Old February 24th 17, 12:10 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.info

Default RadioInsight for Thursday 23 February 2017

RadioInsight

January 2017 (1/5 - 2/1) Nielsen Audio PPM Ratings Day 3

http://us6.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...e=75862 030d3

Alternative Bridge Built In Paducah

http://radioinsight.com/headlines/11...lt-in-paducah/

Stratemeyer Media launched Alternative 103.3 The Bridge W277CH Paducah KY
in late January.

Positioned as Western Kentuckys Only Alternative, the new format flanks
sister Rock 98.3 WJLI-FM Metropolis IL. Reed Phillips, Operations Manager
for Stratemeyers cluster and morning co-host at WJLI-FM, serves as Program
Director for the station.

The Paducah Sun reports states the station is bridging (pun intended) the
gap between Alternative and AAA with deeper album cuts from artists such as
Twenty One Pilots and emphasizing new artists.

And The Best Positioning of Today

http://radioinsight.com/blogs/116647...ning-of-today/

Despite the pedestrian nature of many current radio station positioners,
and my fears that they’re making radio sound small at the wrong time, I’m
still able to find some current ones that stand out for me.

I liked KROQ Los Angeles’ “Alternative First,” a slogan which it is now
playing down, in tandem with going more gold-based again. That liner
simultaneously claimed the music discovery position and asserted the
station heritage against KYSR (Alt 98.7).

I like that stations want to be “Number One for Music Discovery.” But I
often hear it next to the song that is already a sub-power on a station and
has been playing for 13 weeks—because if that slogan were used on music
that was truly new, stations could use it only about eight times a day. It
also takes something personal and joyful like music discovery and couches
it in radio-speak. An even better stager would be: “Z109: Have You Heard
This?” But only on songs where the listener can’t respond, “Yeah, about
seven months ago.”

(Reader Kevin Quinn adds that he’s “pretty proud of ‘Where Houston Meets
Music,’ used as a secondary positioner for his employer, 104.1 KRBE.” “From
the brilliant mind of our PD, Leslie Whittle, it so clearly defines us as
the place listeners can go to not only hear their favorite songs but
interact with the artists.” And IMGR’s Chris Nicoll cites BBC Radio 1’s
“Where It Begins” handle for their adventurous Top 40 mix” as well as Nova
Australia’s current “Live Life.”)

I like “positive and encouraging,” the slogan used in some form throughout
Christian AC, including the K-Love network. “Positive and encouraging” has
pushed “safe for the whole family” to secondary sell status. And, for me,
it better encapsulates what makes the format more than just “soft favorites
of yesterday and today” to its listeners.

I like WKLH Milwaukee’s “Hometown Rock 96.5.” Just as sister WLZR used
“Everything That Rocks” as a way of broadening its Active Rock format a
decade ago, the new slogan entirely untethers WKLH from its old “Classic
Hits” position. Interestingly, WKLH seems to be channeling those stations
in shadow markets that used to position itself as, say, Ann Arbor’s own.”
But today, as radio becomes increasingly national, hometown pride can be
for anybody.

(The original version of the positioner hasn’t gone away, either. Drew
Walker cites “locally owned and operated WLGE Sturgeon Bay, Wis., with its
promise of, “Credible Artists, Incredible Tunes. Door County’s own FM
106.9, the Lodge.”)

I’ve gotten worn out by era-based positioners, but I like hearing CHBM
Toronto sell “’70s, ‘80s, ‘90s, Boom! 97.3,” because of the
attention-getting way that the station name punctuates what would otherwise
be a laundry list.

Like a lot of readers, what I often notice is the little flourishes, not
necessarily the chief positioning statement. A few years ago, I once heard
WHTZ (Z100) New York use a listener drop identifying the station as home of
“the current music.” Because while “current” was once the most inside of
inside words, it made more sense now that keeping current with today’s
music had become more of an issue with adults.

iHeart Radio’s Tony Coles had already mentioned it from the dais at the
Radio Show panel we did together last September, but what I remember from
my last listen to KHKS (Kiss 106.1) Dallas is not “Dallas/Fort Worth’s Hit
Music,” but the “Texas, Y’all” thrown in at the end of the legal ID. And
now sister KHFI (Kiss FM) Austin is using it as well.

