Who’s Crying Now”
Commodores, “Lady (You Bring Me Up)”
Pat Benatar, “Fire And Ice” (suffered from comparisons with her last album)
Pointer Sisters, “Slow Hand”—disappointing because it wasn’t “He’s So Shy”
Little River Band, “The Night Owls”
Goofy/Wimpy But Harmless
Ross Richie, “Endless Love”—good for what it was, until we all got sick of
it; it also benefited from some of the heat surrounding the movie. When it
was exploding, WPGC played it once an hour
Christopher Cross, “Arthur’s Theme (Best That You Can Do)”—see “Endless
Love.” Also, I’m friended with Carol Bayer Sager on Facebook and while it
is unlikely that she’ll see this…
Oak Ridge Boys, “Elvira”
Manhattan Transfer, “The Boy from New York City”
Marty Balin, “Hearts”
Alan Parsons Project, “Time”
Ronnie Milsap, “(There’s) No Getting Over Me”
Sheena Easton, “For Your Eyes Only” (and “You Could’ve Been With Me,” which
I love, was on the way)
Grover Washington, Jr. Bill Withers, “Just The Two Of Us” (because I
cannot put a Bill Withers record in the bad stack)
Neil Diamond, “America” (sounded pretty good after “Love On The Rocks” and
“Hello Again”)
Would Have Been Fine If They Were Bigger At CHR
REO Speedwagon, “Don’t Let Him Go”
Joe Walsh, “A Life of Illusion”
Frankie Smith, “Double Dutch Bus”
Rick James, “Give It To Me Baby”
Rush, “Tom Sawyer”
Billy Squier, “The Stroke”
Tom Petty Heartbreakers, “The Waiting”
Point Blank, “Nicole”
Teena Marie, “Square Biz”
Squeeze, “Tempted”
Balance, “Breaking Away”
Quincy Jones, “Ai No Corrida”
38 Special, “Fantasy Girl”
Diesel, “Sausalito Summernight”
Evelyn King, “I’m In Love”
Denroy Morgan, “I’ll Do Anything For You” (now we’re into the Urban hits
that got nowhere near CHR)
Wimpy/Bad
Air Supply, “The One That You Love” (and it had more like it in the wings)
Joey Scarbury, “Theme from ‘the Greatest American Hero’”
Kenny Rogers, “I Don’t Need You” (and “Through The Years” was on the way)
Dottie West Kenny Rogers, “What Are We Doing In Love”
John Schneider, “It’s Now Or Never” (he was headed for better true Country
hits)
A Taste of Honey, “Sukiyaki” (and because I like them, it pains me to put
it in this stack)
Emmylou Harris, “Mr. Sandman” (and because I like her, it pains me that
this was her pop hit)
Gino Vannelli, “Living Inside Myself” (but it made the switch to “Black
Cars” and other uptempo pop later in the decade even better)

Your judgment on individual titles will, of course, vary. I was delighted
by the semi-crossover of Rosanne Cash’s “Seven Year Ache”—one of the
brightest spots in a period of wimpy, post-“Urban Cowboy” country (along
with the less ambitious Juice Newton rockers). Then, many years later, a
friend told me that song was the reason that he left Top 40 radio for Urban.

The pile of true bile isn’t that huge (although if you do this exercise in,
say, the summer of 1983, almost nothing goes into the pile then). It’s when
you add it to the songs on the cusp, and consider the overall AC feel of
Top 40 at the time (in terms of presentation and gold library) that you
understand why summer radio felt mushy.

There were a handful of Top 40s that were taking things into their own
hands. KFRC San Francisco amped up the RB crossovers and refused to
participate in the recession. CKLW Detroit, trying to find its way in its
final years, still managed to play “Square Biz” and “I’m In Love.” There
were definitely markets where I could have enjoyed radio in summer 1981
more.

In other words, the summer of 1981 was bad for pop radio, but it would have
made a pretty good listener playlist, if such things had been easily
customizable at the time. I gripe about the current spate of slow-grind
EDM/pop, but I’m still waiting for broadcast radio to do a better job of
triaging today’s available music for me. Nobody these days really has to
wait.

CKJN Gets Grand In Hamilton

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...d-in-hamilton/

Durham Radio has closed on its acquisition of Country 92.9 CKJN-FM
Haldimand/Hamilton ON from Vista Radio and has flipped the station to
Classic Hits 92.9 The Grand CHTG-FM.

The format change takes the station out of direct format competition with
new sister KX 94.7 CHKX while returning Classic Hits to the market for the
first time since Bell Medias 1150 CKOC flipped to Sports last September.
Much of the airstaff used to work at CKOC. Former middayer Peter Jaycock
will host mornings, former PD/morning host Ted Yates is in middays, and
Rock ‘N’ Ray Michaels in afternoons.

Pair Of Small Town AMs Go Dark

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...n-ams-go-dark/

A pair of AM stations have thrown in the towel.

2B Productions states that We are just tired of pouring money into a dark
hole in regards to Classic Country 1490 WSTP Salisbury NC. The station went
dark at midnight on August 30 with no intent to return. General Manager
Buddy Poole commented that the 1kW signal was not enough to cover outside
the Salisbury city limits and after much expense and engineering
consultation has learned it can’t increase the station’s coverage area. 2B
will continue to operate Standards 1280 WSAT in Salisbury and are in the
process of moving a translator for the station.

