Old January 20th 17, 11:20 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.info

Default RadioInsight for Friday 20 January 2017

RadioInsight

San Antonio Express-News: IHeartMedia extends deadline on bond exchange

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...e-10871683.php

Danny Meyers Joins Movin 107.7 Norfolk As PD/Morning Host

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...dmorning-host/

iHeartMedia Rhythmic AC Movin 107.7 WMOV-FM Norfolk VA has named Danny
Meyers as its new Program Director/Morning Host.

Meyers exited Mel Wheeler Inc. CHR K92 92.3 WXLK Roanoke as APD/Morning
host after fourteen years at the end of 2016 in preparation of joining
WMOV-FM. He has also worked at 95.5 WPLJ New York, Star 93.7 WQSX Boston,
and Mix 95.7 WMWX Philadelphia in his career. Meyers supplants Chuck Doud
in mornings at WMOV after Doud left in November to join WHRO Public Media
as Director of Radio and Audience Strategy. Tricia remains in place as
co-host.

WHAT:

iHeartMedia Norfolk’s Movin 107.7, Hampton Roads Feel Good Music, announced
today that Danny Meyers has been named the new Program Director and morning
personality. Meyers will oversee Movin 107.7’s on-air content and music
programming, as well as broadcast the local morning show with his
perspective on pop culture and community news.

Previously, Meyers hosted the top-rated morning show at WXLK-FM in Roanoke,
VA for more than 10 years. Prior to that he served as the night personality
at WPLJ-FM in New York City and was the Assistant Program Director and
Music Director for WQSX-FM in Boston.

Movin 107.7 is a leading media outlet in the Norfolk market and its content
is available across multiple platforms, including its broadcast station;
online via its branded digital site, http://movin1077.iheart.com; mobile;
and social, with nationwide listening through iHeartRadio, the all-in-one
streaming music and live radio service – with its more than a billion
downloads and 95 million registered users.

WHEN:

Danny can be heard with co-host Tricia weekday mornings 6-10am.

QUOTES:

I’m excited to start a new chapter at Movin’ 107.7 and become part of the
iHeartMedia Norfolk family, especially after a record-setting revenue year
for the station,” Danny Meyers. “I know the team is ready for an even
bigger 2017!

“I’ve been a big fan of Danny for many years because he is one of those
talented people you hear about through his amazing accomplishments,” said
Tias Schuster, Senior Vice President of Programming for iHeartMedia
Norfolk. “We are lucky to add him to the team in Norfolk and know his
leadership and skills will shake up morning drive in Hampton Roads.”

“We are excited to bring Danny to Hampton Roads as Program Director of
Movin 107.7 and entertain our listeners during their morning commute,” said
Derrick Martin, Market President for iHeartMedia Norfolk.

Seattle High School Station Building A Bridge To New Identity

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...-new-identity/

Mercer Island High Schools Rhythmic CHR Hot Jamz 88.9 KMIH Mercer
Island/Seattle WA is stunting with a broad mix of music as it prepares to
relaunch as 88.9 The Bridge.

The new identity will launch at 12pm on Tuesday, January 31. KMIH is also
currently heard on 94.5 K233BU, which covers downtown Seattle, however it
was sold to Bonneville in November for $300,000 and will soon begin
rebroadcasting Conservative Talk 770 KTTH.

KMIH is run by General Manager/Instructor Joe Bryant. Bryant is best known
as as the longtime producer/co-host of The Bob Rivers Show on 99.9 KISW,
102.5 KZOK, and 95.7 KJR-FM.

101.3 The Brew Grand Rapids Adds Rover's Morning Glory

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...morning-glory/

iHeartMedia Classic Rock 101.3 The Brew WBFX Grand Rapids has added the
syndicated Rovers Morning Glory for mornings.

Rover replaces local host LT.

101.3 The Brew, The Brew Rocks Grand Rapids, announced today the debut of
the Rover’s Morning Glory show, effective January 23, 2017. Rover’s Morning
Glory will air weekdays from 6 – 10 a.m.