Then again, “Texas” is long established as a sort of positioner unto
itself. As a late ‘90s phenomenon, KPLX used “Texas Country” as its chief
slugline, although I had to be reminded of it. What I remember was the
station’s “Code of the Wolf” promos, in which nurturing the young and
respecting your elders were described as station values.

It was also on iHeart Dallas’ new KDGE (Star 102.1) that I heard host Rick
O’Bryan, doing a music teaser as part of the :00 ID, declare that “music
variety means everything from Kelly Clarkson to Prince and Rihanna.” I
don’t know if that was structured, or just an individual personality’s
creativity. And when I featured the break in my Radio’s Best Worst column,
some readers wrote that it didn’t sound much like variety to them at all.
But I thought it was so much better than “coming up, music from.”

I’m expecting readers to tell me that this doesn’t seem like a particularly
long list to them. Maybe it’s because of a paucity of fresh ideas. Maybe
it’s because some stations feel they can move away from slug lines and use
listener testimonials. The new KROI (Radio Now 92.1) Houston doesn’t have a
main positioner, but debuted with consistently clever stagers, many of them
built around the current buzzword “lit.”

Normally, I’m always afraid of being reminded of synapse lapses and sins of
omission, but if readers chime in with more of their favorites, or remind
me of some of mine that I’ve forgotten, it will be encouraging because it
means that more creativity exists. For now, here are some existing listener
favorites.

RadioInsight publisher Lance Venta writes, “I like the ‘Different Is Good’
positioner used by Saga’s Triple-A stations off the top of my head. Also,
Alphas We 96.3 Portland, Ore., tying the word “We” into everything they do.
And it’s sad thats all that comes to mind in terms of what Ive heard
recently.” Reader Marty Butler also mentions WRSI Springfield, Mass., and
its use of “Different is Good.”

Ian March of Rogers/Kingston, Ont., offers Urban AC CKFG (G98.7) Toronto’s
“The Way We Groove.” He also liked the just-announced slogan for the
U.K.-based online station targeting builders and tradesmen: “Fix Radio:
We’re Nailing It.”

Toronto area CKGE (94.9 the Rock) MD Bob Willette is the former PD of
Toronto’s LGBT-targeted “Proud FM,” positioned as “Unlike Anything You’ve
Heard.” *“Our research showed that it resonated with our audience. They
took pride in listening to something different that was specifically for
them and their community. As an ally I am still a fan of that positioner.”

WJFX (Hot 107.9) Fort Wayne, Ind., PD Robbie Mack mentions sister WBTU
(US93.3) and its “get your country on.” (Tom Lawler notes that his
employer, WRNS Coastal N.C., is also “Your Country,” with its focus on the
listener and not the station.) Mack also likes the “Better Music for a
Better Workday” slogan used by many of the Entercom ACs and throughout the
Mainstream AC format.

Al Moss cites Nashville’s WMOT, a station that I really should have
included in “Intriguing Stations of 2016” for its commitment to full-time
Americana in the format’s capital. Their slogan, “Americana Deep and Wide”
is “a totally accurate description . . . they sound fabulous.”

Also: Triple-A WXPN Philadelphia’s “Curated, not Encoded.” – Scott Lowe;

“In Austin, Texas, we’re ‘The Capital of Classic Hits.” – 105.3 the Bat’s
Drew Bennett;

PD Jimmy Fink notes that Triple-A WXPK (the Peak) Westchester County has,
for a while, been twisting the format’s best known positioner: “World Class
Rock for New York’s backyard—yeah, we live here, too.” I love the Peak, and
one of the best things about it is that the mix of eras and styles could
never be encapsulated into a typical slug line.

San Antonio Express-News: IHeartMedia back in the black, reports profit
after 27 straight quarterly losses

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...t-10953440.php

FCC Approves Giving Translators More Flexibility From AM Distance

http://radioinsight.com/headlines/11...m-am-distance/

The FCC has approved the proposal detailed below expanding the flexibility
of FM translators rebroadcasting AM stations.