The situation is a little more fluid in Cumberland KY where Country 1280
WCPM went dark on Wednesday evening with little insight into why. Owner/GM
Susan Bibb-Burton wrote on Facebook that Im looking at this as being
temporary. There are so many situations at the station that have prompted
me to do this, situations that I hope that can be resolved soon. If this
happens, WCPM can return and hopefully continue to bring back the local
radio that you all remember and still depend on.

Salisbury radio station WSTP-AM 1490 will sign off the air tonight, August
30th, at midnight. The station was sold to the Catawba College Foundation
through 2B Productions LLC in August of 2014.

According to station general manager Buddy Poole, 2B Productions has tried
to improve the signal but after “much expense and engineering consultation
has learned it can’t increase the station’s coverage area.” Poole said the
station was designed to cover Salisbury with a 2 millivolt signal and does
not have good coverage outside of the city limits in Rowan County.

“We are just tired of pouring money into a dark hole,” Poole shared. He
noted that only six AM stations have been sold since 2006 in the Charlotte
ADI. WSAT, WSTP and WTIX in Concord of three of those six AM stations and
all are owned by 2B Productions.

WSAT, WSTP and WTIX were all originally purchased with the intent of
offering an expanded platform for Catawba College students majoring in
Business or Communication Arts and hoping to pursue media-related careers.

Along with Poole, Bill Graham of Salisbury, a Catawba College trustee and
1983 alumnus, has been the driving force behind the Catawba Foundation’s
acquisition of the stations. The intent was for profits from the operation
of the stations SAT and WSTP will be donated to Catawba College through the
Catawba Foundation.

The Catawba Foundation acquired WSAT in early May of 2014, WSTP in August
of 2014, and WTIX in December of 2015.

WAVL Flips To News/Talk

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...s-to-newstalk/

LHTC Media has launched News/Talk PA Talk 98.7/910 910 WAVL Apollo/98.7
W254CR Latrobe PA.

The new lineup include regionally syndicated Jim Quinn in mornings, Hank
Baughmans Talk Westmoreland based at new sister 1480 WCNS Latrobe, and
syndicated talkers Dana Loesch, Laura Ingraham, Michael Savage, and Joe
Pags.

The suburban Pittsburgh station is being operated via LMA from Colonial
Media & Entertainment while awaiting the acquisition of the stations to be
approved.

Nielsen Releases Los Angeles PPM Irregularities Response

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...rregularities/

Nielsen Audio has sent out a follow-up message to clients regarding the
irregularities it discovered in the Los Angeles PPM survey.

Nielsens investigation discovered that an isolated personnel issue caused
several households to be improperly brought online between January and July
2016, but was limited to the Los Angeles market. No previous ratings will
be rereleased nor was there a major impact on any stations ratings.

As communicated on August 22, out of an abundance of caution 35 homes were
removed from the Los Angeles August PPM survey because quality protocols
were not followed.

We have completed an impact analysis for all months in 2016. The analysis
compares estimates without the affected homes to the originally published
estimates. These homes had extremely light radio exposure overall and there
was zero impact on total radio listening. In addition, there was no
material impact on station-level ratings during the months of January
through July. Therefore, the Los Angeles data we have previously published
will not be reissued. Impact data is available to clients upon request.

When this issue was identified in early August, we launched a comprehensive
investigation to determine root cause, what actions, if any, may be
required for prior months in 2016 and whether this issue affected other PPM
markets.

The investigation determined that an isolated personnel issue caused
several households to be improperly brought online between January and July
2016. Additionally, the investigation confirmed that this issue was
isolated to Los Angeles and that no media outlets were involved.

Nielsen is constantly innovating new compliance checks to ensure the
quality of its PPM panel. In this specific case, Nielsen moved quickly to
identify the root cause and immediately took corrective action.

Original Report 8/22: Nielsen Audio sent out a memo to clients this
afternoon that it has found irregular compliance patterns affecting 35
households in the Los Angeles PPM survey.

Nielsen is removing the 35 households affecting 55 PPM holders from the
August 2016 week 3, week 4 and monthly releases. The company says that 2%
of the average daily in-tab and less than 1% of listening in those weeks
were affected. Further investigation in to prior survey releases and other
markets will be made.

As part of Nielsens ongoing quality assurance program, we identified
irregular compliance patterns in select PPM homes in the Los Angeles metro
area. We conducted an extensive investigation which determined that
Nielsen’s quality standards were not followed. Out of an abundance of
caution, we removed 35 households, which represented 55 average daily
in-tab persons for the first two weeks of August. This accounts for 2% of
the average daily in-tab and contributed less than 1% of listening for
these weeks.

The Nielsen PPM August 2016 Week 3, Week 4 and monthly data releases will
exclude these homes. The data will release as originally scheduled.

We are conducting an impact analysis of 2016 data for the LA market to
determine what, if any, actions may be required for prior months. We will
be in constant communication with our Los Angeles clients to ensure they
are kept updated on the results of the impact analysis and plans moving
forward.

We are also investigating all other PPM markets and conducting an
aggressive review of protocols and will be taking a number of steps to
prevent recurrence. Nielsen is committed to upholding the highest standards
of data integrity and market transparency in order to provide the most
effective audience measurement solutions to meet client needs.

We will continue to actively update clients and the industry on our
findings and steps moving forward.