Rover’s Morning Glory features on-air personalities Rover, Duji, Dieter,
Charlie and Jeffrey, who focus on pop culture, topical humor and the
biggest guests in the world of music, movies, sports and entertainment. The
morning show features a variety of popular daily and weekly segments
including The Shizzy, The Thursday Hook-Up and Tech Tuesday. The show
plans to broadcast from Grand Rapids throughout the year with appearances
at some of West Michigan’s biggest events.

“Were excited to be on 101.3 The Brew in Grand Rapids, a city that has more
craft beer breweries than anywhere else on the planet. Its a perfect match,
since my staff has consumed more craft beer than any other radio show on
the planet,” said Rover. “We’re going to give the great people of Grand
Rapids our unique take on the world, so expect the unexpected!”

“We are thrilled to add Rover’s Morning Glory to 101.3 The Brew,” said
Casey Krukowski, Program Director for 101.3 The Brew. “The show is funny,
irreverent, topical and like nothing else on the radio in West Michigan.”

Rover’s Morning Glory will continue to broadcast from its flagship station,
WMMS in Cleveland, OH, and its reach includes the RMG-TV live videocast of
the show, which streams daily on the interactive www.RoverRadio.com and the
RMG mobile app. The show is syndicated across several markets nationwide
and recently hosted its ninth annual RoverFest, a live concert and
community event that attracted over 20,000 attendees and featured
performances from established and rising star recording artists and a
fireworks display as well as highlighted locally owned businesses

101.3 The Brew is a leading media outlet in the Grand Rapids market and its
content is available across multiple platforms, including its broadcast
station; online via its branded digital site; mobile; and social, with
nationwide listening through iHeartRadio, the all-in-one streaming music
and live radio service – with its more than a billion downloads and 95
million registered users.

About Rover

Shane “Rover” French is a 19-year radio veteran who began his career in his
hometown of Las Vegas in 1996. He has been an on-air personality in
several cities including Knoxville, TN; Denver, CO; Los Angeles, CA;
Seattle, WA; and Chicago, IL. Rover has become one of the nation’s most
popular on-air personalities. Rover’s Morning Glory was a hit from the
first day it aired in Cleveland in 2003.

Sean Ross: Intriguing Stations of 2016, Part II

http://blogtrans.megatrax.com/intrig...-2016-part-ii/

KFTE Adds Walton & Johnson And Flips To Classic Rock

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...-classic-rock/

Townsquare Medias Ft. Collins/Lafayette Divestiture Trust has flipped
Active Rock Planet 105.1 KFTE Abbeville/Lafayette LA to Classic Rock to
coincide with the addition of Walton Johnson for mornings.

Walton Johnsons show debuted on Tuesday replacing Free Beer Hot Wings.
The addition of KFTE fills in the coverage in Lafayette caused by the
switch in Baton Rouge from Guaranty Broadcastings Eagle 98.1 WDGL to
iHeartMedias 1150 WJBO/97.7 K249DV. The musical shift followed on Thursday,
January 19 along with the rebranding to Classic Rock 105.1.

Washington Post: Andy Pollins 25-year run at ESPN 980 comes to an end

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c7a350210f29

Station Sales Week Of 1/20: Power On The Move In Phoenix

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...ve-in-phoenix/

Translator Sales

After closing on its $175,000 purchase of 96.1 K241BQ Fort McDowell AZ from
John Lows 1TV.com, MKhanGroup LLC. turns around and sells the translator to
Riviera Broadcasting for $230,000. K241BQ already holds a CP to relocate to
Phoenix South Mountain tower farm with 120w vertical/449m rebroadcasting an
HD subchannel of Rivieras 103.9 KZON Gilbert. The sale filing also mentions
Riviera needs K241BQ to replace 101.9 K270BZ due to interference complaints
filed by Gila 101.9 KQSS Miami AZ. K270BZ simulcasts the programming of
Rhythmic CHR Power 98.3 KKFR Mayer via KZON-HD3 to cover the eastern side
of the market.
Station Sales

Universal Media Access sells South Asian Desi 1170 KLOK San Jose CA to Tron
Dinh Dos KLOK Media for $6 million. Do owns Vietnamese 1290 KAZA Gilroy/San
Jose as well as Vietnamese stations in the Atlanta and Dallas markets.
Universal Media Access retains Bolly 92.3 KSJO San Jose.