The Federal Communications Commission today expanded the site locations
where FM translators can rebroadcast AM radio stations. The amended rule
provides greater flexibility for an AM station to place a rebroadcasting FM
translator in a location where it will better serve its AM station’s
listeners.

AM radio stations that want to improve their service area with a clearer
signal can do so by using an FM translator, which receives the AM signal
and re-broadcasts it on an FM frequency. This is particularly useful for
the many AM stations forced to reduce their power at night, since the FM
translator can operate at the same power 24 hours a day.

At issue is a current FCC rule that may make finding a location for these
translators unnecessarily challenging. Under the old rule, an AM station
could place a rebroadcasting FM translator either within its daytime
service contour or within a 25-mile radius of its transmitter, whichever
distance was less. The new rule allows the rebroadcasting FM translator to
be located anywhere within the AM station’s daytime service contour or
anywhere within a 25-mile radius of the transmitter, even if the contour
extends farther than 25 miles from the transmitter.

The current rule proved too restrictive for some AM broadcasters,
especially those whose transmitters were far from their communities of
license. AM transmission systems require large amounts of land, and many AM
broadcasters have been forced to relocate to sites far from the cities they
serve, where land is available or affordable. The rule change today
especially benefits these AM stations, and also helps other AM stations
whose highly directionalized technical facilities currently limit the area
where they can locate a cross-service FM translator.

The Commission first authorized AM stations to rebroadcast over FM
translators in 2009. In 2016, two filing windows opened that enabled more
than 1,000 AM stations to acquire and relocate FM translators to
rebroadcast their signals. Because of these actions, nearly 2,000 FM
translators are currently rebroadcasting AM station signals, allowing many
AM stations previously forced to reduce or eliminate nighttime power to now
provide 24-hour service to their communities.

Today’s Order furthers the Commission’s efforts to assist AM broadcasters
in providing vital radio service to consumers throughout the country.

Original Report 2/2: At the February Open Meeting the FCC will vote on a
proposal by Chairman Ajit Pai to expand the flexibility of FM translators
rebroadcasting an AM station as part of the ongoing AM Revitalization.

Currently translators must be contained within the lesser of (a) the 2
millivolts per meter (mV/m) daytime contour of the AM station, or (b) a
25-mile radius centered at the AM transmitter site.

The proposed change rewrites the ruling to translators must be contained
within the greater of either the 2 mV/m daytime contour of the AM station
or a 25-mile (40 km) radius centered at the AM transmitter site. The
protected contour for an FM translator station is its predicted 1 mV/m
contour. The change would give translators more flexibility in reaching
parts of the markets where its AM signal does not. For example if a 1kW AM
has a null to the northeast and its protected contour only reaches say 15
miles from the tower site, the translator can now surpass the protected
contour to reach the next 10 miles.

The ruling will be voted on at the FCCs Open Meeting on February 23.
Additional proposals including the next translator filing window will be
set forth later.

Tim Roberts Promoted To CBS VP/Country Programming

http://radioinsight.com/headlines/11...y-programming/

CBS Radio has appointed Tim Roberts as Vice President of Country
Programming.

Roberts fills the position last held by former US 99.5 WUSN Chicago
programmer Jeff Kapugi prior to his exit in late 2016. Roberts will
continue in his other position as VP/Music Programming for CBS Radio
Detroit where he programs CHR 98.7 Amp Radio WDZH, Country 99.5 WYCD, and
Classic Hits 104.3 WOMC. Roberts has been with CBS since 2006, when he
joined WYCD as OM/Program Director. He has also programmed defunct Country
outlets W4 106.7 WWWW Detroit, 94.9 KSAN San Francisco, and stations in
Cedar Rapids, Charlotte, Spokane, and Youngstown.

CBS RADIO today announced the appointment of Tim Roberts to the position of
Vice President of Country Programming, effective immediately. Roberts is
currently the Vice President of Music Programming for CBS RADIO Detroit,
with direct programming oversight of Country station WYCD-FM, Classic Hits
WOMC-FM and Top 40 WDZH-FM, a role he will retain.

