Old January 5th 17, 12:07 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.info

Default RadioInsight for Wednesday 4 January 2017

RadioInsight

Robin Rock Returns To WLIT Chicago

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...-wlit-chicago/

After exiting the station shortly after the station relaunched as 93.9
My-FM in 2013, Robin Rock is rejoining 93.9 WLIT Chicago for middays.

Rock replaces Brooke Hunter who exited at the end of 2016. Since departing
WLIT she had remained with iHeartMedia voicetracking for other stations
across the country. She previously spent 16 years in middays at WLIT.

93.9 MYfm announced today that noted local radio personality Robin Rock
will return as midday host, effective immediately. The show will broadcast
live weekdays from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. from the 93.9 MYfm studio.

The interactive midday show will feature the best variety of music and will
include daily features such as the 80’s Throwback Lunch, which will play a
full hour of 80’s music. In addition to hosting her show, Rock will be
visible in the Chicagoland community and will lend her support to various
nonprofit organizations.

“For nearly two decades, Robin Rock has been Chicagoland’s companion at the
workplace,” said Mick Lee, Program Director for 93.9 MYfm. “Her talent, her
passion for the music and her wealth of market knowledge is a great
addition to our lineup. We are happy to have her back home at 93.9 MYfm!”

Rock, a 30-year veteran, began her radio career as an on-air personality in
Rensselaer, Indiana before moving to Valparaiso and South Bend, Indiana.
She first came to 93.9 MYfm nearly 20 years ago as midday show host and
spent over a 16 years with the station. Since 2013, Rock has served as a
midday personality on various iHeartMedia stations across the country.

“It is a true honor to come home to my iHeartMedia family in Chicago,” said
Rock. “I’m beyond excited to tag along at work with the same folks in
Chicago and Northwest Indiana that I have come to know and love nearly 20
years. It is an honor to do what I love and to do it once again on my
favorite station. It just doesn’t get any better than this, and I’m beyond
grateful to iHeartMedia for their faith in me!”

Los Angeles Times: Univision wins FCC waiver to let its Mexican partner,
Televisa, increase ownership stake

http://www.latimes.com/business/holl...104-story.html

Marilyn Russell Joins 98.1 WOGL's Breakfast Club

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...reakfast-club/

After exiting mornings at Variety Hits 95.7 Ben-FM WBEN-FM Philadelphia
when Beasley closed on the acquisition of Greater Media, Marilyn Russell is
joining CBS Radio Classic Hits 98.1 WOGL as part of its Breakfast Club.

Russell will fill the spot vacated by the departure of Valerie Knight last
month alongside Frank Lewis and Bill Zimpfer. Russell has worked in the
Philadelphia market since 1993 at Alternative 103.9 WDRE, Y100 WPLY, Rock
93.3 WMMR, and from 2007-2016 in mornings at WBEN-FM.

Marilyn Russell will join the 98.1 WOGL Breakfast Club, weekdays from 5:30
am-9 am, beginning Monday, January 9. She joins co-hosts Frank Lewis and
Bill Zimpfer.

“Marilyn’s got tons of enthusiasm and a rich history of delivering
compelling Philadelphia morning radio,” said WOGL Program Director Anne
Gress. “I’m excited about the fresh, new perspective she’ll bring to the
show alongside Frank and Bill, and look forward to her contributions both
on-air and at our many events. Our listeners will love spending their
mornings with the new Breakfast Club.”

“I feel as though someone is going to pinch me and Ill wake up from a
dream. To be asked to join 98.1 WOGL, a station with such great heritage
here in Philly is completely mind-blowing,” said Russell. “I feel extremely
blessed and lucky to do the best radio possible with a great crew!”

Russell, a Philadelphia native, started in radio in 1993 at Philly’s modern
rock, 103.9 WDRE. Alternative music was just beginning to take hold and
Russell hosted the new music show and local music show. She was also the
station’s music director.

In 1998 she hosted mornings with co-hosts Preston Elliot and Steve Morrison
at Y100. Russell then joined Greater Media in 2003 where she worked at both
WMGK and the Ben FM morning show. In 2004 she began writing “Woman of the
Week,” a blog celebrating extraordinary achievements by local and national
women which later became a radio show on Ben FM. The show has helped
various non-profits publicize events, programs and fund-raisers of all
kinds.

Dick Taylor: Best of the Blog 2016

https://dicktaylorblog.com/2017/01/0...the-blog-2016/

Daily Domains 1/4: Another Change On The Way Now In Houston

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/n...ow-in-houston/

On the heels of CBS flipping CHR Hot 95.7 KKHH Houston to Adult Hits 95.7
The Spot, the dominoes are starting to fall into place as another station
prepares a change. Also a number of domains for 97.7 Boston as it prepares
to debut its new format.
This content is for Premium Annual and Premium Monthly members only. Visit
the site and log in/register to read.

Rhode Island Public Radio Acquires WUMD

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...acquires-wumd/

Rhode Island Public Radio has announced the acquisition of Student-run 89.3
WUMD North Dartmouth MA from University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth for $1.5
million and $60,000 worth of underwriting over ten years.

RIPR intends to move WUMD to Tiverton RI where it will cover the eastern
third of the state and the New Bedford/Fall River MA market. The network is
currently heard on their owned 102.7 WRNI-FM Narragansett Pier as well as
The Wheeler Schools 88.1 WELH Providence and Coventry Public Schools 91.5
WCVY Coventry RI.