Cumulus Media is selling CBS Sports 1230 KRUZ Murray/Salt Lake City UT to
Pentecostal Church of God for $55,000. KRUZ has been operating from a
temporary unipole antenna after a brush fire destroyed its tower in March
2015.

Charles Welch is transferring Urban 107.3 The Juice WJUC Swanton/Toledo OH
to Fleming Street Communications, a new holding company run by his five
children for no consideration.

Family Life Broadcasting sells 98.1 WILP Cuba IL to Brent Lee and Mathew
Moores Spoon River Media for $30,000.

The estate of Chester Coleman reclaims News/Talk Valley News Talk 1020 KVNT
Eagle River/Anchorage AK from Alaska Integrated Media after the company
defaulted on the final $180,000 of its $400,000 purchase of the station in
2006. Colemans estate turns around to sell the station to Christian
Broadcasting, which has been operating it via Time Brokerage Agreement
since April 2015, for $214,000. Christian Broadcasting had previously
agreed to purchase KVNT from Alaska Integrated Media for $260,500 when it
began operating it via TBA.

Cactus Communications sells Variety KKAY Global Radio 1590 KKAY White
Castle LA to Liberty In Christ Jesus Minisrty (spelling as is) for
$182,000. The buyer has been operating the station via Time Brokerage
Agreement since February 2013

Saga Acquires University Of Virginia's 92.7 WUVA Charlottesville

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...arlottesville/

Saga will pay $1.65 million for WUVA.

Additionally, WUVA General Manager David Mitchell told Cavalier Daily to
expect a continuation of Country programming on the station. He told the
paper, In this case, a country product with a great signal completes Saga’s
market portfolio. I would expect a country continuance.

Original Report 1/17: Saga Communications is acquiring WUVA Inc.s Country
92.7 Nash Icon WUVA Charlottesville VA for an undisclosed amount.

WUVA Inc. is a 501(c)3 non-profit owned and operated by University of
Virginia students and alumni to train students in commercial radio
operation. The funds from the sale of the station will go to fund its
digital and video journalism platform WUVANews.com as it evolves with
modern communications.

Saga will not retain the WUVA call letters. The station will become Sagas
sixth in the Charlottesville market.

After operating a Charlottesville radio station for 70 years, including 37
years as a commercial FM station, today the University of Virginia
student-owned media organization, WUVA, Inc., announced that it has agreed
to sell its radio station WUVA-FM 92.7 to Saga Communications, Inc. (NYSE
MKT: SGA).

WUVA, Inc., owned and operated by University of Virginia students since
1947, will continue to serve the University and Charlottesville communities
through its growing online news platform, WUVANews.com
(http://wuvanews.com/). Launched in 2011, WUVA News has become a leading
source of journalism on Grounds, producing high-quality written and video
news content.

“It certainly is bittersweet to transition out of FM radio. But on behalf
of WUVA’s student leadership, I’m very excited to focus on completing our
transition to a digital-first news organization with expanded production
capabilities – and now with an endowment to support our future,” said
Kailey Leinz (College ’17), WUVA President. “We will remain a strong,
independent editorial voice at the University of Virginia.”

“WUVA has a rich tradition as a broadcaster and as a training ground for
scores of leaders in media over its history,” said Edward Swindler, WUVA
Alumni Board Member (College ‘76, Grad AS ’82, Darden ’84) and a 32-year
NBC Universal executive. The sale proceeds will endow our digital news
organization, enable us to modernize our reporting and delivery, and reach
the UVA and Charlottesville communities on more relevant platforms. Our
focus on digital video will also better prepare graduating students to
compete and lead in a rapidly-evolving media environment.”

“A fiscally secure and expanded WUVA News will also cooperate more closely
with the University of Virginia’s renowned Media Studies Department and
emerging Center for Media and Citizenship,” said Richard Marks (College
’66), General Counsel for WUVA. The Center was co-founded by WUVA and the
Media Studies Department in 2012 with a grant from the Jefferson Trust.
“Our thanks to the University and Charlottesville communities for their
continued support of WUVA as we evolve our media strategy for the 21st
century.”