Roberts is a veteran country music programmer having worked in the radio
industry for the past 39 years, with 38 of those dedicated to the country
format. By adding this new role to his purview, Roberts will be CBS RADIO’s
lead liaison with the country music community, including Nashville’s top
artists, labels, and management teams. He will provide programming guidance
and expertise to the division’s 12 country stations nationwide and work
closely with the CBS RADIO Music Initiatives team to deliver live marquee
events and experiences, such as the widely popular “Stars and Strings”
annual charity concert held at the iconic Chicago Theatre.

“Tim is universally respected and admired as one of country radio’s
preeminent programmers which makes him the ideal choice to lead our
platform of more than eight million weekly listeners including many of the
format’s most recognizable brands,” said Chris Oliviero, Executive Vice
President, Programming, CBS RADIO. “When you are blessed to have a Hall of
Famer on the roster as we do in Tim, it is a no brainer to expand his reach
and influence beyond Detroit. I am excited that Tim has accepted this
additional responsibility for our company.”

“I’m ecstatic to continue my collaborations with Chris Oliviero and the
entire CBS RADIO team as I expand my role to work with the Company’s great
and iconic country brands and all-star country programmers across America,”
added Roberts.

Roberts joined CBS RADIO Detroit in 2006 as Program Director and Operations
Manager of WYCD-FM and later added duties for WOMC-FM and WDZH-FM. During
his time overseeing WYCD, the station has won a number of prestigious
accolades including a Marconi Award, two ACM Awards, a CMA Award, and a
number of Country Aircheck and MAB Awards. Roberts has been named one of
Country Radio’s Top Programmers for the last 10 years by Radio Ink magazine
and landed in the top five on this year’s list. He was inducted into the
Country Radio Hall of Fame in 2016.

Prior to joining CBS RADIO Detroit, Roberts served as a program director
and/or operations manager for stations throughout the Midwest and West,
most recently at WQXK-FM and WKKO-FM in Youngstown, Ohio, preceded by
WWWW-FM in Detroit, KSAN-FM and KNEW-AM in San Francisco, KDRK-FM and
KGA-AM in Spokane, KHAK-AM/FM in Cedar Rapids, and WKKT-FM in Charlotte.

Roberts is a Detroit native. He graduated from Central Michigan University
where he majored in Broadcast Cinematic Arts. He is currently serving on a
number of boards including the ACM’s, Country Radio Broadcasters, St. Jude
Country Cares, and Central Michigan University.

From YouTube To WRTO; Los Pichy Boys Take Mornings In Miami

http://radioinsight.com/headlines/11...ings-in-miami/

YouTube stars Los Pichy Boys, Alejandro Gonzalez and Maikel Rodriguez have
been tabbed by Univisions Spanish CHR Mix 98.3 WRTO Goulds/Miami as its new
morning show starting Monday, February 27.

The Cuba-born cousins turned what started as a series of Spanish language
movie parodies into a full-fledged production company. They do have some
prior radio experience as they co-hosted El Vacilón de Miami on SBS El Zol
95.7 WXDJ in 2008. Their videos can be seen here.

Univision Communications Inc. (UCI), the leading media company serving
Hispanic America, today announced that social media sensations Alejandro
Gonzalez and Maikel Rodriguez, better known as Los Pichy Boys, will be
joining Univision Miami to host a new morning drive radio show on WRTO Mix
98.3 FM, starting Monday, February 27th. Los Pichy Boys will be bringing
their trademark humor, spoofs and pranks that have made them a worldwide
sensation, to radio listeners in South Florida every morning from 6:00 a.m.
to 10:00 a.m. The morning show will also feature contests, giveaways and
the preferred music mix for South Florida’s vibrant and diverse audience.

“We are thrilled with the addition of Los Pichy Boys – Alejandro and Maikel
– to Mix 98.3 FM. By pairing the best of music with two of the best comedic
stars, our listeners will experience a morning drive like never before,”
said Claudia Puig, senior vice president and general manager, Univision
Miami.

Los Pichy Boys got their start in 2007 on YouTube, their clips becoming
instant classics with relatable Latin cultural references and humor. Their
company, El Pichy Films Inc., was born soon after. What was once a joke
became Alejandro and Maikel’s business. Today, the pair has a large
worldwide following; their videos have over 100 million views on YouTube.
The Boys fill the feeds of more than 100,000 adoring fans on Instagram, and
over 700,000 on Facebook.