RIRP states that UMass-Dartmouth will continue to operate WUMD as a
webcaster.

Chuck 'DZL' Thompson Named WRXL Program Director

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...gram-director/

iHeartMedia Alternative XL 102 WRXL Richmond has appointed Chuck DZL
Thompson as Program Director/Midday host.

Thompson joins WRXL from sister Alternative 106.5 The End WEND Charlotte,
where he has served as APD/afternoon host since 2009. He also has tracked
for iHearts Premium Choice Alternative and Active Rock stations.

He succeeds Dustin Fletcher, who transferred to Alt 104.9 KLLT St. Louis in
November.

iHeartMedia announced today that Chuck “DZL” Thompson has been named
Program Director and midday host for XL102, Richmond’s Alternative Rock,
effective immediately. XL102 has a strong cross-platform presence and
broadcasts several popular personalities including Elliot In The Morning,
Tamo, Alex Mac and Mel Taylor and produces legendary marquee events
including Big Field Day and the Miracle on Broad Street holiday concert
series.

iHeartMedia has massive consumer reach and influence across multiple
platforms and delivers more live programming than any other media company,
and Thompson will be responsible for the day-to-day programming operations
of XL 102. He will work closely with on-air personalities and sales to
oversee the stations on-air content, digital footprint and music
programming.

“XL102 is an extremely valuable heritage station in our iHeartMedia
Richmond market,” said Zac Davis, Senior Vice President of Programming for
iHeartMedia Richmond. “We needed to find the right fit to oversee its day
to day operations – someone who had good relationships with our label
partners and had experience in coordinating and managing large scale
events. DZL stood out as someone who possessed this unique skill set and
we’re looking forward to having him lead our XL102 brand.”

Thompson has over two decades of experience in the radio industry, most
recently spending 8 years as Assistant Program Director/Music Director and
afternoon host for WEND-FM in Charlotte, NC. His background also includes
programming and promotions positions in Rochester, Atlanta, Columbia and
Canton, GA.

“I’m beyond grateful for my time in Charlotte at WEND-FM where I learned
from among the best in the business,” said Thompson. “I’m honored and
excited to get to Richmond and immerse myself in the culture of the city as
well as continue to build the XL102 brand.”

Stephen A. Smith Returns To ESPN 98.7 New York & 710 Los Angeles

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...0-los-angeles/

After two years on SiriusXMs Mad Dog Radio channel 82, Stephen A. Smith is
moving his radio show back to ESPNs 98.7 WEPN-FM New York and 710 KSPN Los
Angeles.

The show will air live in both markets from 1-3pm eastern/10am-12pm
pacific, while also airing on SiriusXMs channel 80. To make room for Smith
in New York, Rich Hahn and Rick Humpty DiPietro will move from 1-3pm to
10am to 1pm. No word yet on the status of Mychal Thompson and Mike Trudell,
who air from 9am-12pm on 710 KSPN.

Other changes created by these moves include the move of ESPN Radios Dan Le
Batard Show with Stugotz from 98.7 WEPN-FM to sister ESPN Deportes 1050
WEPN from 12-2pm and the first two hours of Russillo Kanell will be
carried by SiriusXMs ESPN Xtra 81.

Stephen A. Smith has hosted shows for ESPN Radio in New York from 2005-2008
and 2011-2014. From 2011-2012 he also hosted an evening show for 710 KSPN.

100.3 The Biz Debuts As Answer Moves In Jacksonville

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...-jacksonville/

atWith the move of Conservative Talk The Answer 600 WBOB Jacksonvilles
translator to 101.1 W266CX, Chesapeake-Portsmouth Broadcasting has launched
Business 100.3 The Biz on 100.3 W262AG Jacksonville and Queen of Peace
Radios 1600 WZNZ Atlantic Beach FL.

The new format currently features Bloomberg programming with the exception
of On Call w/ Asa Andrew from 9pm-1am weekdays.

With the move of WBOB to 101.1, the station has also made a programming
change as the station picks up Mike Gallagher for 9am-12pm and moves Laura
Ingraham from that timeslot to 9pm-12am.

WZNZ had been originating the programming for Chesapeake-Portsmouth Oldies
102.3 The Beach W272CQ. That translator is now fed by iHeartMedias 101.5
WSOL-HD2 Brunswick GA.

WATX Relaunches As "News Talk 94.1" WUCT

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...alk-94-1-wuct/

Stonecom News/Talk 1600 WATX Algood/100.9 W265BC Cookeville TN has moved
its FM signal to 94.1 W231DG Cookeville as it rebrands as News Talk 94.1.

The station has changed call letters to WUCT standing for Where Upper
Cumberland Talks to match its branding. The new 94.1 translator from the
250 mile waiver move operates with 250w/194m, whereas 100.9 operates with
just 250w/26m.

No word yet on what programming will replace WUCT on 100.9.

WHOL/WEST Relaunches As Mega 99.5

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...-as-mega-99-5/

Lehigh Valley Broadcasting Association Spanish Tropical La Ola Radio 1400
WEST/99.5 W258BM Easton/1600 WHOL Allentown PA relaunched on New Years Day
as Mega 99.5.

The change comes as Hispanic Radio Broadcasting LLC led by Victor VJ Mar
Martinez takes over operations of the station. Martinez, who most recently
served as Program Director of El Zol 1340 WHAT Philadelphia, will serve as
morning host as well.