“It’s been an honor to serve Charlottesville as a commercial FM radio
station. We know Saga Communications will be a worthy steward of our FM
facility, as it has a long tradition as an outstanding local broadcaster,”
said David Mitchell, General Manager of WUVA-FM, 92.7 Nash Icon. “Saga’s
ownership of 92.7 FM will benefit Charlottesville’s listeners, the entire
University of Virginia community, and 92.7 FM’s advertisers.”

Edward K. Christian, President and Chief Executive Officer of Saga
Communications, said, “We have enjoyed working with everybody at WUVA, Inc.
and are looking forward to adding the station to our radio group, allowing
us to expand our service to the Charlottesville community. Saga intends to
continue building its business in both the radio and television markets by
identifying and acquiring middle market stations.”

WUVA’s sale to Saga is subject to Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
approval. The sale is expected to close in early 2017. As a part of the
agreement, WUVA will retain all rights to the “WUVA” trademark and all
assets related to the operation of WUVA News.

As a non-profit corporation, WUVA, Inc. will continue to raise funds for
its investments in local journalism and the training of University of
Virginia students in video and print journalism and media operations.
Donations to the Campaign for WUVA News to support its operations and
endowment for the future can be made at:
http://wuva-fm.com/campaign-for-wuva/.

Erie Non-Comm Classic Hits Station To Move To Commercial Operation

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...ial-operation/

Mercyhurst University will transfer the format of Classic Hits 88.5 WMCE-FM
Erie PA to Erie Radio Company to place on their new 100.9 CP when it
launches.

The transfer will be part of a multi-step multi-frequency move over the
next 12-18 months. The first step will see Connoisseur Media Rock Rocket
101 WRKT North East build out its CP to relocate to 104.9 with 4.5kW/160.5m
from the tower utilized by WMCE-FM and 103.7 WRTS. Next Erie Radio Company
will need to build its CP for their new allocation on 100.9 licensed to
Westfield NY with 4.6kW/237m. After launching, the new 100.9 and WMCE-FM
will simulcast for multiple weeks to transfer the audience to the new
signal.

The Erie Times-News reports that WMCE-FM intends to switch from the
professionally run operation to student based when the current format moves
to 100.9. Erie Radio Company head Rick Rambaldo intends to hire the
stations staff as well.

Mark Mason Returns To KEX

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...eturns-to-kex/

iHeartMedia Conservative Talk 1190 KEX Portland OR has announced the return
of Mark Mason for 12-3pm duties starting Monday, January 23.

Mason and co-host Dave Anderson exited the 3-5pm slot at KEX in July 2013
after 18 yeas at the station. The duo moved to Pamplin Media Groups 860
KPAM until Andersons death in early 2016 and Masons exit in November. He
will now replace Michael Castner, who departed in November, back at KEX.

Mason will continue to serve as public address announcer for the NBAs
Portland Trail Blazers.

News Radio 1190 KEX, Portland’s News, Traffic Weather station, announced
today the debut of the Mark Mason Show, a new midday program with local
on-air personality Mark Mason, effective immediately. Mason, who will
return to the station after a three-year hiatus, will broadcast weekdays
from noon to 3 p.m.

Mason will entertain Portland listeners with his uplifting perspective on
pop culture, national news, politics and currents events, as well as
reports on local news, traffic and weather.

“We are thrilled to have Mark back home at KEX where he belongs. The place
just hasn’t been the same without him,” said Cort Webber, Program Director
for News Radio 1190 KEX. “We’re excited to kick off a new year and a new
administration with a new show from an old friend.”

Previously, Mason co-hosted News Radio 1190 KEX’s Mark and Dave Show for 18
years with Dave Anderson, who passed away in 2016 from pancreatic cancer.

“After I lost my good friend and co-host Dave Anderson, my perspective on
life changed and I wanted to return the Portland community that embraced
me,” said Mason. “I’m excited to return to the KEX family and bring my 100%
hate-free brand of talk radio back to Portland.”

Mason will continue to serve as the public address announcer for the
Portland Trailblazers, a role he has held for 21 years.